Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:11 AM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Red face Help completing server install, please.

So, I'm at the point now where I've used teh automated isntaller to get about 75% of the way through (datawise anyway) but never completed due to one thing or another, almost always an admin privilege issue despite beign admin and running admin etc etc, or a windows install this or that can't complete or can't launch. The fails there always being on one or another install of sql, visual studio etc, or the launching of an exe.

I now also have a server built manually using the guide, that is at least half there, but there are some aspects I can't quite understand what is said in the guide, OR, the biggest part...error configuring and thus generating in cmake. It keeps telling me I have no visual studio detected, but I have perfectly functioning community 2017, exactly as listed in the guide, so i'm at a loss what to do about that.

to get to this point i've been all over the place on different machines and os's and sites to get things installed and updated so theyd work, but can never get everythign to work in one place (closest is the manual one, but then no studio detected error).

Now, it seems the auto installer works almost backwars from the manual one, that or the fails on my auto were early and the ones im experiencing manually are later, because I have full map and zone files, most if not all the individual files like world.exe etc etc.

I know I have a full server here but it's in pieces, and I can't put the puzzle together because i'm not sure what is and isn't required altogether. Guide says should have this many folders and 21 files at this point, but which 21 files? and I thought I had everything good on one of my autoinstalls, until i got win32 errors on every exe, and i don't think the other programs all isntalled.

not sure what exactly i need, a list of folders, their approximate size and list of files that together make it good? or... idk. A way to fix the cmake not finding visual studio would be great, as that is what halted the progress there. The 2 methods go about things in different orders and name folders etc differently so i cant really tell what i am missing in the end to have a functioning server (that can be updated and modified as needed not just launched and forgotten of course)

ok the biggest barrier being the cmake error, let me explain that better:

configuring from eq/source to eq/source/build i get error in configuration process, project files may be invalid...

cmake_configuration_types value: debug;release;minsizerel;relwithdebinfo highlighted in red

and in the bottom box:

(red text) CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt;38 (PROJECT):
Generator

Visual Studio 15 2017

could not find any instance of Visual Studio.

(black text) configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
see also 'c:/eq/source/build/cmakefiles/cmakeoutput.log'.

the accompanying error box that if i follow the writeup for manual install, i close and reconfigure until red is gone i can then generate...but i can't. the red highlight of cmake_configuration_types goes away, but the red text in the bottom box about not finding visual studio won't go away.

if i then click generate i get the same error message about files may be invalid.

Now, I've done this with visual studio open, and with it closed, that didn't make a difference.

The only thing i can think might help, maybe, is if i reinstalled studio from within eq/installs folder as most of the other programs were done. Studio was not stated to ever put in installs folder, so i hadnt, but almost everythign else was.

EDIT: reading another manual walkthrough on my phone, it does say to put in installs, but the one I was working from did not. Will try reinstalling from installs folder and see how it goes.

EDIT2: so that meant nothing. uninstalled, uninstalled cmake too, reinstalled studio and cmake. says keep all their defaults, so they both isntalled in xprograms x86, but cmake still can not seem to find studio. What else could I try for this?

I currently have 4 folders in c:/eq eqemuserver, installs, source, and sql.

inside installs i have the install files for activeperl 5.12.3, cmake 3.11.0, git 2.16.2, and xampp win32 7.1.15

my source folder has 18 folders, 2 unnamed txt docs, 2 named text docs, a yml, an md, and a license file

SQL folder has 9 files (walkthrough suggested 11) but they seem to be correct

and the one that's giving me the most fits, inside my eqemuserver folder i have:
6 folders, at least half of which is pasted there from previous autoinstalls etc because the cmake error wouldnt let me continue. it has about 25 separate files as well nearly all of which i also pasted in (half at the behest of the manual walkthrough)

Can anyone make any sense of this? what is glaringly missing? what can i do about cmake not detecting my visual studio install? is there really no hope of patching this together? it should take like 15 minutes to install after the other stuff is there (perl, sql, etc) but i've spent way too many hours running into deadends everywehre. I've got to have just about everything needed, but i don't know how to put it all together the rest of the way, or get cmake to work right.

thanks in advance if anyone can make sense of this. haven't gotten any responses to my previous posts on the install issues, but this one should be something someone can help with, i hope. one thing or another at least lol.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:34 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

When you install VS, there is options to choose what to install with it. Usually you get a screen
with seperate "boxes" of installs. One will have a heading for Windows. It has a bunch of needed
C++ addons. I had to do that on mine, but been a long time, so I can't remember details.
I also had to install OpenSSL for windows, (if that's still a requirement). There is also a folder in
the source/dependencies to populate from another download. (boost, libsodium, etc).
Old 03-27-2018, 06:28 AM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

Been so long now since using that guide for anything other than a reference since we are spoiled now. I remember having issues with visual studios almost every time I started a new server, but I believe it was always the install never seemed to finish.

