PDA

View Full Version : So I can't create a 4.4 server and other ??

wguidry
09-25-2003, 02:39 PM
Hey guys, been trolling here for a while, must say awesome work.

I have a couple questions though. Given the threads, I am wasting my time trying to get a 4.4 server working correct? I have gotten everything working, gotten to the server select screen where I see my server, but get the dreaded 1017 error. I have tried patching to EQLIVE, and tried a fresh install with just Trilogy installed and Luclin, to no avail.

I want to get this running, even if 5.0 is still semi beta, but for some reason, my VS 6 disc install keeps bombing out at the tail end so I can't get it installed to compile the needed files.

Is there anyway someone can post a link for the latest compiling for me so I can source it and try to get this thing running?

A couple friends of mine where hoping to get a LAN party going on Sunday.

Cheers

Will

a_Guest03
09-26-2003, 01:36 AM
The latest compile is the one that you already have, 4.4. If you want to play this weekend, I suggest you figure out what happened to your VS CD ASAP.

wguidry
09-26-2003, 03:30 AM
Well, I think I know what happened to it. Last night I was working on 3 hrs sleep from the last 48 hrs. So....brain was pretty much mush LOL.

There is a giant scratch at the tail end of the disc....ARGHHH!

That REALLY blows. What I was asking, is for someone to compile it for me, and maybe email it to me.

So, does 4.4 really not work anymore? I.e was my quess-ta-mation correct?

Thanks for your time.

Merth
09-26-2003, 03:44 AM
Me personally passing out precompiled binaries is asking for trouble. I won't do it, and I doubt anyone else on the dev team would as well.

I could get accused of passing viruses, trojans, malicious code, etc. Who knows if someone out there is out to get me? No need to make myself vulnerable! It doesn't even have to be malicious code - the code an official dev has is different than the code on SF CVS, which means we would end up with arbitrary versions of the code floating around. It's a headache to support code where the version is arbitrary or unknown - much less when no two people have the same version.

Furthermore, the binaries on my machine have lots of debug code that I use for myself - code that you would not get by compiling your own. I've done it in the past, and the next day I would see threads asking why they are seeing such-and-such message, when it's really just my own debug code. Now I have to support my own temporary debug code?

Then, once that has been cleared up, I inevitably have to spend the next 4 days teaching that person how to set up a server and holding hands for every little movement. It's just the way things work - you get a binary from somebody and you can't figure out how to get it to work - who else would you ask for help? That's 4 days that could otherwise be spent writing eqemu code!

At this point, if you aren't able to compile your own, it's likely you won't have a seamless experience setting up your server. Therefore, I am not handing out binaries until an official release.

wguidry
09-26-2003, 03:49 AM
Merth,

Very well put and fully understood. In the end, I just created a image of the CD byte for byte and reburned. So far so good. It hasn't bombed out where it did last time. (installing now) Keeping my fingers crossed. Anything special I need to know when compiling w/ VS 6 as opposed to your tutorial on .net?

Or just standard compiling?

Cheers

Will