Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Warweasel
Fire Beetle

Default What type of server do YOU want?

Ok, so i am a longtime, old-school Eqer. Pre-Kunark (hell, was a day 1 player). Stopped about 4 years ago.. though have been back and forth in the emu's a bit. Cant keep away, other games out there bore me to death.

Have an empty dedicated server that is just sitting there in its center, not being used. Such a waste.

As Such.. made a new account here and...
decided its time to put it to use and get back to the only mmorpg i have ever lived.

My question to you all is.. given the amount of servers out there.. what you YOU, those in the community looking for a home to emu on.. want in a server?

Please after any comments.. put in your answers to the following questions.

1. PvP? PvE? Mix? (explain if mix)
2. All available expansions? Progression? Old school?
3. Custom content, or EqLive standard?
3. Exp rates?
4. Lvl 1 grind? Insta level?
5. Equipment/spell vendors? ect?
6. Bots?
7. Macroquest allowed? (admit to being a big mq2er myself).
8. Leave me alone to play server? or gm hosted events/fun suprises?

Going to put one up in the next few days. So any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to post your opinions, or PM me if interested in playing and/or helping.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Hate to say it, but there is pretty much every flavor of server available out there. Since this is your first post you may have not known that yet.

But, the broader the community grows, the looser the community gets. If you truely love EQ and want to help, it would be better served to find the server out there that is close/exact of what you want and assist(and become) staff there. Having 2 people deal with a server is better than 2 servers with only 1 each. Running a server is a lot more effort than you expect(and I will admit, still shocks me today because it only gets more and more).

So while its fun to run your own server and your purpose is just for you, then do it and make a private log in. But if you truely want to progress the community, find somewhere to conrtibute and collaboratively work towards making a tight server, EMU code fixes, DB updates, Quest creation, etc...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Warweasel
Fire Beetle

Everything you say is true, no debate there.

I have played off/on on eqemu for several years. (mostly peq and was an active in Db work there). Just created a new account name because, well.. because i wanted to.

Yes i admit there is pretty much any/all out there. After how long the emu has been available, bound to happen.

This has always been something i have wanted to do, so am going to give it a go and give it my best. I... "looks around to make sure wife is not up yet and lurking"... like to be in charge.. heh.

So i figure... if am going to do it.. will get as much input as i can.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

problem with half of the servers out there, that they install PEQ DB, add a few items here and there, turn up Xp rates, and let it go.

I mean I have seen every god dem zone a zillion times, I have killed all the mobs, I have done every quest, I have camped every item there is, I have played every class.

give me something NEW...

PS One day i will get to releasing my own server... Hopefully... Then i will show you what NEW means
Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
whirll
Fire Beetle

New Panties?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

I have nice petchwerk pants, thank you very much =P

But to give few details, my preferred server would have:

-both:solo (trash mobs) and group (named) content
-NO BOXING/BOTs
-Contested raids (rather than instanced), but plenty of targets to go around, but with long respawn time (3 days sounds good)
-NOT a P99!!! =P
-Good per tier itemization (each 10 levels, with gear being atuneable, and with lev reqs, so twinking is NOT possible)
-slow enough leveling up (as slow as P99 is good, but trash mobs MUST BE solo-able by all classes)
-decent after combat recovery rate (not instant, but no sitting 15 min on your ass medding neither - EQ2 pace is good)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Warweasel
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
I have nice petchwerk pants, thank you very much =P

But to give few details, my preferred server would have:

-both:solo (trash mobs) and group (named) content
-NO BOXING/BOTs
-Contested raids (rather than instanced), but plenty of targets to go around, but with long respawn time (3 days sounds good)
-NOT a P99!!! =P
-Good per tier itemization (each 10 levels, with gear being atuneable, and with lev reqs, so twinking is NOT possible)
-slow enough leveling up (as slow as P99 is good, but trash mobs MUST BE solo-able by all classes)
-decent after combat recovery rate (not instant, but no sitting 15 min on your ass medding neither - EQ2 pace is good)
hehe.. so basically... you don't want everquest
Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

I want NEW EverQuest =P

Emulator is a tool of creation - so.. CREATE NEW WORLD
Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Warweasel
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
I want NEW EverQuest =P

Emulator is a tool of creation - so.. CREATE NEW WORLD
Ok. Already got the excel docs open as i plan it out.

