Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 11-07-2008, 07:09 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Default SVN Branches

Once I get back into the coding saddle, I think I may start utilizing branches for some of the more involved stuff, especially to get better feedback before making a commit to the trunk.

Anyways, I wanted to see if there are any policies or best practices that we would want to follow, as far as naming convensions for branches, limits to how many we should create, etc. Specifically, should we just create 1 for our own changes we're working on, or would be be better to create one for each special (major?) feature we're working on (eg, spells loaded via db, AA skills calculated in the mob class, combat changes, etc).

Any thoughts?

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Not to poke my retired nose in here but maybe you could branch on major component(s) being worked on by the name of the component. There's also revision numbers, which are harder to comprehend for most. Or set milestones and branch that way, merging the final results back into the trunk when ready.

I see lots of people using Branching as a post-release tracking system too (ie., we release v1.0, branch it. release 1.5, branch it, etc). Not the text-book use, but it seems to work (Wordpress I believe does this).

As an aside, being away a while and coming back to seeing so much life here again - very exciting. Great work, guys.