Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

View Poll Results: Would you enjoy a more interactive forum?
Yes 15 55.56%
No 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2004, 02:11 PM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

Default A more interactive forum? Yes or no?

I would like to say I from now on I want to start over, I don't want to be known as the annoying dude that makes a stupid, but appropriate post after many support topics because there is alot many of you don't know about me. Like that I am a web designer and I was in the Anime website community for almost my whole life, since I was 7 I was making webpages and surfin the net. Now im older and my experience in the anime community has tought me alot, but now to the point...

I would like to redesign the EqEmulator forums, not with new colors and new images, but with fun addons and such. Some features I would add would be a Bank hack, users can earn money for their posts and use that money to buy custom titles, names that glow, special post icons, ect... Another addon I could add would be a pet system, people could get pets, ect... and one I know people would love, the Quick Comment addon. The administrator panel could be so packed with hacks that in a push of a button the jobs that could take an hour could take seconds to complete. Again these are only an ideas. (By the way sometimes addons are refered to as 'hacks' so nobody misunderstands me.)

How would I know what im doing? I used to manage many forums back when I was working with the top anime websites. I learned how to maintain, hack/addon to any type of forum. I have worked with vBulliten's RPG hacks and Arcade hacks and phpBB's bank hacks and user hacks. Where would I get these hacks? I am not going to hide anything from you guys, the place I will be getting these hacks would be http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ . No this does not mean no work is involved, some installations of these hacks could take hours to do.

The reason I am proposing this when I know a developer could do this on their own is because I think developers should not have to waste time setting up special features on the forums when they could be out there making EqEmulator better, even though it is almost as good as it can be. Also the reason I am posting this instead of sending an e-mail is because:
1. It can't be mistaken for junk mail and tossed away.
2. I want to know what people think about this.
I hope you think about my offer guys. If you are interested you can contact me by e-mail at outlawfighter@hotmail.com, by aim Kaio of the East, or by msn jslackerman@hotmail.com. If you would like to speak on the phone I can tell you my phone number over AIM.

Please post any additional comments below, like what other addons you would like, what you think of my idea, ect...
Change Maxlevel

Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Tides of War [Custom-Legit] PvP Server
Orome, Lord of the Woods, Middle-Earth Roleplay PvP Server
Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Kaio's All-GM Test Server
Old 04-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Angelishes
Fire Beetle

Default ^^

I Love interactive forums but it really sucks when people revamp sites and lose alll of the posts cause it takes along time to build up.. so if use change it i hope i dont lose all the posts
Old 04-24-2004, 02:24 PM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

No, none of these changes would involve losing any posts or users at all.
Change Maxlevel

Old 04-24-2004, 03:57 PM
ltlruss
Discordant

The only problem I see with it is the increased junk posts... If you have a way to monitor what people are posting and not give them credit for every post they have, it could work....

SEARCH It's your friend
Old 04-24-2004, 04:07 PM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

Points could be revoked for spam.
Change Maxlevel

Old 04-24-2004, 06:01 PM
Gossamer
Sarnak

Sounds good to me. Can you show a sample of what you'd like to see up here?
Old 04-25-2004, 01:27 AM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

A sample? You mean like an allready hacked forum of mine? No I can't, the last time I seriously ran a phpBB type of forum was a long time ago.
Change Maxlevel

Old 04-25-2004, 06:36 AM
Mongrel
Hill Giant

Doesn't sound good to me. This is an information forum about EQEMu, not some funky place to goof off. I wouldn't want to post here if some idiot tells me that I have to buy a flashy title to be cool.

Quote:
waste time setting up special features
To me there's no need for any special features. What's the point? I mean, not counting the debateable fact of "having some fun".

I might be weird, but I *like* reading long informative posts about programming and similar geeky topics.

EQEMu files

Winter's Roar spell database
Old 04-25-2004, 12:37 PM
themushygod
Sarnak

Where the dont really mind button?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:29 AM
Monrezz
Dragon

It's hardly a challenge to copy and paste instructions from a phpBB mod readme file to create a more "interactive" forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoLegacy
No this does not mean no work is involved, some installations of these hacks could take hours to do.
I'm guessing you'll be using EasyMod, which means it will take about a minute to install the mod, perhaps 40 seconds to upload it and 20 seconds to click "Continue" three times. If you're wanting to install it manually, copy and pasting is hardly a challenge yet you make it sound as if it is a great and difficult task noone in their right mind would offer to do as you are so kindly doing.

Personally I agree with Mongrel, this place is a support and Development forum for the project it is not a place to make junk posts like most of yours have been.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you now?

kRPG Profile
Old 04-27-2004, 05:35 AM
valaerosilantix
Sarnak

Ok, I currently run a hacked php that does what he is describing.. I would like to point out a few things.

The point mod can be set up so there is a limit on how many points a day

It can be modified to only give out points if posted in certain forums

its highly customizeable with different levels of points

It is in fact an easy mod to maintain, a pain in the ass to install. Hope you like editing a lot of txt files :P
Old 04-27-2004, 05:37 AM
valaerosilantix
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monrezz
Personally I agree with Mongrel, this place is a support and Development forum for the project it is not a place to make junk posts like most of yours have been.

Every single post Ive seen of his in reguards to posts Ive made have all been extremly helpful, as most are that take the time to help answer questions
Old 04-27-2004, 05:40 AM
Monrezz
Dragon

Then perhaps we havent been reading the same threads.

Heck, 90% of the posts from this are flames. At the time of posting, around the top 7 were, then there were a few questions and a nice new stickied Server Classifications guide, and then the flames begin again.

*EDIT* And my god does he need to reduce the size of his sig

Don't have a problem with the guy, but for 350ish posts I don't see a lot of support or development ones.

kRPG Profile
Old 04-27-2004, 06:07 AM
valaerosilantix
Sarnak

heh well Im not trying to rock any boats yet so Ill stay out of it :P
Old 04-27-2004, 12:19 PM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monrezz
Heck, 90% of the posts from this are flames. At the time of posting, around the top 7 were, then there were a few questions and a nice new stickied Server Classifications guide, and then the flames begin again.

*EDIT* And my god does he need to reduce the size of his sig
Yes I will reduce the size of my signature and no, I don't know if you call fooling around flames, I may be like, "oh man you need to learn" or like "wtf, lol", you might find two or three flames in there tops, but lets see your perfect record. And I am 13.

I dont know if you think editing 50 text files and following directions to EVERY LITTLE STEP is hard, but believe me its not that fun, the outcome is what I enjoy.

I don't want to start looking like Jarin, so lets just end this crap, if you don't want this, fine, just delete this whole damn topic so we can go on with our lives and I can stop getting flamed for trying to be a nice guy and help out a little, my god some people get so uptight when they disagree.

If you really don't like me posting ill slow down, I need to take a rest anyways. Sorry if I upset you by offereing my services, bye monrezz.... you win.
Change Maxlevel