PDA

View Full Version : A Toy for all you Windows Utility writers...

Imaginator
01-22-2003, 08:49 AM
I'm cross posting this from the EQEmu dev forum cause I'm a moron and really should have put it here, heh...

Post subject: A Toy for all you Windows Utility writers...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've began working with Melchoir on the SpawnED utility, and found an abscence in a quick and easy interface to MySQL from VB...

ODBC is clunky and slow, and other solutions I've found are quick but return native MySQL API structures. This is bad because VB grids and such heavily rely on ADODB Recordsets and such, so to populate a grid you'd need to for loop through the native MySQL structs to populate you're grid... and in VB, that sucks and is slow...

My Solution: I'm working on creating a COM interface to MySQL in VC++ that anyone should be able to call from VB and other COM enabled programming languages...

I already have the baseline of the code, and am currently adding features on an as needed basis, and squashing bugs...

So what does this mean? It means I can throw 86,000 records from the Spawn2 table into a grid in 8 seconds...

I hope to make it available to anyone who could find it useful, look here for new developments....

- Imaginator

Trumpcard
01-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Cool....

Just be ready though for all the idiots that are going to scream..

WHY? VB SUX0R or whatever the proper moron speak is..

Good job though ! That sounds useful as hell, make it easily abstractable and it could be the data access com componet for any unified set of tools.... My only issue with VB has always been the performance programs native to the languages structures...

Imaginator
01-22-2003, 12:01 PM
I agree. VB is a very powerful development tool. It's strength isn't in it's code, but in it's rapidness. I can devlop a UI in minutes with the thing. Who cares if it's slow at times, I can write the backend processing using C++. Anyone out there that thinks "VB Sucks" is ignorant of how to use it correctly :)

devn00b
01-27-2003, 08:46 AM
i once was a vb hater, only because of speed issues, but what vb lacks in speed (realy who is gonna notice 1ms load difference), it makes up for in ease of use.

i recently (thanks to melchoir mainly) decided to start to learn vb. and i find it easy nuff, tho my brain still trys to write c code. but i think i can write the bulk of a program and just anything i need " speed " for i can write a c dll and call it from vb solving that issue.

Trumpcard
01-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Yea, no different than using TCL/TK for unix interfaces hooked into C/OpenGL widgets for display. VB can do alot easily, it's flexible, adaptable, and most importantly, rapidly deployable.

Kaiyodo
01-27-2003, 09:19 AM
I'd also suggest looking at c# if you've got access to Visual Studio .NET (strictly, you don't need it to complie c#, but the enviroment does a ton of the work for you). I've been working in it a lot recently, it has the syntax of c++ with the rapid prototyping benefits of VB. It was a lot easier for me to learn that than when I've tried to learn VB :)

K.

Trumpcard
01-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Ive heard alot of good things about .net , even my friends that were anti MS and hated pretty much everything they did have been singing praises about the way .net does things. I'd love to get a version of it, just havent been able to justify dropping the dough for it now since I only do professional Java, and not C++ programming these days...