PDA

View Full Version : Scripting - Some random ideas

1018BootsYou
02-25-2002, 06:14 PM
These were brought up while chatting over the previous NPC Scripts idea post. I figured it'd fit better here.

---------

Text files to draw speach from. (Yes, I remember the "can not open somethingfile.txt" comments of NPCs=))

NPC /say on PC close range. This could be worked-around by using your way points idea.

Is it possible to spawn an object? Say, a rock. The players never guess that there's something special about the rock until they progress to a certain point in the quest. May have to use an enchanter NPC who turns themselves into a certain item to accomplish this..or an invisible NPC (non KOS shadowed man) that spawns on top of the rock.

NPC theif - lifts a random item out of the player's inventory. Would be kind of funnying seeing a player's robe suddenly poof, but that may be a bit much for even the best of theives to accomplish...

Time Triggers - Includes both spawns, and NPC's who say different things at night than they do during the day.

---> NPC responds more tiredly at night than during the day.

---> Teleport pads (zone stations). One despawns during the night, replaced by a second. Could have a flag on objects which designates it as a zone & where to? (like the fire pots in TD, statue in skyshrine, etc.).

Class Triggers - Would probably have to use faction for this. A rogue speaks to a rogue, but brushes off others.

I doubt it'll ever be possible, but it's a darn shame you can't have NPCs react to players who have a certain item in their inventory.

Magic free areas? Same as on boats, just not on the boat. "You are too distracted...!"

There we go. :)

Yodason
02-26-2002, 01:23 PM
all pheseble

Drawde
02-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Some of these things sound really good.. the emulator is close to being playable now but only as a basic "hack and slash" game. With quests using features like this it could far surpass "real EQ" in proper role-playing depth.

Vipermmx
03-09-2002, 08:16 AM
These features would also help my project by a large amount. being able to give those NPC more human like feeling. Hope to see a good NPC setup in basic emu.

Azaken
03-19-2002, 01:09 PM
UNlike most, those ideas (imho) seem to be very realistic and doable. See thats what people have to do, set a achievable goal, then work to accomplish that goal, once acomplished it makes obtaining a related goal that much easier. But thats my rant of wisdom for the day wether it be wise or not P)

Patrick