Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 AM
KLS
Administrator

Default Login

Okay as I've posted before the login server is looking to upgrade to a new host. Our first option would be to get an entirely new server for it. For this I can't foot the bill, sorry. To do this we would need community help. So I've put up a paypal account for collection of donations toward getting and maintaining a new server.

Edit: I've taken donation down for now until we decide what to do. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by KLS; 03-22-2009 at 04:33 AM..
Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
MarglarTZ
Sarnak

I am happy to see that something is finally being done about the issue, however..

it would be nice to see that there's been some research and thought put into this. I'd like to see what kind of server hardware you are going to buy, what hosting costs are going to look like and what total of donations you are going to need etc.

can't just throw money at something I have no info about.. sorry
Old 03-19-2009, 02:13 PM
csguy0
Fire Beetle

Default New Server Box

I might have a spare HP G4 Series server sitting around I could donate. What are the requirements for the server? Please contact me at: csguy0@gmail.com
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Aergad
Banned

For my first post, since joining( The site is down quite often and i cant access it very often)

I am new here, but I have been here long enough to see the LS Go down quite often along with the site. I have to agree, i dont feel comfortable giving money away without any kind of real information...

Such as:
1: Are we sure its a hardware issue and not a software issue bringing the LS Down so often? If it is software then a new server platform would do no good and we would be just throwing money down a bottomless pit.

2: what kind of a hardware upgrade would this be, for instance what is the LS running on now and what would it be running on...

3: Would the new server be dedicated ONLY to the LS?

4: What benefits would donators recieve for footing the bill for the server( I am assuming its not a one time kind of donation) Will we have access to the server? Hosting on it? Perhaps a precompiled version of the LS For us to use? The way I see it for the most part minilogin would solve our personal connection issues for our servers and players without us having to foot a bill for a new server...

5: How do we know our money will be going only to the server bill?

I just dont feel comfortable giving money to someone that I Really dont know to fix a problem i dont know buying a new server will solve, nor footing a bill even in part that I wont see any real change in doing so ( meaning We wont have access to the server WE are paying for other then the access we already have to the one we arent paying for) So on and so forth, It would be nice to see a more stable LS but asking us to pay for one then not giving us anything we dont already have... I dont know it sounds off to me.

Like I mentioned earlier perhaps releasing a precompiled LS for private use that works better then minilogin would be nice... something to negate the whole IP authentication with minilogin...

Redundancy would also be a concern, to Me it sounds like nothing is going to change so I dont know how comfortable I am with just pouring money into a bottomless pit here perhaps if we had more information and so forth?

Do not take me wrong, having seen more downtime with the LS then uptime since i joined I agree something must be done to correct this, I just dont know about throwing money at it and getting nothing minilogin and the current ls dont already give me without the expense
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Whats the backup plan for when the donations dry up?

We tried the donation thing back in the day. Donations wont keep the project going for long. Are you ready to foot the bill, if there arent enough donations? Also What about the other services? Website, IRC, Wikki, etc.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Also, how much do you think you need to get started and how much to maintain it? I don't use the Login server but I would be happy to donate if the Website and Wiki are upgraded along with the LS.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
fault
Hill Giant

I cant really donate anything monetary at the moment with working part time and have 1 kid + 1 on the way. but i can donate my knowledge to you kim.

1and1 VPS would work perfectly for said login server and they are cheapest anywhere around. the max one has 1gb dedicated ram and 4 gb bursts. 29.50 for 6 months then 59 afterwords. I have used 1and1 for about 4 years now their vps servers are top notch.

39.49 the day you order (9.99 setup fee)

requires 12 month commitment but I doubt you'd hate them they also accept paypal.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Vps...op&__lf=Static

i even left out my affiliate link
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Demi-God

VPS servers are a big security risk just fyi
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
fault
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
VPS servers are a big security risk just fyi

common missconception brought on by those who have no clue how Linux works dedicateds and vps have the same holes if you have no clue how operate them. I run a vps3 and have for 2 years not one security issue. a vps is just a mini dedicated server for a cheaper price. noone has access to any of your resources and files except you and 1and1 techsupport officials.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault View Post
common missconception brought on by those who have no clue how Linux works dedicateds and vps have the same holes if you have no clue how operate them. I run a vps3 and have for 2 years not one security issue. a vps is just a mini dedicated server for a cheaper price. noone has access to any of your resources and files except you and 1and1 techsupport officials.
Even if that is your belief there is still CPU restrictions since you are using 'part' of the system. It is shared memory throughout the system and you can't even try to compare a seperate dedicated server to a VPS.

PS. just because someone hasn't gone after you doesn't mean it can't happen. It means no one cares about your VPS.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
fault
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
Even if that is your belief there is still CPU restrictions since you are using 'part' of the system. It is shared memory throughout the system and you can't even try to compare a seperate dedicated server to a VPS.

PS. just because someone hasn't gone after you doesn't mean it can't happen. It means no one cares about your VPS.

not true the memory in the full system may be shared, but you get your Guaranteed amount. you are Guaranteed 1gig always and have bursts of up to 4

and cpu restrictions? 1and1 imposes none everyone gets fair share. I have also never seen more then 2 clients on a single 1and1 VPS I am sure the dual core AMD cpus can handle what you throw at it. for heavens sake Ive had antrix, eAthena, and EQemu all running on it at the same time No speed issues no lag nothing.

Sure i can compare it, using both types i can say for the price vps' outweigh dedicateds at every step.

and again please donot get caught up in the vps is a security risk mythology, vps only have the same risks as any type of service it is up to you the user to secure it.

if this sounds rude, it isnt dont take it as such if you do I apologize. but from experience VPS > dedicated for the cost with no real speed or security decrease. you can pay 60 a month for a vps or 200+ for a dedicated with the same setup with no real difference except how it is hosted