Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 AM
link2009
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabClaw
Sounds fun, I played EQ2 for at least a year straight since launch (and all it's crazy patch re-balancing permutations, ). I would love to beta for you. Would you start with the multi pack edition as a base or vanilla EQ2? Would you use PostGreSQL or stick with MySQL?
Great to know a lot of people are interested .

We'll probably start with Vanilla EQ2, then move up to the Expansions / Adventure packs but so far nothing is for sure. MySQL will probably be used as more people are familiar with it and InnoDB is quite fast.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 AM
alfa24t
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by link2009

We'll probably start with Vanilla EQ2, then move up to the Expansions / Adventure packs but so far nothing is for sure. MySQL will probably be used as more people are familiar with it and InnoDB is quite fast.
So a chance for T5 only ? Greate ! (Because T6 class revamp suxx lol) If you need help or other I'm here ^^

Just questions:
- You plane to write a Geodata engine ?
- How about script and AI ?

If you can't answer me no probs ^^ I understand :P

Last edited by alfa24t; 05-07-2007 at 04:29 PM..
Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 AM
link2009
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa24t
So T5 only ? Greate ! (Because T6 class revamp suxx lol) If you need help or other I'm here ^^
Well...we could always use more programmers .
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 AM
alfa24t
Fire Beetle

I'm not very good in C+ :P

But no prob for MySQL ^^ or collectiong info on live
Old 05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
CrabClaw
Hill Giant

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by link2009

Sounds great I loved the vanilla EQ2 experience way better. Will there be minilogin type setup so I can test things out in my own private sandbox? I usually like my own non-intrusive testbed for scripting quests and such (depending on how the quest scripting is, I guess).

But yes I would be excited to see an EQ2Emu setup. I felt it was what they should have done with EQ in the first place. More streamlined, balanced play and a more flowing game experience as you progress through the content. It seems they are trying to do this with EQLive with the zone revamps, but EQ will always be a bit of a hodgepodge of conflicting uber-highend content, which I feel it makes it hard for contributors and data-dudes to know what to focus on (who wants to spend a lot of time re-creating PoP, DoN and GoD raid zones to be by the book? - ugh). EQ2 smoothed that all out to a more palatable plate of fun.

(Plus being able to get 'under the hood' with EQ2 and tweak things is what turned me on to EQEmu to start with - and still does.)
Old 05-08-2007, 12:11 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

I populated a database with the sqls from sourceforge, and ran the world.exe - however, it's whining about wanting a loginserver. I haven't had time to dig around for one, so if anyone knows if one exists, let us know.

(unless it's in the source, and I somehow missed it)
Old 05-08-2007, 04:59 AM
alfa24t
Fire Beetle

What is work with the sources ATM (Skills formulas, instance system, geodata,...) ?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 AM
CrabClaw
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams
I populated a database with the sqls from sourceforge, and ran the world.exe - however, it's whining about wanting a loginserver. I haven't had time to dig around for one, so if anyone knows if one exists, let us know.

(unless it's in the source, and I somehow missed it)
If this is the project I think it is, I believe they never released a standalone login server, it was in-house.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:57 AM
link2009
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabClaw
If this is the project I think it is, I believe they never released a standalone login server, it was in-house.
Don't think that you're the only one who tried running it . No, the login server has never been released and I'm sure it's really similar to the EQ-Emu one. I even tried using MiniLogin to make it work, but sadly...it failed.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 PM
alfa24t
Fire Beetle

I shearch on web for EQ2Emu login server files or something like and found this
hxxp://www.cosmichub.com/justin/eq2emu/ it is a fake or ?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

There seems to be a lot of little splinter factions regarding EQ2Emulator communities. It would be nice if we had an official site for it that we could call "home base". I have a site designed specifically for my own Emu servers, but it was not meant to support a development community - just my own private server when it became available (hey, i am a forward-thinking kinda guy!)

I think our first step would be to create the community - see what our assets are. And, if there is no [compiled] loginserver.exe, well I'm out. No way I have the knowledge to sort out all the secret masonic handshake crap that needs to go on between a server and a client.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
LethalEncounter
Former Administrator/Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa24t
I shearch on web for EQ2Emu login server files or something like and found this
hxxp://www.cosmichub.com/justin/eq2emu/ it is a fake or ?
If I remember correctly, that was created by someone who was going to design the website for us almost 2 years ago. I cant remember if it was the same person that ended up being our web designer. That site isnt real or anything.

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of little splinter factions regarding EQ2Emulator communities. It would be nice if we had an official site for it that we could call "home base". I have a site designed specifically for my own Emu servers, but it was not meant to support a development community - just my own private server when it became available (hey, i am a forward-thinking kinda guy!)

I think our first step would be to create the community - see what our assets are. And, if there is no [compiled] loginserver.exe, well I'm out. No way I have the knowledge to sort out all the secret masonic handshake crap that needs to go on between a server and a client.
Yes, we have a login server. I am the one who created it for the most part with the help of some of the other devs of eqemu. I still have the source for it, including alot of changes that I never checked into our svn server. I also have quite a few changes to world that I never got around to releasing as well.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:14 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

LE, you little tease.

Is that bait set for us to start pleading for an update? hee hee.

I'd love to add an EQ2Emu to my collection.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 AM
alfa24t
Fire Beetle

Good question !
Cross finger and wait for reply :P
Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
link2009
Sarnak

Thumbs down

I've spoken with LE numerous times.

So, here's the current status of the EQ2 Emulator Project:
  • The old 18 Month Source Code is available at the CVS Repository.
  • LE has the current Login Server and it's database.
  • His 'new' version is currently 'closed-source', which is why we'll have to wait until he decides to release it to the public to actually test the emulator first-hand.
  • And finally, if he decides to continue his GREAT () project, then the source will remain closed or if he decides he wants to give it to the developers, we'll all get our dirty hands over it.

Any questions?