Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Ibix
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarin
LOUD NOISES!!
Wow man... calm down there. Heck, I was one of the ones banned, and I'm not that mad. I will agree with one of your points, and that's just that there aren't any GLARINGLY OBVIOUS links to the rules from the front page or the main forums list. I don't think that usually this is the problem however. I had read the rules, just felt like they were a tad unclear on some points.

But, let's get to the rest of the post... If I understand correctly, this project is in fact not illegal. That was another misunderstanding that I had, but I would expect that you (having been around for nearly 2 years, and having posted 75 times) would know the facts about the legality. From what I've seen/understood, Sony may not LIKE what is being done here, and it may be against some moral and ethical rules some people may carry, but as far as being illegal, don't you think that with how long this project has been around, they would have been served a CDA and had it enforced if what they were doing was actually illegal?

And finally, underfunded? You use that as an insult? As if it's the fault of the people who volunteer their time to work on this project that they don't have some sort of funding? It's the fault of every person who uses this project's output but doesn't go back to the site after enjoying what they've been playing, and make a donation. I have not made a donation yet but will be doing so once things settle down here in the next month or two. I wonder what would happen to this project if every person who plays on an EQEmu server made a donation of 1/2 of the monthly cost to play EQ? It wouldn't probably be a MASSIVE amount, but I bet it would be quite a nice motivation for the developers to put even more of their time and effort into it... blaming under-funding on the people who volunteer their time... amazing.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Ghost Fire
Sarnak

Ok Here is what I think Jarin.
(I'm talking to you because it seems like your the little childish type "Yeah, go ahead and ban me, I could care less about this underfunded [not-funded], dead-end project[Fixing a ton of bugs and upgrading the quality of the project." )
Sooooo here's is a little help for ya THE ADMINS & DEV'S DON'T HAVE TO HOLD ANYONE'S HAND.They got better things to do like ban people that don't follow the...
Forum Rules <--------------

Last edited by Ghost Fire; 01-19-2006 at 04:12 PM..
Old 01-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Demi-God

I say the devs must cater to my every need, if I tell them to do it they better do it!! lawl :P

Come on Doodman made it clear for future reference to warn people before banning them, no reason to discuss it any further.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Not to mention, yes warez is illegal, but did you ever stop to think that this entire project is illegal?
Yes. Yes we have. In fact, there are quite a few threads on the issue.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Doodman
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
Yes. Yes we have. In fact, there are quite a few threads on the issue.
And you know what, if this project is illegal that is a totally separate issue and has nothing to do with copyright and warez.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Memener
Dragon

Quote:
And you know what, if this project is illegal that is a totally separate issue and has nothing to do with copyright and warez.
I agree.

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the laws/rules!

Sharing copyrighted files without consent is breaking the law!
Look at this:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8058/laws9cc.jpg
Its not the mods and admins job to hold your hand and warn you.

You have to agree to these trems if you want to post on these forums. Its up to you to find out to follow these rules and if you dont you'll get banned.

Have you ever stoped to think "Hmmm maybe what i am doing is wrong Maybe i need to make sure im not breaking the rules"

I dont think that nost people have ever stoped and thought about what they were about.

Quote:
I mean honestly, what kind of administration bans people without prior notice? Did you ever stop to think that people didn't find the rules and read them?
honestly???? Have you read the rules?

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5720/rules7fj.jpg

I understand it 100% look at the #2 post. Can't be any more clear then that.

Thanks to Imageshack.us for free image hosting!

Last edited by Memener; 01-23-2006 at 09:14 PM..
Old 01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
klinzhai
Sarnak

So you'd rather yell at your users than update your rules so that it clearly states "Do not ask or tell people how to get older versions of the EQ client, including the patched version that works with this server. We consider this to be requesting or distributing warez and it will not be tolerated."?

It seems like there's an easier solution than spending several hours posting about how all the people who ask, what seems to them rather innocuous, questions that they need answers to so that they can use the EQEmulator. Be helpful, state that perhaps there was a misunderstanding on their part (9 out of 10 times it's a misunderstanding, not intentional boneheadedness) and let them know that what they did is against the forum rules.... and explain exactly what you're talking about, not just saying "Hey, what you did is against the rules, don't do it again or we'll ban you" or they'll just sit there going "WTF?!?! I didn't do anything...."

