PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using gdb?

Raumuth
10-03-2003, 03:51 AM
After setting up a 0.5.0 Under Win32 I setup a 0.5.0 under linux ("Jax Test World"). I installed the database from http://mwnpcmovdb.myftp.org/MWnpcdb_050_default0_2.ace. I then start the world and zone. People log in and eventually get disconnected.

I then use gdb to debug the problem:
I have 4 terminal screens open.
Screen one:
$ gdb ./world
(gdb) run

Screen two:
$gdb ./zone . 64.125.20.1 7995 64.125.20.1
(gdb) run

I get an expection when the user is creating a new charater so I attempt to set a breakpoint here and next thru the code. I get the "Can not set break point" message. This exception does not stop the execution of the code and it looks like few procedures are called. Setting a breakpoint would help me step thru the specific procudure. Any ideas?

Raumuth
10-04-2003, 02:26 AM
ok, gdb = gnu debugger. No one is using this tool?

Trumpcard
10-04-2003, 02:31 AM
I've only used it to track down the reason behind cores, never used it as a step through/into debugger..

Sorry!

Does anyone have access to PC-Lint or Numega SoftIce/Bounds Checker? I'd love to see the results of running the code through it

Doodman
10-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Try compiling everything with -ggdb if you don't already. That might be why you are unable to set a breakpoint.

-ggdb turns on all symbol information in the executable so that gdb can see them.

krich
10-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Also, there is a crash bug during character creation that is related to invalid starting items in the database.

Check your database, table starting_items for a row where itemid==0. This will crash it.

To see if you have this problem, run this on the MySQL command line:
select * from starting_items where itemid=0;

If it returns anything other than Empty set, run this command to fix it:
delete from starting_items where itemid=0;

Good luck.

Regards,

krich[/code]