PDA

View Full Version : patchlevel synchronizing, could be a problem

madborg
02-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Verant has it's own security method by putting out so many patches that it's hard to tell the good patches from the bad patches.

Right now I am not happy with the current Verant fixes because I still get screen freezes, crashes to the desktop, and GPFs. So my tendency is to not want to patch my eqemu directory.

However, they are also doing fixes. So the question is: how to handle the Verant patches safely.
This may mean that a person keep 3 versions of EQ client stuff around.

Here is one approach:

- patch EQlive to current and test to make sure there are no killer bugs in that patchlevel-- well at least no new ones.

-make a zip of you EQEmu and delete directory

-copy EQLive directory to your EQEmu directory

-copy your eqw 2.21 (if you use eqw) to your EQEmu directory

-restore your version of eqhost.txt to EQEmu directory

I believe that this method will help you stay current but at the same time gives you a fall back point in case something really bad happens with the latest patch.

The next level of synchronizing has to do with EQEmu server and Admin tool.

I am not going to cover specifics, because each person has their own way of doing things, but here are some guidelines:

-keep your current version EQEmu and Admin Tool together so you have the right versions synchronized.

=label your database by version so you can always go back to a previous version if you need it. Or do mysqldump and then restores.

-keep you own scripts and addons in a separate place so that you can easily find your stuff -- and edit if you need it. Have a written checklist so that for every release you know exactly what you need to do.

The secret of a good kitchen is organization. It's the same with software, most of the confusion happens because things get muddled. That's why I don't like "magic". You need a consistent system so that you can start clean at any time and correctly get your system up and running in minimum time.

The basic pattern is fairly simple: believe that something will go wrong eventually. Then have a backup that you can go to.

The other pattern is be consistent. Don't evoke magic or divine intervention. If you can't do the same set of steps (from the base starting point) six times in a row and get the same results, then you have to find out why. It could very well reveal hidden states in your system. Find those hidden states and get rid of them.