(in the meantime i am just going to put up a simple server to get used to the admin side and test out my equipment)
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

if you need any help i been doing some scritpting and world building around nothing to fancy but i can get some stuff down if you need anything

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Funkey Monkey
Sarnak

Id like to see an sof/sod server..not one that has it enabled or using 1 or 2 zones but full progression/tasks/raids be it custom or live..That and big stats 100k+ hp..im a stats whore myself
Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Thaliko
Fire Beetle

my ideal Emu server
1. PvE
2. everything up through pop at least to start then continue to add content as needed
3. live standard or custom does not really matter as long as it stays relatively balanced and gear increase rates are not obscene like some custom servers
3. slightly increased xp rates maybe 25% possibly flatten out some of the hell levels. throw in some hot zones to help leveling a bit pre lvl 60
4. Grind from lvl 1
5. live standard equipment and spell sales
6. Limited accounts, say 2 maybe 3 max accounts per ip. force people to actually group to kill named and raid mobs, instead of 3 guys running 18 man raid forces and 6-12 boxers perma camping named
7. no macro quest, servers that already allow it claim to limit it, but alot of people still use exploits and most GM's don't really care that they do.
8. gm events are always fun.

If there is a server like this I have not found it yet. The reason I would like a setup like this mainly I don not really like boxing though i will 2 box if needed. P99 is a great server but I'm not 100% on board with classic trilogy only and no further. Lastly I love to raid, I have played on several other servers and had max level toons with at least several hundred aa's. When I have tried to get involved in raiding the question is how many toons do I have. It seems unless you are running at least 4 sometimes 6 with a tank and cleric(s) you are considered useless to any raid guilds on any of the servers I have played on other then p99.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkey Monkey View Post
Id like to see an sof/sod server..not one that has it enabled or using 1 or 2 zones but full progression/tasks/raids be it custom or live..That and big stats 100k+ hp..im a stats whore myself
down with big stats - they make balancing a nightmare, and makes stats upgrading worthless - whats a point of having all your stats in 300+ range by level 30? Just to keep adding insane amount of hp and mana to each next set of items, cause stats are already maxed out?

the smart stat allocation should be like +5 stat /10hp/mana per each 10 levels.

So a level 10 item has : 5 to some stats (or a combo of stats that add up to no more than 5), +10 hp, +10 mana

and scales up to:

level 50 items has: +25 to some stats (or a combo of stats that add up to no more than 25), +50 hp, +50 mana

scale weapons in similar way - start with 4/20 weapon at level 1 a ratio base, and scale it like +2 dmg per 10 levels, so at lev 50, it goes up to 14/20

do give weapons decent procs, but keep proc ratio low - 3%-5% no more
Dmg proc shoudl scale from 10-15 dmg at level 10 to 100-150 at 50

to lower the difficulty, lower mob DPS by half, but keep the hps (lowering hps, would result in DoTs becoming pointless)
Old 03-21-2011, 03:24 AM
trevius
Developer

Starting your own server is definitely a great way to learn how to do it all. But to reiterate what has already been said, there already are many types of servers out there so it will not be easy to make a new successful project that can hold a population for an extended amount of time.

You can make progression really fast and easy, and may attract a good number of players for a short while, but it is hard to retain players that way, as they crank through the easy content and then get bored quickly and leave.

You could make progression really slow, but to do that right without making it boring, you would need lots of content to break up the slow grind/etc. It is difficult to find the perfect mix and to really do it right would take a long time in development before even opening the server at all.

If you really plan to be in this for the long run, and plan to devote endless hours to the project spanning over a year or more, then I suggest making a good roughed out plan before-hand.

If I had to redo my server again from the start, one thing I would do is focus on what ChaosSlayer said and make sure loot is balanced through the entire leveling process and end-game. You don't want players maxing their stats by level 30. I wouldn't even want them to have maxed out stats by 70 (or whatever max level is set to). Maxed stats should be something to strive for through the end-game content, otherwise you are left mostly just being able to increase HP/Mana/End for each following tier. The more types of rewards you can give, the more variety you can give and the easier it is to make meaningful upgrades for later content.

