PDA

View Full Version : Clean way to set up 0.2.0

madborg
01-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Well after trying to NOT use the login server, I finally gave in and decided to find out how to actually make it work.

1. make sure you have a eqhost.txt as decribed in the install guide
2. fix up your loginserver.ini with

worlname with whatever you want in there, but change it to something

for worldaddress use what ever you were using for you server IP
(mine is 192.168.1.3 -- a private IP; probably most people will have 127.0.0.1).

leave the rest alone

2. get an account from frags (see the install guide ); but DO NOT use any existing account names that you have on your local server.

4. execute on your server side world.exe and boot5zones.bat
(either don't touch the BAT or fix up IPs to match what you did before)

5. run either eqw 2.2 or eqgame patchme from you client directory

6. login with your frags name/password

7. select your server from the server list

8. create a char, enter, camp

9. shutdown the zones and world servers on your system

10. go to you mysql software and do this ( the stuff with // are comments):

mysql //program mysql in mysql/bin
use eq020 //where eq020 is the name of your eqemu database
update account set status=100 where name='madborg'
//note: madborg is my frag user name; so use your frag user name; password will be blank right now

exit mysql.

Now do 4-7 again. This time when you enter you will see your char is a GM.

Windcatcher
01-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Okay, I did all that and it worked. Congrats :) Now, two questions:

1. How exactly do I limit who can log into my server? It appears that at this point anyone can log in, and I definitely do *not* want that. Right now I use it for testing the admin tool and I want to be the only one on. Also, If I ever do run a server, I plan on having it be for close friends only.

2. I know you're not strictly the one to ask, so this is a general question to the dev team: will there be a solution for logging on locally? I do much if not most of my testing with the emu OFFLINE, usually not at home and unable to get to an isp (I also prefer it that way).

WC

Edit: Well, after reading the readme for the login server I think I can lock my server and limit it so that I can be the only one logged in; that should at least resolve my testing scenario, but I still would want to know how to limit it to a set of close friends at some point.

It's also interesting that the client is saying that I'm registered for SoL but is complaining that it can't find the content, since I haven't bought it :)

madborg
01-21-2002, 02:45 PM
agree WC -- I don't want anyone on my servers without prior written approval. I tend to run various servers and I don't want visitors stopping by. I have public servers for that.

The solution should be simple, run your own login and chat server.

Shawn319
01-21-2002, 03:40 PM
lock the server :) then only you and people specially flagged by Pyrotek (coders/dev team) can get in.

devn00b
01-21-2002, 04:05 PM
That would be all well and good sawn EXCEPT that takes time. and i for one dont want to have to wait however long it takes to play with my buddies...guess im gonna have to run 1.9 and see if i can port over all the stuff i want from 2.0 into it......and just stay with the old system....that seems to be the ONLY fix to this. short of giving us the login server program.

madborg
01-21-2002, 09:14 PM
.guess im gonna have to run 1.9 and see if i can port over all the stuff i want from 2.0 into it......and just stay with the old system....that seems to be the ONLY fix to this. short of giving us the login server program.

I wouldn't spend any more time with 0.1.9 for four reasons:

1. skybox is wrong one-- look how your sky appears
2. zone ports results in crashes from 25-50% of the time; I have yet to do a zone crash on 0.2
3. the graphics is much better with SoL and you get the SoL chars and zones
4. It's just a better installation to not have to use the eqfix and lsfix files.

TheClaus
01-22-2002, 07:39 AM
Madborg,

How are people connecting to the server if it is on a private IP. If I can do that then I will setup a server and lock it when I am not using it. That way I can fix the z coordinates on the spawns. Let me know.

madborg
01-22-2002, 07:56 AM
Madborg,

How are people connecting to the server if it is on a private IP. If I can do that then I will setup a server and lock it when I am not using it. That way I can fix the z coordinates on the spawns. Let me know.

actually they are not. In fact I have put out the challenge for anyone to try to get in to "Come get me if you can" from the login server list. I am now on my server alone and I bet one million jilllion that I will be alone the rest of the day.

Here's what happened to me yesterday. One of my computer was suppose to be "Internet visible" but for some reason it wasn't acting like it should (I couldn't telnet to the console program).

With that setup I started playing with 0.2 and saw somethings that made me security aware. I had mistaken my own inability to connect to the "Internet accessible" with the ability for others to connect. When the "tyco" message appeared, I though that "tyco" had somehow slipped through a security hole. But later I saw that I had intentional created that hole, so I closed it.

My mistake was not to follow the logic of my second step. When I closed the hole I also closed any outside access to me. But since I am accessing from inside my own net, I can still connect.

So if you just want a private server, use you own internal IP and you system is as safe as ever. You can run it 24/7 and only people on your own internal net can access it.

Zeitgeist
01-22-2002, 08:17 AM
cool, borg, we seem to have ended up in the same place =) So this takes care of anyone who has no cares about being connected whenever they want to run (I'm on cable 24/7 so *shrug*).

Hack_attack
01-23-2002, 03:55 AM
im sorry but you lost me a long time ago ?????? how did you keep people out

Zeitgeist
01-23-2002, 04:07 AM
His worldserver address in Loginserver.ini is set to an address on his local network 192.168.x.x which is not used on the 'net. So if people outside his LAN try to get to it they get disconnected whereas a local machine on the same network will also check the LAN to resolve the IP. So people on his LAN connect but people outside will not.