PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Install Readme

RevlinXevlin
02-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Has anyone made a readme like the one on the main eqemu page for compiling / running eqemu on linux ?

I know where to get the files but once I get them I find myself looking at them with nowhere to go from there.

Has a ReadME been made or is anyone planning on making one ?

flipper
02-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Below are the basics of getting eqemu working in Linux. This is off the cuff, so please excuse any omissions...

1. make sure you have mysql installed and functioning (including libmysql). You will need to set a password for mysql using:
mysqladmin password

2. download the lastest eqemu source and windows binary and unzip it to a directory of your choice. you'll want the database file (db.sql) and some config files from the windows release. unzip it as follows:
unzip -a <filename.zip>
The -a will remove the windows return (^M)

3. you will then need to compile the world and zone servers...
(a)
cd zone
make -f makefileopt (or just make)
(b)
cd ../world
make -f makefileopt (or just make)

4. edit LoginServer.ini and db.ini
LoginServer.ini : just edit worldname and worldaddress. The worldaddress is your ip#.
db.ini :

[Database]
host=localhost
user=<your db username, probably root>
password=<the password you set for mysql>
database=eqemu

5. create your database for eqemu and populate it
(a)
mysqladmin -u <user> -p create eqemu
(b)
mysql -u <user> -p
use eqemu
source db.sql

6. copy the spells_en.txt file from your EQ installation to your eqemu folder.

7. start world server, and zone servers. zone servers are started as follows from the eqemu folder:
./zone/zone . <your ip#> 7995 <your ip#>
./zone/zone . <your ip#> 7996 <your ip#>
If you will be allowing others on your server you will want at least 4 zone servers running (only 2 are spawned using the above. just increment the port # each time).

8. test it out and see if you can log in to your own server. if it works, then populate the database with some spawns using drawde's db or another that you find in the World Building section of this forum.

Good luck.

RevlinXevlin
02-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks TONS

I'm gonna go try it now :)

flipper
02-25-2003, 07:29 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is that you will want the spells_en.txt file from you EQ installation in the eqemu folder. It needs that to function properly.

On your EQ client side I would recommend using the new EQ Patcher utility (it's listed on the left side of the eqemu.net home page). That will make sure all of your files are at the proper patch level to play eqemu.

Good luck and enjoy!

Trumpcard
02-25-2003, 07:38 AM
A created a readme for linux installations, but it doesnt get included in the source releases.

flipper
02-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Trump,

Well that stinks! Are the devs willing to make your readme part of the source-only distribution? Just think about it... how many of the folks who download the source are compiling it for Windows?

pagan
03-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Trump,

Well that stinks! Are the devs willing to make your readme part of the source-only distribution? Just think about it... how many of the folks who download the source are compiling it for Windows?

I've tried everything I can think of to get the source to compile in Linux to no avail.

I've tried your suggestions in previous messages as well. THe trouble is I don't have any Makefile in the directories. I've downloaded the source from sourceforge site and looked inside to no avail. Please respond with advice on creation of makefile or location to obtain them.

Thanks
Pagan

flipper
03-14-2003, 08:50 AM
The install directions would need to be modified for the current release of eqemu (0.4.3). They changed to a unified makefile -- there is no longer a makefileopt file. To compile you would need to do the following

cd to your eqemu directory
cd /path/to/eqemu

cd to your world source and compile it
cd world
make

cd to your zone source and compile it
cd ../zone
make
cd ..

At this point you could try running ./world/world and ./zone/zone per the instructions above.

==Flipper==

Trumpcard
03-14-2003, 08:54 AM
The way the releases are done, it's hard to make sure everything gets included. We need to have a more organized process for it..

makefileopt should still be there, I still update it whenever I modify the makefiles.

Also, EmuMemShare build is needed, linux now includes sharemem support thanks to BigPull, just do a make in that directory.

If you get a problem with missing mm-config, just change it to -lmm .