Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:20 AM
Muuss
Dragon

Default 0.5.3+ Quest editor... [updated 01/06/2004 (perl support)]

Hi guys.

I just finished a pre-version of a third party tool i wanted to create. This is an editor for quest designers. It helps in writing the qst files.
the software features shortcuts that write the skeleton of the quests and a few search tools.

This is a beta, shouldnt be to much bugged but isnt yet totally complete. If you guys estimate it deserves much work, i ll certainly invest the needed time in it !

Quest Editor is available for download at
http://alexis.vilvert.free.fr/eqemu/questeditor.html

feel free to test, and report bugs or suggestions

Muuss

[updates]
01/06/2003 : updated to 1.5 -> added columns sorting on npc's list
12/18/2003 : Updated to 1.4 -> added perl support
12/10/2003 : Updated to 1.3 -> added syntax highlighting and reworked interface
12/07/2003 : Updated to 1.2 -> added 'not connected' mode (suggested by Dodger).
12/03/2003 : Updated to 1.1a -> added race support.
12/02/2003 : Updated to 1.1 -> added spells and skills.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

you just made my like soooooooooo easyer
Old 11-30-2003, 10:44 PM
LaZZer
Fire Beetle

Love it Muuss! Easy to use and saves me a great deal of time when creating quests. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:56 PM
rockocool
Sarnak

It looks great, except why the save and reload button are disabled? thus I can not save or load quest files. Did I miss something?
In any case, this looks like going to be a very decent tool!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Eglin
Hill Giant

Although I am interested in the concept, I am extremely wary of your program. Maybe you can post some large screenshots, so I cen get a feel of what it is like, since I am not going to run it (and advise others to avoid it, too).

1) it isn't provided with source, which throws a big warning flag right off the bat
2) it crashes if I try to execute it with the permissions of a non-priviledged user.
3) checking it out in dependency walker (or quickview or pedump or whatever floats your boat) shows that it exports all kinds of winsock methods, which makes me nervous, since I can't think of any reason a quest editor would need to be sending shit out over the internet.

I'm sorry if you feel like I'm attacking you or your efforts, but with so much malware/spyware/etc out there today, I don't think my concern is misplaced.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Muuss
Dragon

In fact the process is the following :

choose a zone
choose a npc
write something in the editor
save

the buttons become enable when u press a key in the editor and if a npc and a zone has been selected before.

the goal of this is to do for you the choice of the quest file where you save the script. so, people don't save quest files everywhere on their harddisk and wonder why it doesn't work in the emu

Edit : tho, i have nothing against adding an 'expert mode' with a file selector and permanently available save/reload buttons
Old 12-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Eglin
Hill Giant

Oops. Closer inspection showed that the non-priviledged account that I was attempting to run the program under did not have access to the directory that the program was stored in. The fact that it crashed without error message is probably a reflection of Windows, rather than your software.

After starting it up, it immediately became clear why you need tcp/ip stuff... mysql. Since there was no readme and the info on your site is pretty minimal, I had no idea that it used the DB to get names and stuff...

After having a chance to actually run your program, I must say that I agree with the other posters - it is supasweet! There are a lot of really handy tools, like the ability to run queries internally. I had the same problem with the reload/save buttons being greyed out, but I still have to congratulate you on what looks to be a promising new tool.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:42 AM
Muuss
Dragon

Thank you Eglin.
Im opened to suggestions. a 'Not connected' mode is planned (some people who want to write quests during their work time :lol: )

btw, i m not providing sources cause i m using a mysql library that isnt free for use. For the info on the site, its as minimal as my english speaking skills :/ If you or someone else want to write some, you're more than welcome !
Old 12-03-2003, 03:59 AM
Eglin
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuss
Thank you Eglin.
Sorry for vilifying you, I'm just paranoid.

Quote:
Im opened to suggestions.
Support for Perl quests would obviously be important to me. Syntax highlighting would be nifty, too.

Quote:
btw, i m not providing sources cause i m using a mysql library that isnt free for use.
You could always just use ODBC. Besides, you don't have to distribute the lib to distribute your source.

Quote:
For the info on the site, its as minimal as my english speaking skills :/ If you or someone else want to write some, you're more than welcome !
A man after my own heart.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Muuss
Dragon

Quote:
you don't have to distribute the lib to distribute your source.
The one i m using isn't available, we made it here at work. I could use another one tho, as u say.

I need to dive into perl quests, then i ll add it to the software of course
Old 12-04-2003, 01:19 AM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

Let me give you a little heads up then. On the following link, you'll find all the quests I had converted into perl (*.pl) format. I have tested all of these and they work mostly as is.

http://h37.bounceme.net/eqemu/perl_quests.zip

Hope this helps!
Old 12-04-2003, 01:33 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Next Release will have 3 packages, 1 for the source, another for Win32 Perl quests and the last for Win32 old quest format. If the perl stuff proves itself as a long term solution and is easy enough to use we should be able to phase the old parser.cpp stuff out by 5.5 or so.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:38 AM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

Awesome LE. Personally, so far perl quests have proven to hold more ability than the former. Also, if the quest is somehow borked, it doesn't screw with the emulator, it just doesn't work. I love that.

Three cheers for perl scripting
Old 12-04-2003, 03:30 AM
Muuss
Dragon

Thanks for the link Kroeg.
Tonight, i ll do a minor update to add support for races in the npc's list.
the "not connected mode" will be the next one to come, then i ll work on perl syntax. Dunno if i ll create 2 versions of the editor or go for an option that will let the user choose the language.

I may add a basic syntax checker too, at least to verify the matching for the opening and closing }.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:35 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

The perl parser is not as unforgiving on its syntax, but its annoying if you get it wrong, it will repeatedly bark at you , so a 'syntax validitor' would be extremely useful for written perl scripts...