PDA

View Full Version : Tracking player connections

predominant
09-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Hey guys,

Its been a while since I've posted... I;ve not had any issues as yet! :)

Just wondering if there is a way to track when players login, and to see what players are currently online, without logging into the game.

Is there some SQL junk stuffed in there that will tell me? Can i connect to the machine o a specific port to leech data? Any help would be appreciated.

If there is no provision for this, perhaps this is something that could be addressed for future developments? Have the world executable open a listening port on some port number which can report connection information, and junk? :) Just a thought.

Cheers,
predom.

krich
09-21-2003, 08:32 AM
You can telnet to port 9000 on the machine that is running ./world and see things that way. Note: you must have a password defined for the userid you will be using. This is stored in your eq database under the table "accounts", I think.

Regards,

krich

predominant
09-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Hey everyone.

I've coded and hacked away, and created an answer to my own question.

checkout http://studentquest.newcastle.edu.au/?page=eqstatus

Be warned, the page takes a crapload of time to load, i dont think the socket is being disconnected properly... But I'll deal with that later. If its taking too long, hit STOP and the content should be displayed.

Any ideas? let me know! :D

Cheers,
Predom

krich
09-22-2003, 03:54 AM
When I pulled up this page, I realized how neato it would be to be able to check who's "in-game" without being "in-game" yourself. Heck, with the right ambition, someone could code in >gasp< an external chat channel...

/me hurries off to the copyright office.

Seriously though, good work. A while back I was playing with adding an XML interface to the "world", but didn't take it further than prototype. This could be a very good enhancement for the entire project.

regards,

krich