To review some of the existing types of servers:

1. Classic - P99 has this completely covered and it would take years of work to have any chance at competing in this field.
2. Live-Like - PEQ (and also EQTitan) have this covered, and the only way to make any progress in this category would be to continue to expand EQ-Live content in the emu faster than PEQ already does so. This would be quite a challenge since they have a great team already and have made more progress in this category by far than any other team has.
3. Solo Server - There are a couple of servers that fit this category, including Irreverent. I don't know much about this category, but this may be one of the easier categories to break into with a new server. Making a PEQ DB into a solo server could largely be done with a few simple queries to adjust NPC stats and such. Though, I am sure there is still a lot of tweaking required for this.
4. Solo with Bots - I am not sure offhand how many servers exist in this category (if any). This probably wouldn't be an overly challenging type of server to setup with the right queries and settings.
5. Custom - The custom server category has quite a range of server types. Each one is considerably different (though most have certain things in common). If you want to break into this category, you would need to have some innovative ideas to stand out from the rest, and then sync tons of time into it to catch up with the huge amount of content that exists on the current custom servers out there that have been around for years. The nice thing about this category is that the possibilities are endless. There is always room for multiple custom servers, it is just a question of if you can make a server that can compete with the existing ones. This category is probably the most work of all categories, depending on how custom you want to get. But, it is also the most rewarding IMO.
6. Custom with bots - There are a couple of servers in this category, such as THF. This category is very similar to custom without bots. I am not really sure of any major differences that exist between the 2 types.

Sorry, I don't have any solid recommendations on which direction to go. That really depends on you and how devoted you really are to this project idea and what your interests are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkey Monkey View Post
If you like SoF/SoD zones, it will probably be a pretty long time before any other server catches up with Storm Haven as far as the number of high quality zones go in that content. We are up to 18 custom zones in SoF+ so far (4 from SoD) and have many more in the works. You can see the list in our custom zone leveling chart here:

http://stormhavenserver.com/mediawik...le=Level_Chart

We plan to release the entire SoD expansion very close to how it is on Live. The rest of the SoF+ content will mostly be fully customized. Kayen is currently working on a new top-end raid zone, and using Solteris for it (looks awesome so far), and he is also working on the second tier of SoD zones which will probably release around the same time. I am currently working on the revamped version of Steamfont Mountains and doing something completely new and unique with it to be announced when it is closer to being completed.

Currently, you can level from 1 to 75 in SoF+ zones and even reach raid quality gear via the new SoD content.

We don't have insane stat gear, because the clients just aren't made for that really. Gear is really only relative to the difficulty of the content anyway, so there isn't really much difference from having 100k hps vs NPCs that hit for 30k or having 10k hps vs npcs that hit for 3k. The only difference is an extra 0 for visual appearance.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Funkey Monkey
Sarnak

Quote:
down with big stats - they make balancing a nightmare, and makes stats upgrading worthless - whats a point of having all your stats in 300+ range by level 30? Just to keep adding insane amount of hp and mana to each next set of items, cause stats are already maxed out?
Theres no point in that, unless you have custom code the sta,str etc does nothing really but hp/mana and weapon dmg does. Its easy to bump up mob hp and player hp/dmg and be 100% balanced. I played on a server that top player had little over 300k hp fully raid geard/aug and would do weap dmg around 70-90k, the end game raid mobs also hit like 50k+, same game just different numbers. But its a totally different rush taking a 50-70k quad over 3k or 5k hits as example.

Quote:
If you like SoF/SoD zones, it will probably be a pretty long time before any other server catches up with Storm Haven as far as the number of high quality zones go in that content. We are up to 18 custom zones in SoF+ so far (4 from SoD) and have many more in the works. You can see the list in our custom zone leveling chart here:
I agree SH is a great server but Im not even really talking about 100% custom zones, just new stuff. A friend and I ran a server for a short period that had every SOD zone but i think the last like 2 end game zones fully populated with scripted raid events out the ying yang and took about a month to release. It was some of the most fun i had in EQ for the simple fact it wasnt the same old zones yet again on a new server.