PDA

View Full Version : Vector Linux

O6scured
02-18-2003, 06:56 PM
http://vectorlinux.com/

Thats the linux I use. Its a type of peanut linux. I'm half a newbie in the linux world... meaning I'm not really a newbie at it just lack the experiance in it... anyways, it really seems like its better than the other stuff like gentoo and slackware especially for servers because its based off of peanut linux which means it runs the minimum system files it can with the main goal to leave as much resources free for the user. It really seems ideal for hosting servers because of that whole goal. Tell me what you think?

Also I think the installer is a little humorous =P

fnemo
02-18-2003, 11:42 PM
I still prefer debian. Minimal too if you wish, with more better security and upgrades (thx apt-get)

just my 2 copper

Trumpcard
02-19-2003, 01:39 AM
Debian is a good, stable distro.. I only prefer gentoo because Im a performance freak.

I've heard about peanut, never really researched it. If it's really stripped down, it's probably great for a server where you dont have much system interaction. Make the system, then drop it and dont touch it for months at a time.

I have a few redhat 6.2 systems that are like that. Havent had to do anytype of systems maintence on them in over a year other than to close a few holes, deleting backups, and add new users.

TheClaus
02-19-2003, 02:53 AM
I find it odd that you put gentoo into the category of not slimmed down. Gentoo is definately slimmed down. You have to install whatever you need to get it to work. So if you don't want extra crap don't install it.

FYI for gentoo to run as EQEMU server I only needed mysql. After I built the box I emerge mysql and ssh (for remote admin crap) and was good to go.

Trumpcard
02-19-2003, 03:42 AM
I love gentoo, but I would never recommend it for a stable server platform.

Its true you can get it to a solid state, but you have to be careful with doing the security upgrades, I've had portage bork me into space more than once, and ebuilds are only as good as the developer supporting them.

True, gentoo can be as slimmed down as you want it to be, and overall I love the gentoo kernel.

Bigpull
02-19-2003, 04:12 AM
Debian mips! Muhahaha. Other than that i'm biased towords mdk ;)

a_Guest03
02-19-2003, 09:02 AM
I'm a slackware fiend - my friend who taught me most of what I know about Linux in college turned me on to it, and I just feel comfortable with it.

O6scured
02-20-2003, 08:49 AM
So I take it none of the experianced linux people took a look at Vector Linux?

a_Guest03
02-21-2003, 03:16 AM
I gave Redhat a try, but I felt anxious all the time about lack of security and script kiddies. I tried Mandrake, but lost interest because it felt like Redhat. After that, I gave Debian a shot. I think all Linux distros are pretty much the same, sans a few big differences between boot scripts, and major file placements. I think the reason no "old-school" Linux guys are trying out the new ones is that we really just find what we have to be the easiest to cut away files from and build new pieces from.

The only problem I have is that I don't like those easy installers like RPMs and apt-get. Maybe I'm just scared of the change.