Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:18 AM
thegofa
Fire Beetle

Default Veteran Player new to EQEmu meed advice...

Hi All,

Firstly if im posting in the wrong place I apologize, but im new to actually posting anything.

I have 2 questions that I need advice on please and would appreciate your kind and patient replies.

I have tried to work these out by going round and round on the Wiki site and also the forums but cant find the info I needed (im not too tech).

1) Can I play single player by using the EQEmu? Like just start the game and use the emulator so I can use EQ on a PC thats not connected to the net.

2) How do I set up a private server for myself and my 2 kids, 1 on LAN and one connecting from outside. I have a spare PC, 8gb ram and i5 to run it.

If you could please point me in the right direction on how to accomplish these two things I would be very grateful (so would my kids).

Thanks everyone,
TG
Old 02-27-2016, 04:11 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

There are a bunch of guides on how to do exactly what you're after. Akkadius' server repack is a good way to turn a Windows install into a server. Then you can forward ports and be done with it.

Much like EQ itself, whatever you want to do has most likely been done before. Just search around a bit here and the wiki and you'll find what you're after without a lot of trouble
Old 02-27-2016, 05:42 AM
thegofa
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the advise, i'll try again to find it.

Also, any help on the single player?

Thank you,
TG
Old 02-27-2016, 01:18 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

That's where your firewall ports are going to come in. The setup guides almost all have info about that in them.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Uleat
Developer

With that small of a player base, I would definitely recommend running your own login server. Plus, you could actually run the server on the computer that you wish
to play on - if you don't mind that computer having all of the 'extra' stuff on it to run the server.

I play on a single computer..but, your configuration would be different than mine if you're looking to host LAN and WAN players.

1 player or 100..really no difference unless you want the 1 player to run on 'localhost' as opposed to being exposed to a LAN. (I run mine as localhost.)

Compilin' Dirty
Old 02-27-2016, 06:52 PM
thegofa
Fire Beetle

Thanks for all your help guys, very kind.

Tried to get everything working, followed all the instructions etc and d/l the files but I seem to get timed out errors when I open my EQ client and try to log in.

I think it might be a bit to tech for me but at least I had a go.

Wish there was a link to "download this to run a local server" .zip and I could just drag it to a folder and run my EQ client and connect (eqhosts on my Titanium edited to 127.0.0.1)

Regards,
TG
Old 02-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Uleat
Developer

Let it soak in for a few days..there is a lot of info to digest, especially if you're new to this.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 PM
thegofa
Fire Beetle

It seemed to work ok, got CMake grabbing bits, Git downloading and assigning, then realised I hadnt changed eqemu_config.xml to say peq for database, then at least all the windows came up on startup.

Then when I open EQ client, the login screen comes up and I put my login / password, that I made in the source load_login / create login account etc but it just says timed out after 2 secs.

I tried but its a bit more than my poor brain can do haha.

Thanks anyway (friend said you were good community)
TG
Old 02-27-2016, 08:54 PM
thegofa
Fire Beetle

I might just delete it all and start fresh.

I cant see where I missed anything or did anything wrong but I will start again and triple check every step and see if I can get it going.

Just to check with you all, I do all this:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Complet...Guide&frm=Main

Followed by all of this:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Windows...Guide&frm=Main

Im now wanting to just run it for me and my son, on a LAN (no WAN).

Thanks again for all your help and patience,
TG.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:54 AM
thegofa
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegofa View Post
Just to check with you all, I do all this:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Complet...Guide&frm=Main

Followed by all of this:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Windows...Guide&frm=Main
TG.
Can someone please just confirm if what ive said is correct here to get a "single player / LAN game" for my son and I.

Many thanks,
TG.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:28 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

You're making this way harder than it has to be

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Akkas_PEQ_Server_Installer

Run the installer, open firewall ports, profit.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:48 PM
thegofa
Fire Beetle

Sorry N0ctrnl as I said im very green when it comes to anything technical.

I still have 1 question (please be gentle), once this is done do I need to add or change anything to make it a server on a LAN for my son and me?

Thanks for all the help and sorry im so dumb.
TG.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Uleat
Developer

I have a ton of posts around describing setups..most of which should still be viable.

Since you want more than one player, you will need to setup for a public server - with a few alterations.

-- As mentioned earlier, you need to ensure that the 'loginserver' project is selected in cmake and build your binaries off of that setting.

-- Forego the port-forwarding since you don't want WAN traffic.

-- Make sure that your database has the four(4) loginserver tables prefixed with 'tbl' - you can verify either with HeidiSQL or with this query:
Code:
SHOW TABLES LIKE 'tbl%'
-- Your 'local_network' setting in login.ini should be the first three(3) segments of your LAN domain: (mine for reference)
Code:
local_network = 127.0.0.
-- ALL IP addresses in your config files should be that of your server computer's LAN address with the exception of database - which should be 127.0.0.1

-- Your EQ client eqhost files should point to the LAN address of your server computer.

Note: If possible, use static addresses on your LAN so that you don't have to trace connection issues every time you boot-up your network - or -
reserve the lan address of your server computer in your router using the MAC ID of the LAN card in your server computer.

Code:
		<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to.  (read: You don't) -->
		<!-- <address>some.server.com</address> -->
		<!-- <localaddress>192.168.0.5</localaddress> -->
You will need to un-remark both of these and put your server LAN address in both fields.

My 'localhost' config looks like this:
Code:
		<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to.  (read: You don't) -->
		<address>127.0.0.1</address>
		<localaddress>127.0.0.1</localaddress>

Check this and post back with any remaining issues.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-02-2016, 05:58 PM
thegofa
Fire Beetle

Ok, firstly, thank you all for putting up with me and all your awesome help.

Managed to download that file, unzip to folder, run and install.

Seemed to do all it needed to and finished with "press any key" as instructions showed so must have been good.

UPDATE: lol sorry, my son now says he is playing on Steam f2p with him mates (dad crawls away) so I now have one last question.

I have installed the Akkas PEQ server and files etc, but now want to just configure to single player, no one else to join, would you please be kind enough to let me know what I should change to make it just a single player server.

I know im a pain, but im so desperate to relive my old game once more
TG.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

I would say instead of focusing on a "LAN only" server, set it up the generic akka route, so that your server is listed on the eqemu server list, and in your eqemu_config.xml, set the Locked element on, so the server is locked by default when it boots up, that way only allowed (100 status+) players can join.

Then, when you have a son or friend or whomever that wants to join for the first time, you can let them in by doing a one time process: You get in sync, tell them to get to server select, You then #unlock in game, they can join, make a character real quick, then look at the account table for the latest created account (it's likely them), and change their status to 100 (so they can rejoin), and #lock it again. Now they can enter the server at any time, any where, even when locked.

That way, you never have to muck with configuring it for LAN, and it'll work everywhere, and it's protected from unwanted guests (as long as you don't forget to #unlock/re-#lock).

The only part you'll have to double check is what commands are exposed for a status 100 user (they need it to get through locked), which is in command_settings table.

but this is what I'd do for a "LAN server". Since, if your friend has mates who play, they may all be interested in playing, and they aren't LAN.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com