I seem to remember installing everything in C drive under Program Files (not x86). No clue if that makes a difference.

Did you try running Windows update to see if there's any required or optional updates to visual studio? Possibly something you are needing could install that way?

You might be able to use the installer to download from the assets menu...
Old 03-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

I'll look into it. I had issues getting things isntalled..everything at least once..in my several other attempts at this, all failing because of UAC (win10 HP, even disabling uac and all that good stuff, i could not make it give em permission despite being the admin so i tried in a VM on that computer instead, with a couple OSs) OR..because of software dependencies which i either eventually got working/installed, or i didnt, gave up and moved on. C++ was one of those things, and i have the vc installers that came with the autoinstaller too, plus while getting visstudio downloads i got the bigger c++ sdk pkg as well etc...havent had any issues with c++.

runthrough all said to use the defaults for installs, but i guess defaults could vary for install loc. 64bit os with a 32bit program will put in x86 not regular program, but, maybe thats where it wants it, or maybe they were all supposed to be installed in c:/relevantfolder like Perl. idk.

had to install service packs (installing this time on a machien that's been offline since 2010 lol) etc in order to even install c++ or studio or pretty much anything but Perl on this one. I will double check for updates etc on studio 2017, but i wouldnt think that would be the case. maybe i should jsut uninstall and try it with the essentials 2015 i also downloaded, just thought using the one specified was best rather than the one said to be the minimum.

apparently i also have some..or all..of a 2010 studio install in there, but can't find it in add/remove to uninstall so maybe thats an issue. i'll mess more with it. that one could cause the issue if it isnt compatible with this cmake version and it's finding 2010 thus not looking further for 2017. come to think of it, it's not full 2010 in there, but the 2010 prerequisites install, which i was afraid to remove in case i'd then be unable to do the later one. ill try that and just hope. i still have the install files for all of them if its needed. might be my best option right here to try and get this to work.

didnt see any mention of openssl in any writeup i've seen. i think the folder you mention needing to be populated..is dependent on the one i can't do because of the studio issue in cmake, if not i dont remember seeing any mention thereof.

thanks for the suggestions guys, will let you know the results. if anyone knows how to fix the win32 errors on my last auto-install attempt (posted in another thread) i might be able to go that way. found one suggestion, which involves installing a specific studio and editing the platform toolset of hte file, but i dont think that will work as it needs to be done by the one making it, according to studio at least. i tried with a copy of the files using studio on another machine as an experiment.

edit: may be a while, the studio install downloads 1.3gb during the install, and til midnight im on 20mb an hour speed lol. will try tethering my phone but that only gets me up to about 200kbps.
also, the sdk was .net stuff, but have multiple .net items and c++ items isntalled. c++ 2010 exptress, .net core sdk 2.1, c++ 2008 redist, studio 2010 express prereq, .net framework 4 multi-targeting pack, .net framework 4.6.1(specifically required by the 2017 studio) then AFTER the studio 2017..or during its install, I have:

c++ 2013 redist x64 12.0.30501,
c++ 2012 redist x86 11.0.61030,
c++2017 redist x86 14.13.26020,
c++2017 redist x64 15.13.26020,
a .net core sdk 2.1.1,
and another c++ 2013 redist this one x86 13.0.30501

seems like an awful lot of them, but each one was isntalled either in an attempt at getting one install or another to work, or by a program itself during its install. There's a lot more .net entries and some other things (in programs and features) that are definitely supposed to be there, and other things that i'm just assuming are part of xampp because it had so many parts. maybe i shouldve skipped xampped and just gone with method 1 as it's more specific. had issues setting password in sql after xampp as it is and im not sure i even did that successfully (no success or fail message, just an initial no access message after mysql -uroot

this whole ordeal's been a mess lol. starting with inability to connect to internet (autoinstaller) despite being online and having firewall off..but only intermittently. then being completely unable to even run the initial install file in admin mode on one machine thus getting absolutely nowhere, to multiple VM attempts...oddly the most successful being in xp64 when it says will not support xp (though xp64 is really reskinned server 2003, server 2003 isnt listed as supported or not supported) but thats the one where i get the win32 errors tryign to run anything exe during server launch. i think some of those win32 issues mightve affected parts of the isntall there too but im not entirely sure, i got to the point of trying to start the server at least but hit the brick wall with world.exe havign win32 error. i tried launching the other exes in the server and most also resulted in that error, but world.exe was the first one that had popped up in the whole process.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:02 PM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

If you followed the guide, did you load each .SQL file in, or did you update through the eqemu_server.pl file?

