Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bug Reports

Development::Bug Reports Post detailed bug reports and what you would like to see next in the emu here.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Raddiux
Sarnak

Default Bugs of the aquatic nature

Just a few bugs I found while testing:

1.) Fish don't "swim". They are anchored to the bottom of the ocean floor. If a player attacks them, they pop up towards the player and then fall back down to the bottom of the ocean, which repeats. They should be able to rise and fall on the z plane. Which leads me to bug 2...

2.) Fish aren't limited to the water. They will follow you out onto land (pretty funny to watch actually). I'm not really sure how this would have to be coded. The server would have to make a check so that the mob can't leave the water boundaries.

3.) If a player zones into water, or zones while underwater, when they appear on the other side, the 'air remaining' bar does not appear, so players immediatly start to drown. The air remaining needs to be somehow saved and reported to the next zone. Or at the very least, it should refresh itself from the start. This can be observed if zoning into kedge keep.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:11 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

these are all due to the fact that we cannot detect water in the server at all. if you want to study the zone files and figure out how to tell it something is under water or not, your welcome to. maybe talk to the openEQ folks, they might have run accross it.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Raddiux
Sarnak

But can't that be packetcollected from live? I assume the client always knows when a player is underwater and sends some kind of packet to the server to inform it that the player has moved underwater, so at the very least bug # 3 can be fixed (which is the most severe, since zoning into kedge = death in 5 seconds).
Old 10-24-2004, 11:27 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Maybe for #3 something can be implimented so that a player is invulnerable during and for a couple of seconds after zoning. This could allow the client the time it needs to realize hey I'm in water I better display the air meter. The client handles drowning if I'm not mistaken. Its not quite live and it would prevent you from zoning in and finding 3 mobs hacking away at you but it still should fix the problem.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:47 AM
movieman
Fire Beetle

"Fish aren't limited to the water. They will follow you out onto land (pretty funny to watch actually). "

Note that this happens on the live servers too: if you aggro a fish and run onto land, the fish will continue to attack you there. I believe it's deliberate to prevent exploits (e.g. attack fish, run to land, heal up, run back and kill it).
Old 10-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Scorpx725
Discordant

Id try packet collecting the water thing on live and see what it does, itd be interesting to find out. Regarding Issue 3 that is.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Raddiux
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieman
"Fish aren't limited to the water. They will follow you out onto land (pretty funny to watch actually). "

Note that this happens on the live servers too: if you aggro a fish and run onto land, the fish will continue to attack you there. I believe it's deliberate to prevent exploits (e.g. attack fish, run to land, heal up, run back and kill it).

Monsters that hang out in land AND water (like aqua goblins) very well can and do follow you out of the water. However monsters which are limited to water (fish, sharks, etc) can not follow you out of the water - at least, i've never seen it happen, and i've fought quite a few fish. Maybe this is just creative grid contruction on sony's part. Is there a way to make a NPC hard locked to a grid so it can't follow you out of the water?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:59 PM
fathernitwit
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddiux
I assume the client always knows when a player is underwater and sends some kind of packet to the server to inform it that the player has moved underwater
this is not the case.... hence WHY i mentioned this...
there is basically nothing sent between client and server reguarding water. This is the same reason why we give everybody 100 swimming, and it never goes up... because the server dosent know your under water.

your welcome to prove me wrong... but this is the state of things right now.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Btw #3 will be fixed tonight. I found the location of player profile where SOE stores how much air the player has left. I just have to figure out a good formula for calculating how much air a person has and it will be completed.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Raddiux
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar1898
Btw #3 will be fixed tonight. I found the location of player profile where SOE stores how much air the player has left. I just have to figure out a good formula for calculating how much air a person has and it will be completed.
Thats great, since #3 was probably the worst of them. The other 2 will probably only require some clever database work. Actually, now that I think of it, I have seen shark swimming on the top of the ocean in OOT, so maybe #1 is invalid. I'll have to look into it some more.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

on further reflection, I dont see any particular gain to having the players air supply reset to the max when they zone in. So I'm just going to make it reset the players air remaining whenever they zone.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:21 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Fish type mobs won't follow you out of water on live. As of now, though, they've put some mechanics in to prevent safe-spot exploits. DoT's don't do damage if you're not in the water with the mob. LoS check always returns false if you're not in the water with them. And I believe if the mob happens to die while you're out of the water, you'll get no xp.

As for #3, store the air remaining. That's what Live does. I believe that STA is what determines your total amount of air. The formula in place now seems to be okay. May not be right on the dot, but it's close enough that I don't notice any big discrepancy.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:49 AM
sgaske24
Sarnak

Quote:
Maybe this is just creative grid contruction on sony's part. Is there a way to make a NPC hard locked to a grid so it can't follow you out of the water?
#npcedit runspeed 0

That should lock an npc to the grid.

-GM Thrax
Old 10-25-2004, 05:55 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

The poster probably intended "grid locking" to be different than perma rooted.

Setting an npc's run speed to 0 will perma root it.

Currently there is no support for locking the mob onto a grid.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:46 AM
movieman
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Fish type mobs won't follow you out of water on live
Yes they will, unless that's been changed in the last few months. If I ran across the water in Twilight Sea, for example, I could aggro a fish on the way and it would continue to attack me after I reached the land on the other side. I could even see it there on the land attacking me.

Equally, only a few weeks ago I was on land in LoIO being attacked by a fish, though in that case I couldn't actually see it, I could only see the damage messages as it tried to bite me.