Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:03 PM
attempt37
Fire Beetle

Default Looking for help with server setup

I've been trying for about 10 hours now to get a server set up and I have had no luck. I'm surprised there is no simple mapped out instruction on how to install the server. I have bounced around the wiki following different sets of directions that have completely confused me (which takes some serious doing) by having completely different instruction sets and command lines. It took me a while to find a set of instructions that explained the config file for the newest version, but it doesn't explain the setup of the server. I was wondering if anyone could post for me a few links that could be followed in a simple order to get this setup done. I'd appreciate any help you can give since I've tried all day to get this server running and I keep getting errors when I try to connect or when running world.exe.

Some of the problems I have had today:

1.) An error loading eq.launcher (which doesn't exist in the newest EMU files).
2.) Error not allowing me to load EQTime (which is another file I can't find).
3.) Error where minilogin doesn't show a server or a client connected.

I fixed about 20 problems and created the eq database about 12 times prior to giving up now. I've followed the instructions for version 0.6.4 and for version 0.6.6 as well as searching the wiki and I have not been able to get this together. What I need is some clear set of instructions that tells me exactly what is needed to make it so I can create my server and start tweaking.

Thanks again for any information that comes my way.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:25 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20314
Old 04-16-2006, 02:59 PM
attempt37
Fire Beetle

Thank you very much. I've got the server running now, but there is one problem. I don't know what to change my eqhost file to or what username and password to use when trying to log in to eqclient. Do I need to use minilogin for this to work? I'm running the game on the server through the "Run Everquest" shortcut made by the installer, but I can't get past the username/password. I added 2 accounts to the 'eq' database shown in Mysql, but eqclient keeps saying that the username and password are incorrect. I don't know whether you need this info, but I've got two computers (the server and the comp I want to use as a client) on a linksys router, connected to the internet, and I want to allow my friends to connect via the internet so they can play on the server with me. Any additional help you can provide will be very much appreciated, and thank you again for providing the installer.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:06 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

You want to use public for both server config and client config (make sure both were checked during the install) Your login name and password is whatever you registered with EQEmu. If you are using public, do not manually add usernames to the database. They are created automatically the first time the user logs in.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:05 PM
attempt37
Fire Beetle

OK, now I feel like a moron lol. I totally forgot to go to User CP and register the username/pass. Sorry for being such a noob.

That fixed the problem with logging in and now I can log into the server list. The only problem I have now is that for some reason whenever I click on "play everquest" the client doesn't do anything, it just hangs. The scrolling text says something about owning 25 of 25 expansions which I see as odd but I don't think is the problem. Any advice for fixing the client hang? Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM
kouhei
Hill Giant

Cool date:

What's the Date of your eqgame.exe file. Also might want to download the eq version checker. There is a link on the winki. Download that tool to see what which client you have. Then check to see what port you can log in to. Might need 5994 or 5998.

Last edited by kouhei; 04-17-2006 at 02:32 AM..
Old 04-16-2006, 07:03 PM
attempt37
Fire Beetle

EQVerCheck crashes everytime I try to calculate the version number. It does this on both this computer and the server. My eqgame.exe has a creation date of 4/9/2006 on this comp and 4/16/2006 on the server comp (when I installed the game there and patched it).
Old 04-16-2006, 11:44 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

If you patched this month you have an incompatible client. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about that.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:15 AM
attempt37
Fire Beetle

Well my buddy has the titanium edition of EQ that comes with the first 10 expansions, do you know if the clean install of that would be a compatible client as long as I don't do any patching?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:28 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

No it won't. There is talk about getting the Titanium edition compatible but if and when it ever does I don't know.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:25 AM
attempt37
Fire Beetle

Alrighty, well thanks for all your help, looks like I'll be digging through my closet for the old trilogy or evolutions disks I have in there somewhere. lol
Old 04-17-2006, 07:24 AM
attempt37
Fire Beetle

Well the trilogy disks didn't work. Got a client crash as soon as I entered my username and password. Do I have to have a patched version of the game to get the server to work or can I use a clean install? Also, does this version have to be on both the server machine and the client machine or just the client. If I can use a clean install, do you know what versions would work (Evolutions, Platinum, etc)? Sorry to bother you again, but I really want to get this thing working lol.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:54 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Fresh installs won't work. You need a specific patch from last year. Don't ask for it though, that'll get you banned. Best bet is to wait for a server build that comes out that supports either Live or Titanium.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:48 PM
attempt37
Fire Beetle

Alright, thanks for your help, guess it just wasn't meant to be. :(
Old 04-17-2006, 01:14 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Eh check back from time to time. If Emu is updated to support a new client it'll be right on the main page. You may just get lucky.