Do you have the eqemu_server.pl? If you have the old 1, when you run it, your options are numbered, so type 3 enter would run option 3. One of those downloads new binaries and server files, if you run that your eqemu_server.pl would run by typing your options so... Typing options like: New_server , assets or database. (If your still on the numbered prompt, try all options until it redownloads the .pl file then use that... )

If you sourced each one manually.. it could be causing issues.

If you don't have the one where you type word prompts... Get it and use that to build server for you? I guess I am uncertain which version you are using, since the more recent option will literally prompt you for everything you need. The old would not.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:55 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

i'm not sure with that all phantom, brain is on overload atm lol...however...

i uninstalled everything since i started trying t odo this, with theexceptions of windows updates of course, 7zip, winrar, and anything saying c++ or .net in its name. this was to try the manual from the beginning to try to fix whatever issue studio was having...

after i did all the uninstalls, my headache growing, i decided it may be a good idea to just take the netbook here to the library (1 mile away) as it has free public internet that runs on actual cable broadband. it's only 2MBps download, but that's 10x my phone tether and its slightly faster and without the 1500ms delay my midnight satellite isp has... I thought it possible that the internet speed anddelay could have been causign issues with at least the autoinstaller on this particular machine, once i had updates etc in. So here I am...

now, everythign actually went great and successfully here, and got server up and all was good so it said (i don't have the game on here to test it out) but while command window was open and i had the 4 options listed, I thought it would be a good idea while it was working, to make another server as a backup, since I haven't learned how all that works yet etc. I also did a backup of that first successful one...

Here's the issue I now have, i ran the new_server command. It installed a new server or so it said, but I have zero idea where, couldn't find it. After stopping my first server and trying to relaunch it, now it wouldn't work. I'm sure there's a way of fixing that but while I have the bandwidth I didnt want to mess with it so I made another new folder and started from scratch. freshly unzipping the isntall files etc etc. That operation is currently installing peqbeta.sql.

Hopefully this new new install will work when I'm done and I can go home, but since I didnt want to uninstall everythign yet again (perl, maria, etc etc) I'm not certain until it's done and running.
I will be hoping to try to fix the first one and figure out where/how it installed the "new_server" in or on top of it so I can either delete that whole ordeal, or repair and keep it for future usage. There has to be a way of doing so, I just don't know where it was isntalling this new server (i didnt change anything from first install and it didnt say to) or what it did to "break" the working one.

Will post when I'm done at library. If anyone knows anythign about the new_server isntall with the freshly made and working/running one, it'd be great, but I think at this point I finally got a setup thatwill completely install, I just have to get it done and not screw it up again afterwards lol.

Once I get this settled and figure out the very basics of editing things, how to add some tools I saw on github etc, and how to create another server without going through the entire process (downloading i nparticular) again, I will be out of everyone's hair for a while lol.

Ok, isntall finished, starting server ...
OK. Everythign looks good there (with default everything, I can change server name and IP etc when I get home np), but I don't have (and didn't in the last successful one) a Backups folder, nor do i have an eqemu_update.pl script anywhere. I think that was part of why I tried making a second server in the first place. If these 2 things are fine and will change later, then great (not sure how to update though in such case) if not I need to find how to get them.

I did dl in preparation last night, the peqbeta_2015-08-12-02_01 files as they are the newest, but I don't want to mess with them until I know for sure what to do with it, but I saw that it installed peqbeta, which I thought was everything. My question is why are only 30 zones launched in this new server and how do i make it launch them all, or do they launch on their own once someone needs them? What can i do with the newer files I have, will they change it, is it even a good idea due to stability?

Sorry this thread is all over the place, I didn't want to make more threads because I'm trying another route. This time it worked, or appears to just with a couple minor caveats so that's good.

