Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 PM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Question Restricted Areas?

How are restricted areas made? I have played on servers where the area behind the banker is restricted or where certain buildings become restricted at night and automatically kick players out into a public area of the zone, or where if yor where play,etc.

like becoming KoS temporarily if you enter a restricted area, etc.

how is this done? if i wanted to restrict a building (obviously without using locks but rather restrictions like where the guards will attack and you will get a prompt "you are now in a restricted area" or something to this effect)?

NOTE: meant to post this in Server Support (windows) my bad, but my question still stands.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

The servers I've been onto accomplish this with a perl script making an invisible 'trigger' npc and checking the distance between the player and this npc. Once triggered you can do anything that eqemu+perl allows you to do. You could also compile custom code for the server that does this, but that's a little of a overkill.

I'll see if I can find an example script for you.

Edit: Someone had a similar question and found help here: http://new.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...d.php?p=173158
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 PM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexyl View Post
The servers I've been onto accomplish this with a perl script making an invisible 'trigger' npc and checking the distance between the player and this npc. Once triggered you can do anything that eqemu+perl allows you to do. You could also compile custom code for the server that does this, but that's a little of a overkill.

I'll see if I can find an example script for you.

Edit: Someone had a similar question and found help here: http://new.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...d.php?p=173158
Where would i program in the changes indicated in the link at? thanks for your feedback btw.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Have the NPC set a proximity that could be as small as a door way or as large as an entire field, when the player enters the field have the script move the player to a set location somewhere else.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Default question

Where do i put in the changes indicated in the hyperlink and/or where do i program in the npc at and how do i make it invisible,etc?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

If only there were guides or something that would explain that kind of stuff...
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
If only there were guides or something that would explain that kind of stuff...
there are, but the ones I read werent entirelly clear. :shrug:
i think its better to be safe than sorry by asking folks one feels might know. if you could post this, why not post a url to one of these guides a least? maybe you know of one i missed.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

I'm hardly a perl master, but everything I've learned has been from looking through existing quests and piecing them together to accomplish what I need and then if I can't figure it out, I ask for help. I hate asking for help unless I really need it.

Check out the quests forums here for a lot of good information. Study, study, study!