PDA

View Full Version : rpm feasibility

morpheus014
04-19-2003, 04:34 AM
Hello all, I am moving my server to a linux box and I am still pretty new to linux, but I am loving it =). Anyway, I was wondering how difficult it would be to package the emu as a .rpm file to avoid compiling it on linux for people who may not have much knowlege in that area. Anyway its just a thought, but i really dont know what goes into creating an rpm package so its just my 2cents. =/

Trumpcard
04-19-2003, 04:38 PM
Its not difficult, but neither is compiling the code, it really is as simple as downloading and typing 'make' a couple of times...

plus, very few of us are using RH as our distro, so making RH specfic packages just isnt very practical...

morpheus014
04-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Ya, I spent the day after i posted this exploring linux and i figured out compiling really is just as easy. Oh well never know till u ask =P

Bigpull
04-28-2003, 01:57 PM
make all install
=)

kathgar
04-29-2003, 01:11 AM
While RPMs imo are a horrible packaging system they are by far not only for RH, there are several programs available to convert them to other formats, or just install them on other distros

Still, you shouldn't be running an EQEmu server if you can't type make

Trumpcard
04-29-2003, 01:27 AM
rpms are just RH's implementation of Sun's SYS5 packaging. Overall, a good delievery vehicle for SYSTEMS packages, but not a great method for installation of extra software, especially ones that require hand configuration.

Just my 2 cents. RPMs are fine for system level software though imo.

morpheus014
04-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Yea, I realized after I started reading and learning more about linux/RH that it is more of a system/service thing. Sorta jumped the gun on that question lol