Thanks guys

edit: made a backups folder so i coulddo a backup before I leave. the previous backup i ran (on the first workign server) saved itself in a backups folder in yet another install attempt's backup folder (a differently named folder altogether than this one)...ok and done with backup, saved in the correct folder this time. Now to go home, update the config file and try to login.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:31 PM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

Quote:
i ran the new_server command. It installed a new server or so it said, but I have zero idea where, couldn't find it.
You determine where it is installed.
  1. Make a folder on your C: Drive--- Name it whatever you want. BACKUPEMU (whatever you want)
  2. Add a folder in that folder name it EQEmuServer (Don't have to, but since you followed tutorial making one, you might be used to that).
  3. Paste the EQEmu_Server.PL file from your working server into the C:\BACKUPEMU\EQEmuServer Folder.
  4. Run it.
  5. Use the new_server prompt
  6. It will ask you to choose database etc. Follow the prompts.
  7. It will build everything inside the EQEmuServer that you need.
  8. When it is done, open the config.json file
  9. Change where it says Akka.... as the name to the name you want to use.
  10. Server should work (its default and basic but should work).
  11. Can then run the bot prompt to add bots etc.

As far as an actual backup.
  1. CMD prompt
  2. cd: c:\eqemuserver\backups
  3. mysql -uuser -ppassword
  4. user= your user you chose, password= your password you chose.
  5. use peq;
  6. peq= database you named it
  7. source peq3_27_2018.sql;

That should revert to the backup of the server (so if you run a backup once a week etc... or before any major change, you can always revert back to the last working backup)

Additionally, running the backup prompt, makes the backups folder for you.

Quote:
I did dl in preparation last night, the peqbeta_2015-08-12-02_01 files as they are the newest, but I don't want to mess with them until I know for sure what to do with it, but I saw that it installed peqbeta, which I thought was everything. My question is why are only 30 zones launched in this new server and how do i make it launch them all, or do they launch on their own once someone needs them? What can i do with the newer files I have, will they change it, is it even a good idea due to stability?
Don't use it. If you run the eqemu_server.dl it gives you options to update by using:
database
check_db_updates

Run those updates. Then make custom updates as you see fit. (Edit mobs harm touch, edit starting items, modify rules, change xp mods, etc.... go through the database and think about changes you want to make... some are very obvious and easy to adjust, some you have to research (like adding dual wield to a class--- which is very easy but for some reason took me so long to figure out)

Pretty sure it only shows 30 zones launching... mine does:
Code:
Akka's Windows Server Launcher
Zones to launch: 30
Zone background starting enabled...
World: UP Zones: (30/30) UCS: UP Queryserv: UP OWN
Since, I just use the servers I build for myself, I will go through different server preferences I want to play on (sometimes my preference is just to work on the server).. so some servers I want to run more legit, others I want to be able to use any spell or use any gear etc, so I make additional servers that way (a new database). Then things I may not want to change (lootdrops--- I always remove defiant, or rules. I have added rules that were missing, fixed descriptions etc.... so I save a .sql of that table to source into the new server, rather than do it from scratch....

Sometimes I just copy the entire server, then modify from there. I have servers where I wanted to play as an SK with monk skills, all gear useable, all spells useable by the lowest level that can cast the spell, server with custom classes
I have a server in progress where I added all skills to ranger class, and customized (what I have added so far) spells that only cast with reagents, then made the only way to make the reagent by having a specific item that summons them--- make the item to summon them a quest, limited to two (so i can build my own custom class) added items to better define role (tank, melee dps, caster dps, healer) etc.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Thanks so much for lotsa info I can use.

When you say just made a copy, did you just copy contents of your server folder and then alter stuff? I mean can it be done that way? Downloading really works poorly for me no matter what method I use, unless I go use real broadband somewhere to do so as I found doing this install. I'd like to make a few, 1 for the whole house, 1 to try to fill in the zones close to legit as I can, and one to play around with things like you said. Won't be able to put any public until like 2020 when cable's actually planning on reaching us lol

And I'm guessing the new_server I made is inside the first one, as I didn't CnP or go to another folder in any way, and then first stopped working.

Side question: is there any way at all to do a dump of your EQlive toon and add it to eqemu, or grab it off magelo, or a file in eqlive game folder or something? Or does it have to be done manually with gm commands?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Uleat
Developer

Due to the way that ports are consumed, you can only run one server per addressed ip at a time.

This doesn't keep you from having multiple setups (installs) on the same computer, though.

EDIT:

Yes, copy/paste works.

Just make sure that you change all of your config stuffs to reflect a new database or you'll
just be running the same server all over

Compilin' Dirty

Last edited by Uleat; 03-27-2018 at 10:07 PM..