PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting using too much mana?

Drawde
03-08-2002, 08:44 AM
I've found that when playing low-level characters, casting spells will always
use up all of your mana, regardless of how much mana the spell is actually meant to use.
However this doesn't seem to happen with high-level characters. Maybe the mana subtracted when
casting is more (2-3x) than the amount it should be, so if you have a very low mana capacity then
casting anything will use it all?

Also, with the latest 2.4 beta, is it true that NPCs will now only attack you if your account status is 0 (player)? This seems to be the case but I just wanted to check!

DeletedUser
03-08-2002, 08:55 AM
Did you attack the mob first? :P I know if I cast a damage spell on them, they come and pound on me no matter which account im using.

Drawde
03-20-2002, 03:16 AM
I've found that (as far as I can see) the problem is NOT that the spells use
too much mana. The problem seems to be that your character's mana regeneration (which appears
to be client-side?) is not registered by the server, only by the client. The code to determine
whether you have enough mana to cast a spell also seems to be client-side (it works even during
severe lag). So when you cast a spell, you end up with negative mana (as far as the server is concerned,
since it thinks you have zero and subtracts the casting cost from this) and the server resets it to zero.
However using #mana - or getting your mana recharged by leveling - will register properly with the server, so the correct
amount is subtracted when you cast a spell.
Hope this is reasonably clear and that it helps the developers.

Also, the experience bar seems to be fairly messed-up, you need to get it about halfway across the screen
to get to level 2, and it does not reset when you level up. No idea how this could be fixed though.

Kibekn
03-26-2002, 07:15 AM
i have noticed that it isnt just spell casting that does that to the mana bar....right click effects (jboots) empty your mana bar as well.

-Kibekn

ibleet
03-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Yep, I agree...hitting a mob as a GM is the same as a player...they come after you with a vengeance. As an eqlive GM, the mobs will attack you if you attack them. They will not attack first, no matter how bad your faction is. So this is nothing different or new.

Yes, my mana bar gets drained from using effects as well. I'm sure that is just a bug that will be fixed shortly.

And finally, YES...the xp bar is slightly wacky. :)

But remember that the emu is in the early stages of developement and is always being improved.

Hmm
03-26-2002, 01:46 PM
my 10olevel pally dont lose all mana while using gaint dagger of gaint damage clicky effect but loses half of mana. somewhere in code is screwy. no biggie tho.

its fun to have clicky instcast massive dd lol i killed entire city people testing it in 10 min.

since Bs is now working ill make arogue to test tiny dagger of tiny damage ( 127 1 )

Trumpcard
03-27-2002, 01:10 PM
Please tell me you meant that to be 'gaint', and you're just not misspelling 'giant'

Hmm
03-27-2002, 06:50 PM
doh!yeah giant lol.

hmm BS seems to be iffy. my tiny dagger does 1k to 2k damage while normal melee range max is 1300 appox.

btw i really wish i got those 2 daggers in eqlve :)

dunno if dw's database is same as eqlive but i wiped fear with just melee.i didnt even use GM heal.