Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Baruuk
Sarnak

Default Tradeskill questions

Gents - couple quick questions I couldn't find by searching for "tradeskill" and/or "skillups"...

1. Is there a way to modify tradeskill success rate as a whole or is that on a per recipe basis? I've been debating how I'll implement tradeskills and one thing I always wished I could change about tradeskills on EQ Live was increasing the success rates for all combines and rates for skillups (especially skillups once you reach 100+, 200+ skill where it really slows down). My goal is to create really useful armor sets at various tiers and make it worthwhile to skillup for those sets - but another motivator might be to increase skillups where you don't have to combine 1000x just to get 2 skill points once you reach 200+. Just a thought.

2. (I answered question #2. Still uncertain how to modify base skillup rates).

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:05 AM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Short answer is yes you can alter tradeskill success rates. General rule is if it isn't hard coded in the client then you can alter to your liking. You are only limited by your knowledge of C++.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 AM
bodi
Hill Giant

Seriously, if there's a DB value that can be changed to alter skillup rate, i think thats what he's asking. If so, post the db field please.

In lieu of any other solution, we can make a quest:

Make a NPC quest that asks for 4 patchwork wristbands (or whatever), when you turn in the patchwork wristbands to her you can quest::setskill tailoring = 25. Repeat with different items up the skill chart. Then you can have NPC "work orders" to help your tradeskillers go up.

Also, I saw a thread around here explaining a way to award XP for tradeskill combines, if i find it again, I'll drop a link here. Tradeskill junkies would love that.

If we don't find an easy answer in a day or two, I'll help write the quest so we can at least get our tradeskillers to 200 or whatever is good.

-Bodhi Satva
GM - Nagafen's Lair
Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 AM
sorvani
Dragon

Code:
SELECT * FROM rules_values;
Those are all the quick customizations you can do. Anything else you will need to dig into the server code.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

...\source\trunk\EQEmuserver\zone\tradeskills.cpp

Code:
	// Some tradeskills are more eqal then others. ;-)
	// If you want to customize the stage1 success rate do it here.
    // Remember: skillup_modifier is (float). Lower is better
	switch(spec->tradeskill) {
	case FLETCHING:
	case ALCHEMY:
	case JEWELRY_MAKING:
	case POTTERY:
		skillup_modifier = 4;
		break;
	case BAKING:
	case BREWING:
		skillup_modifier = 3;
		break;
	case RESEARCH:
		skillup_modifier = 1;
		break;
	default:
		skillup_modifier = 2;
		break;
	}
Changing the default skillup_modifier here should increase the skill up rate of most tradeskills. I've set it to 1 on my servers before and it did seem to make them go up quicker.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Baruuk
Sarnak

Thanks for your replies guys. Randymarsh - I'm assuming if I modify the tradeskills.cpp I'll need to recompile, correct? No biggie - just curious.

I do have to say that Bodi has given me an idea - a takeaway from EQ2 in a way... If you could detect a player's skill level (50, 100, etc) in a particular tradeskill in Perl, you could set up these "work orders" based on player skill, and then make milestone quests that would reward them for their accomplishment - a cloak, a ring, etc - perhaps with a tradeskill mod on the item. That right there might be more enriching that simply making it faster.

One of the bigger things I've been wrestling with is deciding how to structure armor tiers. I've currently employed Defiant drops for lvls 1-70 - a 30% drop rate on the low end stuff (lvls 1-5) just to get folks going and then a 4% drop rate on lvls 6-70. My goal is for Defiant to be a "gap fill" armor set that folks can get randomly while hunting and to create market for that gear. However, I would like to have other tier'ed sets starting at lvl 20 and then progressively at lvls 40, 60, etc. Obviously this could easily be done with quests (got fetch item x, y, z) as many other servers do. However, I thought it might be interesting to utilize tradeskills for one or more of these armor sets - sets that would be a tad better than droppable or questable ones, as a reward for the hassle of doing the tradeskill. Perhaps a clicky effect or 2nd mod effects.

I digress, but just wanted to get feedback - this is why I was asking about tradeskills.

Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM
sorvani
Dragon

I loved the EQ2 tradeskill system as it was designed at launch. It was interdependent, created markets, was a time sink, and the Master level items in each tier were worth getting. The lesser items were useless but low loss to make/vendor for skill ups. The task system removed the need to make so much trash which I also liked, but I think they lost it when they removed all the interdependence.

I guess because of that I like your ideas. Defiant is a is a good idea for the common gear and then tradeskill for the better gear.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

EQ2 had BEST TS system EVER created for a game.
Unlike any other game where you just put mats into container and click, in EQ2 you were actually actively engaged in a process of CRAFTING, and end result was solely based on your attention to the process and ability to anticipate the upcoming events

Sadly, SOE ruined it when after numerous rewamps they first removed sub-combined interdependency, and then even removed all sub combines all together, dumbing down the system to a level where your dog could craft, resulting in zillions of unwanted items flooding the market :(
Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
jsr
Hill Giant

I really liked Vanguard's crafting system.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Dabloon
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randymarsh9 View Post
...\source\trunk\EQEmuserver\zone\tradeskills.cpp

Code:
	// Some tradeskills are more eqal then others. ;-)
	// If you want to customize the stage1 success rate do it here.
	switch(spec->tradeskill) {
	case FLETCHING:
	case ALCHEMY:
	case JEWELRY_MAKING:
	case POTTERY:
		skillup_modifier = 4;
		break;
	case BAKING:
	case BREWING:
		skillup_modifier = 3;
		break;
	case RESEARCH:
		skillup_modifier = 1;
		break;
	default:
		skillup_modifier = 2;
		break;
	}
Changing the default skillup_modifier here should increase the skill up rate of most tradeskills. I've set it to 1 on my servers before and it did seem to make them go up quicker.
Let me get this straight if you lower the numbers in tradeskill.cpp tradeskills will increase faster.