PDA

View Full Version : Memory problems?

Zamrod
01-21-2002, 09:10 PM
I am running windows xp, 512 MB of ram, thunderbird 950. When I run the world server and start the batch file for 5 zones, that all works fine.

When I log into the login server, my server is listed there. When I join my server and create a character, then try to log in as that character, the world server says it is trying to start qeynos, then my computer starts slowing down, a lot. Then windows gives me a message that the swap space isn't big enough, so it is increasing the size. (I've done this twice and got the same message, windows increased the swap space both times, I tried it a 3rd, and it didn't increase the swap space, it just got really slow) So I hit control alt delete to see how much processor time it is using up, it's not much, but the memory usage on ONE of the zone.exe's is going up, and up, and up, until it was using up over 130 MB of ram. Then, suddenly I get disconnected from the server (the client does), and EQ freezes. If I close all of the zone servers after that, there is STILL a zone.exe in the list of tasks running. It keeps going up in memory usage to about 130 MB again, then drops to 22 MB, and starts going up again. If I try to use the task manager to force the program to end, it will not, it stays listed there. Even if I log out and log back in again, it is still loaded and still using up a lot of memory. It only goes away if I restart.

Chris Wachal

Zeitgeist
01-22-2002, 04:00 AM
hmm haven't seen that behavior on any box that i've run it on, but i haven't loaded up XP on any of my machines because I ph34r its candy coated goodness.

darvik
01-22-2002, 05:13 AM
I've noticed that my computer slows down quite a bit also.. not too terribly much, but definite slow down - probably due to all the network traffic .. I'm also running winME though.

One thing that I noticed also is that after running the EMU, and shutting everything down, it seems as though it may not be releasing the ports correctly, because I have to reboot before I can login to real EQ afterwards (from the server machine). Otherwise it locks up after the patch server. I then Ctrl-alt-del out of EQ, and I get a blue screen. Not really a super huge bug, but probably an easy fix.

Zeitgeist
01-22-2002, 07:15 AM
i've heard many complaints of ME being a bit funny about the emu... usually with slowdowns and memory usage like the XP case above.

Lurker_005
01-22-2002, 09:48 AM
I am in the same boat. Win ME with 512MB and I get out of memory errors on the spalsh screen after Character login. I havn't gotten into the Game with 2.0 yet :(

Zeitgeist
01-22-2002, 09:50 AM
Lurk are you behind a router/firewall of some sort? if so do you have any control over it such as port forwarding? if not, what is your situation. I'll help in any way that I can. If you want to avoid giving specifics here, please PM me. Thanks!

Zamrod
01-22-2002, 11:16 AM
Ya, I can connect to other people's servers, just not my own. I also noticed that a couple of people tried to join my server, and were disconnected at the same point, right after it tried to spawn a zone.

Overall, XP has been great for me, I rarely have any problem with memory management. However, I do believe that XP expects programs to be coded for its architechture to run properly, there are a couple programs designed for Windows 98 and Windows 2000 that won't run properly on XP because of the way they manage memory. However, others work fine. I don't know enough about programming to know exactly what the difference is though.

Chris Wachal

Hack_attack
01-23-2002, 03:44 AM
hey i have xp to. it dosnt have anythign really to do with your windows. i got the emu running the first time i tried. and if pepple connecting get dissconnected to i would say its other things in the computer. here are the things to check. 1 how fast is your processor. 2 are you using dialup 3 have you limited your ram use. 4 (this is for you only it would have nothing to do with other people connecting to it) how much video ram do you have.
if you can get me this info i can try to help

Zeitgeist
01-23-2002, 04:13 AM
Zam -- double check those IPs in all the .ini files. Of course if you are behind a router or firewall at all it gets a bit weird and needs packet forwarding for the required ports etc. Let us know your net connection situation, k?

Zamrod
01-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Here's a question. Do the IPs in the 5zones batch files have to be my external IP address or will 127.0.0.1 work?

hogger
01-23-2002, 03:48 PM
If you want any other PC to connect to them, you need to change them to a real IP. If there's only the one PC (who'd be both client and server in that case) you're probably fine to leave them.