PDA

View Full Version : Questions about packet format?

eqinfo
10-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Hi everybody. I am interested in any information anybody might share about the format of the data stream that EQ uses. I used the winpcap library to make a little program that can dump packets. I think it works right, because if I set the filter up to watch for DNS packets, it dumps out correctly formatted DNS requests. When I set up the packet filter to dump out packets going to or from the EQ servers, it also dumps out information, but nothing that I can recognize. I would think some of the information would be easy to spot, for example the things people say or for items, the item names, things like that. I know that some of the EQ packets are "encrypted" but I thought that most of them weren't?

Could anybody get me pointed in the right direction for how to understand what the packets say?

Thanks a lot.

Merth
10-11-2003, 08:42 AM
This is not a small topic that can be covered in one post. The best way to learn is to download the source code for this project or from ShowEQ. There is a ton of stuff to learn about the eq protocol.