Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 PM
so3arbelnox
Fire Beetle

Default How many people still play EQ (Live server)

I can't find any up-to-date information, but does anyone know how many active subscribers still play EQ-Live?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Zlandicar
Sarnak

More then EQ2 if that helps you hehe.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:00 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

numbers from last year were like:

430k for eq1
and
250k for eq2

EQ live population for both games has been rather stable since the big drop when WoW/Eq2 come out.
Some people occasionally drift between EQ1/2 and WoW and back but numbers hold for last few years.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:05 PM
so3arbelnox
Fire Beetle

Wow 430k? If that's correct that's pretty amazing. I'm assuming a lot of people have multiple accounts.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

mmm most of the people i have met during my days only had 1 account - I mean would you really pay double fee just to box? I mean some people would, but they are in great minority
Old 11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
mastajon
Sarnak

Soe introduced this thing called mercenaries aka bots for live to pretty much screw the grouping community up.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

SOE screws everything up they touch. So I don't and never will pay to play EQ
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM
pfyon
Discordant

430k seems high for people who actually play eq.

The problem with the numbers sony has released is they never define the metric they use to count players (besides simultaneous logins). I imagine, if they wanted to make the populations seem larger, Sony could count every station account as an everquest account, even though many probably don't play eq.

According to wikipedia, the last time they released numbers was jan 14th, 2004, which to me indicates that the population has gone down since then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everquest#Subscription_history
With that single exception, from 13 March 2003 until the final reference on 14 January 2004,[12] Sony releases that contained numbers referred only to more than 430,000 subscriptions, and/or more than 118,000 simultaneous logins. This leaves the peak and current number of subscriptions for EQ to secondary sources.
I personally haven't played live since ~july 2004
Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
numbers from last year were like:

430k for eq1
and
250k for eq2

EQ live population for both games has been rather stable since the big drop when WoW/Eq2 come out.
Some people occasionally drift between EQ1/2 and WoW and back but numbers hold for last few years.
I think above quote is wrong, it doesn't sound realistic at all. When EQ was at it's peek it was around 550k subscribers, and it has taken a huge hit over the years (especially at WoW release) but still has a steady loyal community playing on it.

This guy collects it from various reports and press releases, not sure it is entirely valid but I see his numbers more realistic, and his says at 2007 EQ had less than 200k active subscriptions, and EQ2 had around 200k. I don't think they've released the info for 2008/2009 yet at least in a way easily accessible to the guy doing that chart, but the site is nifty

http://www.mmogchart.com/charts/

P.S. WoW isn't on that chart, it's on the 200k+ chart:
(This shows you how stupidly popular WoW is vs other mmo's)

It's interesting to think Lineage 2 right now has double the live subscribers of EQ at it's prime. Hehe.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 PM
bowmaster
Discordant

well i still play Eqlive

So if you need any Infomation about Live ,

Zones , Mob Damages , I can tell you

this would help PeQ Alot