Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:15 AM
greneday
Fire Beetle

Default Mysql 4 to 5.0 ?

http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthr...t=update+mysql

I browsed around looking for information, but didn't see exactly what I was looking for.

What I was wondering is what complications I may have, or that others have had, when upgrading from older versions of MYSql.

I mostly wanted to upgrade for security reasons, a lot of exploits keep getting in through mysql.

Next was to hopefully gain some extra stability and performance, and etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-07-2006, 03:09 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

The "supported" version of MySQL is 4.1. I have read of some complications with MySQL 5, but almost certain those are unique to those encountering it. There are some improvements to MySQL 5.0, but none that I would say warrant breaking the Emulator over.

Basically, the best possible way to get your answer is to setup an emulator using MySQL 5.0 and see what happens. While testing is done during development, there isn't an official QA department that runs it through every possible iteration of software combinations. That comes from community trial and error.

Hopefully, not many errors.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 AM
CrabClaw
Hill Giant

I use/upgraded to MySQL 5.0.22 and the only trouble I have had is talked about here:

MySQL Password Hash's

I fixed it accoring to that article and things have been cosy ever since. I love using 5.0 and all it's first party tools (Admin, Query Browser, and the Tray Monitor) though. Also make sure you make all the SQL command updates in the readme's for the current emulator version. If you are not comfortable with doing all the little database commands I suggest sticking with the earlier version. If ya do though, back everything up and keep a fallback postion every step of the way like I did.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:40 PM
greneday
Fire Beetle

Thank you John Adam and Crabclaw
I will hold off for now until I better understand MySQL.