Just a helpful suggestion... for some odd reason I feel like it will be ignored and the admins will spend a 1/2 hour (less time than it would take to implement my suggestion) telling me that I'm an idiot and that what I'm suggesting won't work.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Ghost Fire
Sarnak

I'm no Admin but I'll tell you why your idea won't work to well. The one thing that i see a lot is this question. "So hey all how can I get this thing running I just patched to Live" OR "Hey everyone why do I get this error 1017?!?". Well here is the reason your idea won't work. They are just to lazy to read the posts that have the answers and or they are color blind and can't see the big red text. The BIG RED example:DO NOT PATCH ON 9/13 OR LATER - 9/13 EQ Patch Breaks 0.6.2 (Which we are freezing on).
Old 01-27-2006, 01:15 AM
mattmeck

The rules are posted in 6 diferent places, in a global sticky too. PEOPLE DONT READ RULES, there is nothing we can do about people who dont read rules.

I had someone come to me and tell me they did not know the rules and asked to be unbenned, I had a long talk with them on MSN explained the rules in detail then unbanned them..... can you guess what there first post after being unbanned asked for?

Quote:
Warez Is NOT Allowed
-This includes the transfer of any copyrighted material, including EQ Files and backpatches. Requesting files, even in a PM, will result in a ban.
notice the including EQ Files and backpatches part???? how much clearer do we need to make it??
Old 01-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

I've always held that this project is far too easygoing on rulebreakers. If people can't even read the rules, how do you figure they're going to be proper contributors? Contributing takes a certain effort, and if people aren't willing to put in the effort to read the rules then they're certainly not going to put in the effort to make a proper contribution to the community.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Squirrel4317
Fire Beetle

Cool

Now being a new user myself... I just think a good link to a Common Mistakes or Issues type page would be really helpful to everyone looking to join. You know we're all looking for the quickest solution and that's not going to change so why not just put up a page of information to answer the top 20 questions people come in with.

I came in here reading posts and trying to understand what exactly is going on here and I can see how it's easy to misread or misunderstand a post. Like patching to live for instance... right here in the instructions http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/faq...#faq_playguidehttp://www.eqemulator.net/forums/faq...#faq_playguide it says to update the patcher the normal way and I bet that screws over a lot of people right off the bat. You know what that leads to? ----> "Question: Hey! blah blah back-patcher blah blah blah."

There are still a ton of questions that I have unanswered but now that I've figured out I either have to buy titanium or wait for you guys to catch up.... what's the point? Seriously, putting a Step #1: READ THESE RULES AND FAQ
s BEFORE PROCEEDING might help a bit and put in the commonly asked questions with the appropraite answers.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:47 PM
mattmeck

WOW This is so old I had forgoten about it, way to resurect the past!
Old 05-28-2006, 12:46 AM
DdrtKiller
Fire Beetle

Question

I got a question that's been nagging me for a while now....Now mind you Im not supporting anyone doing anything against the rules and Im not trying to impose upon them my self, but how is it considered warez or distrubuting copywrited files illigealy when SOE them selves supplied them for free at one time? Doesnt the fact that SOE gave them out for free kinda negate the illigeality of asking for previous files?

Last edited by DdrtKiller; 05-28-2006 at 08:49 AM..
Old 05-28-2006, 02:26 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

We don't make a new discusses on legality, we make many here i think !
Soe have right for distribute his files (of course), you don't have right for distribute soe files (except with his agreement). I think it was clear
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:39 AM
mattmeck

Ok lts say

SOE = me

File = my car

I have the right to let people use my car, hell I have the right to give my car away.

I like SOE let certain people use my car, owever that does NOT give those people the right to let others use it.

SOE is NOT giving anything away, there letting people USE them, there keeping full disto rights.

People who ask this question didm not read all the stuff you were sopose to read before you clicked "I agree" before downloading or playing.