PDA

View Full Version : Exp for Money NPC

xxxjustinxxx
04-02-2002, 04:51 PM
I just wanted to throw out the idea of an NPC that gives X experience for Y platinum...

would be cool for LAN server emulators where a couple people play more than others... they could just buy their friends some levels...

I don't know the xp tables, so I want to figure out a pretty decent ratio, hopefully to let the money/xp trade be supplemental even for "main" characters.

j

Hmm
04-02-2002, 06:41 PM
it would be worse than plvling lol. players that know zip about thier classes.

dont worry im not flaming you. keep thinking about new idea however heh.

xxxjustinxxx
04-02-2002, 09:13 PM
don't get me wrong... this is something that's clearly not to be set on a populated server.

I believe many people, myself included, are only going to be playing this with a select group of LAN buddies, or authorized friends.

This is for that type of server.

shouldn't be too hard to make, once the xp tables are found, hehe

j

Malevolent
04-03-2002, 01:30 AM
Spending money on your education has never been a bad thing. However, consider the alternative: the ability to purchase skills, rather than experience.

Then, throughout the game, you could populate the land with language trainers, weapon trainers, and so on. If you care to spend the money, then you could get x skill no problem. Perhaps at a cost of 10 * (1 + MY_CURRENT_SKILL/10) pp for each 1 skill point.

The logic would most likely look like this:

if you've given money to the NPC
if the NPC is a trainer-type-simple
and its enough to buy a skill point (return any extra money spent)
and your faction is high enough
if the NPC can train (you haven't maxed the skill out)
then "train" the player 1 point in the skill that this npc trains in

--MV

Baron Sprite
04-03-2002, 05:44 AM
Scripts! :D

Hmm
04-03-2002, 02:20 PM
now thats some idea male.

Lyenu X`Arie
04-03-2002, 02:59 PM
If you learn C++ it would be extremely easy to do.. you can right a equation to say like AddExp(pp*expamountperpp)

xxxjustinxxx
04-04-2002, 03:44 PM
heh, the actual coding for it's a joke, I agree

1 platinum = X experience
then have trigger item reward xp

that's not the part that I posted about, I am looking for either other suggestions (like Malevolent's. Sorry, M... there's no way I can call you Male :P I feel, well, odd...)
OR
a link to the xp tables for the classes

this dude is more or less to help "catch up" any of your LAN buddies who've been offline, or aren't nearly as addicted as you.
You can just buy them some levels.

It is INTENTIONALLY a Powerleveling NPC.

M, one question I have about the skillset thing is: Are you talking about over-maximum for the level skill? I am trying to set it to make your level 40 party get a level 40 cleric, ya know?
My friend is level 20 and I am 40th, well, lemme buy ya some levels instead of wasting hours PLing them (which is a Pain in the ol' cornhole)

this is pretty much where I'm at now:

I can set the NPCs script, but I want to know how people think the xp reward could be doled out? Should there be a curve, or would it make more sense to make it a straight out task:
1,000pp = 1 level?

discuss.

j

polydeukes
04-04-2002, 07:40 PM
Greetings my friends...

well i personally think that "catch up with pp for xp" is crap :)
you could always #level and #setskill to help them out...

if you want it to be more interesting let them do some special quests/tasks which grant them "bonus" xp ... or something like that...
buying levels isnt a good idea...
but thats just my 2cp :)

fare thee well
polydeukes

btw: who said that all chars need to be same level to have fun?