Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:35 AM
HemickSZ
Fire Beetle

Default Gauging Interest in a "Sullon Zek" remake

Since EQ is dying fast, and Sullon Zek was flat out bad ass before it died, I'm thinking about starting up a project to rebuild SZ before it really really sucked. I'm talking everything as accurate as possible up to LoY expansions wise, and 3 team PvP, legal training and possibly an actually working SZ scoreboard.

But I don't know how stable EQemu is and what its current bugs are, so please post here if you're interested in playing/helping with this or have a comment relating to how problematic this would be to create.

I am Wolfpit_64 on the IRC if you want to drop me a PM there.

Last edited by HemickSZ; 11-01-2005 at 09:39 AM..
Old 11-01-2005, 05:58 AM
Kambic
Sarnak

SZ died with SoL. Keep it to the RoK and SoV... maybe you would have a nice base. Sullon really was a great server to begin with. The main thing you need to do is balance the team make-up. The server was doomed from Day 1 when team evil got the entire continent of Kunark from the get-go; without that hitch, you could probably mess up a lot and still have a great server. Personally, I'd establish a SZ ruleset with only classic content.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Would be best to try and keep it to classic EQ with maybe up to velious type armor and that is it. I think you have the right idea in going with the old school hardcore pvp. Servers like DH that try to fancy it all up and what not is nice and all, but I think a lot of people just want a hardcore pvp server they can play on so they can sit there all day shouting "pwned lol".
Old 11-17-2005, 11:28 PM
tdstrong
Fire Beetle

I'd be all for a server using the modern UI (the original ui was horrible), but classic gameplay. Preferrably, like Kambic said, Pre-Luclin. Keep the original game and first 2 expansions. Luclin ruined EQ economy and Planes finished off everything good/challenging in the game.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 PM
lordnoob
Sarnak

I would love to see any "stable" pvp server up, but ya that was my favorite pvp server on live.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Barl
Sarnak

The server idea sounds great, but like everyone has previously mentionned dont make it to vast, the more zones and content you put in, the less pvp there is... simply old world is great... I loved eqlive all the way up to velious but that would be to many zones for eqemu pvp. GL.

Last edited by Barl; 11-21-2005 at 04:04 PM..
Old 11-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Seriously. Stick to like two starting cities and just focus on like 3 zones and make them all PvP. A lot of people seem to be obsessed with PvP servers atm, I mean they do r00l jo so yea. But try and make it less PvE and more PvP. I would rather join a server and be the max level in like 5 hours so I can PvP all day, instead of farming and grinding. Cause if you do that, than you will end up having people like this:http://www.notacult.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3960

(Which by the way is the single most hilarious thing I have ever read in the entirety of my life.)

So anyway, hope it works out for the best.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
lordnoob
Sarnak

Personally I like some grind and item camping. Not that much, like if it took 3 weeks of hardcore playing to get max lvl that would be cool, not 5 hours. Why not just insta lvl peeps to max then?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:26 AM
yoman258
Sarnak

Man I miss playing on SZ I was in Hate and Fall guilds and man was it fun. People on rallos say that SZ was weak because it had no lvl cap but thats what I thought made it hardcore. Well one of the reasons that is because I mean if your lvl 20 and you dont have to worry about lvl 65s running through your zone and killing you then your a big baby! lol but I think SZ on this would be fun if you could get people playing it.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnoob
Personally I like some grind and item camping. Not that much, like if it took 3 weeks of hardcore playing to get max lvl that would be cool, not 5 hours. Why not just insta lvl peeps to max then?
The thing is people would most likely want it to be like SZ before it sucked. This means they want a hardcore PvP server. People do not play PvP to camp items and grind exp. That's fucking pointless and makes the PvP useless. The ONLY PvP/PvE server that worked was Empire (when Magoth ran it). Do not expect that to happen again.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 AM
Kambic
Sarnak

I'm gonna disagree slightly with the camp thing. While the server should be at minimum 75% PvP, there's something to be said about dumping some time down the timesink to get an item that would help you in PvP. As far as the straight XP grind, that I do not think should give much advantage in PvP, but item-camping: sure.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:31 AM
HurtinuDaily
Hill Giant

Default Sz Reborn

SZ Reborn would be sweet, I spent alooot of time on SZ and it was the best baddest meanest server ever.

Leveling and camping items was very important for SZ, as it was challenging because you were not just fighting the mobs but developing strategy to fight PC's of any level. for example your lvl 20 camping random trash_01 and a lvl 50 Uber noobie comes to kill you, the challenge is to make him take so long and get so bored trying to kill you that he just goes away, and if you manage to do that and get you Item your camping you have a hands up on the newbie who was camping the same item but got killed and gave up. Same goes for lvling there are always some high lvls checking the low lvl camps for "fun" kills developing strategy around this was half the fun of SZ.

I played on good team SZ for years and would not have changed a thing(like playing eq on the Ultra Hard setting)

Last edited by HurtinuDaily; 11-28-2005 at 02:44 PM..
Old 11-30-2005, 03:29 AM
MethodSZ
Fire Beetle

umm it wasnt until planes of powers that evil team really became imbalanced. neuts were always right on their necks only a few weeks behind in content which isnt much.

sz was awesome, sounds like fun except youll never have the playerbase for an emu server to recreate it
Old 11-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Oust
Fire Beetle

Quote:
The thing is people would most likely want it to be like SZ before it sucked. This means they want a hardcore PvP server. People do not play PvP to camp items and grind exp. That's fucking pointless and makes the PvP useless. The ONLY PvP/PvE server that worked was Empire (when Magoth ran it). Do not expect that to happen again
uh first off, LV was >>> Empire 2. Second off i agree they want hardcore PVP, but hardcore PVP becomes pointless and gay when everyone has same gear. It becomes fun when you spend a little bit of time camping an item, get it, and become > your enemie. A better idea for this would be PVP points with actual item rewards (like what LV did), but still need high end items campable and raidable. A lot of the fun from SZ was trying to raid while being trained and shit, shouldn't take that away. Also some of the fun came from actually reaching lvl 60 (or what ever the cap is) and PVPing on the way. PVPing to get the best exp spots n such. Leveling should take more than an hour, it should be a little bit hard, but nothing like EQlive. it shoudl take like 2-3 days played to get to max level. Leveling just seperates the hardcore from the weak pussies who don't wana put in the work to have a good PVP server.