Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:38 PM
aneriel
Fire Beetle

Default Managing Zones

Sorry if this posted elsewhere, believe me when I say I've scoured these forums over the past week while getting my server up and going.

I've seen people use a startup.bat loading eqzones.exe zones ...this creates 5 dynamics.

I've also seen people set it to load each zone.exe for whatever zone they want.

I guess my question is, what is the difference? Is the second method loading static zones? If so, what exactly does static mean? I kinda figured it meant the mobs won't repop, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

When loading with the first method, I've came across the problem that I have no more zones.exe to load a zone for me, and hence, i've gotten booted. Is this normal?

How do you run your zones? What is the best method in your opinion? Does either one keep the errors minimal?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 06:22 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Well, running eqlaunch will boot up (x) number of dynamic zones that will load when client needs then and quit when there are no clients in them. X can be definied in your DB to what ever you think your computer will handle. Dynamic zones are less memory intensive as they dont continue to use memory when no ones in them, as they just unboot and go away.

Static zones on the other hand are zones that are always up, always running, and never shut down. These are more for like hubs(nexus,PoK), cites (qeynos, freeport) that would have constant activites in them like NPC pathing and such. They function fine dynamically, but for added realism, you should make them static.

Dont confuse running zone.exe as being a static zone like I once did. zone.exe in itself is dynamic. Eqlaunch is to maintain order instead of running 70-80 zone.exes for your server. You could have eqlaunch run 50 zones, in one window, then run "zone.exe freeport" or however that command goes to boot up a static freeport zone. Adding the zone name flags the zone.exe as a static zone and it will keep that zone running. This could be mistaken, but I think thats how it works. Someone will of course come by and tell me its wrong if it is.

Hope that better explains the dynamic/static question you had.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 AM
TheLieka
Developer

From my experiences, you're right TechGuy. The other reason that I run static zones is for spawn activity. When a dynamic zone shuts down (when no one is in it), it seriously shuts down. This means that if a guild kills Trakanon on your server (just suppose), and sebilis is being launched dynamically, then that guild could zone out (everyone would have to zone out), wait a minute (while the zone shuts down), then zone back in (to load the zone back up) and Trakanon would be back up again (since he always comes up with the zone).

Since most servers will never see this problem, dynamic zones are fine for 99% of the servers, but static zones add a bit more eqlive feel.

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 08-27-2007, 02:50 AM
aneriel
Fire Beetle

Thanks guys, that answers my questions perfectly.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

If you have Trak respawn that fast, even on a dynamic, then you've got a spawn table issue instead. It shouldn't matter or not if its static vs. dynamic. Sounds like you just need to change the respawn timers.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 AM
techguy84
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreverent View Post
If you have Trak respawn that fast, even on a dynamic, then you've got a spawn table issue instead. It shouldn't matter or not if its static vs. dynamic. Sounds like you just need to change the respawn timers.
Even if the respawn timers are set high, the spawn still respawns when the zone boots up. The only way respawn timers are in effect is when the zone stays booted, since again, the zone boots up and automatically spawns the db entries. The only way around this would be for some sort of a state save that the zone did prior to closing, like last know spawn information. Then when the zone rebooted, it would use that information to spawn its self.