PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Server Machine

predominant
08-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

I've had a local server up and running for some time but the machines specifications are somewhat Limited.

I have a local society (Computer Gamers Society [CGS]) That wants to help with beta testing the 0.5.0 server permanently at the University of Newcastle, Australia.

What are some recommended system requirements for this system? It will be a dedicated machine, possibly running a CVS server to help lighten the load for those nice guys from EQemu.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

StarLightKitten
08-18-2003, 06:44 AM
Well If its going to be a Server Comp - i Would guess the comps you have a good amount of ram and a good amount of ghz.
1 Gig of Ram Min
and probably 2.5 GHZ Min.
--------------PS: don't flame i'm just taking a good guess----------------

predominant
08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Well, i am dealing with an Athlon 1800+ with 768Mb Ram..

We'll see how that goes :)

Meudar
08-26-2003, 01:24 PM
It all depends on how many users you plan to host. I think it was Merth or someone who said that their 2.0ghz prosesser and 1.0 gig of ram and broadband could host about 10 ppl, assuming they didnt chain cast/pull. You might want to get a few computers together, and run diffirent zones on diffirent computers. Like for the lower end zones like Qeynos, you could use a lower-end computer. However, for a place with high traffic, or really high end mobs like the sleeper/plane of time mobs, you should use higher end computers. For a zone like cshome, you could probably get away with a 486 box. (Thats because cshome is a GM only zone.) Also, in EMu, a very popular place to hang out seems to be the arena, so you might want to give that zone a box of its own.