Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Spell Support

Spell Support Broken Spells? Want them Fixed? Request it here.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Domingodarkrage
Fire Beetle

Default Resist rates seem too low

My players have noticed that they are able to consistently land spells on mobs much higher in level than the player, 10-15 levels higher. The casters love this, but I'd like to make it much more like a live server, where a level 31 necro could not solo a sand giant and earn insane experience.

I've looked for threads, and found not real leads. I've modified some values in rules_values and resulted with no change in resist rate. Specifically, I've changed
spells:AutoResistDiff from an original value of 15, down to 8, and further to 4. No change in resist rate (level 35 able to land spells on a 50)
Spells:ResistperlevelDiff from an original value of 85, to 120. Still nothing noticeable.

I saw a post mentioning the method to determine a resist has changed to a more live-like method, and these rules are no longer used. Does anyone have a suggestion about how I can go about changing the resist rate to make my server more fair?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 AM
dburg30
Sarnak

I'm not sure but I will ask 2 questions for those that maybe do know.. the first is one of those things i learned early when starting my server, after making changes did you restart your server? And 2nd, what server revision are you running?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Domingodarkrage
Fire Beetle

Dburg30,

I have been restarting my server between changes. I am using peq 2214 version.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 AM
KLS
Administrator

50-32 = 18.
Level Bonus = 18 * 18 / 2 = 162.
This is added directly to the resist value which with a roll out of 200 with no other modifiers 81% of binary spells cast by a level 32 on a 50 will resist. In reality the npcs will also have some minor resists. And the level bonus spikes to 1000 if you're at a 20 level distance or greater (though not currently settable by a rule).

Partial spells at harder to fully resist and I think fear *might* still be a partial spell which could be a problem in this situation. One I probably would be willing to fix code wise if it's a big problem.

Also might be screwing you up is the MinResist/MaxResist fields on spells which was added at some point. These override the calculations in code.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 AM
KLS
Administrator

And actually I don't think looking at it that unless you changed something from stock MaxResist is a problem. DISREGARD.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Domingodarkrage
Fire Beetle

KLS, is there anything I can change about the level bonus formula? I've not changed any min/max resist, though I might have to experiment with changing those values (i'd rather find an easier approach though)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
KLS
Administrator

You can change it to be more severe if you want to delve into the code.

Around line 4040 in spells.cpp you'll find
Code:
	int level_mod = temp_level_diff * temp_level_diff / 2;
	if(temp_level_diff < 0)
	{
		level_mod = -level_mod;
	}

if(IsNPC() && (caster->GetLevel() - GetLevel()) < -20)
	{
		level_mod = 1000;
	};
Which deals with the level mod. You can also change the -20 to make it a faster cutoff.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Domingodarkrage
Fire Beetle

Thanks, KLS. I think I can modify that formula, as well as change the -20 to a more appropriate difference.

I have no experience with changing the cpp files. Will i need to recompile if I change this file, or will it take effect after a server restart, similar to changes made inside the DB?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Uleat
Developer

Anytime that you change something you will need to recompile and copy the files over..and, of course, restart the server.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 02-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Domingodarkrage
Fire Beetle

Thanks. I'll give that a shot this week and report the findings.