Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 AM
Krran
Sarnak

This is pretty good stuff and will cut down on the errors people are encountering starting and updating a server. Thanks for putting in the time to make this process MUCH easier, especially for newbies or those who are not as familiar with how to script this kind of stuff.
I know I will be using it and will help me to update more frequently.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Drajor
Developer

This is a really positive step in the right direction IMO. Anything that lowers or removes an entry barrier will hopefully result in more people trying it out and making cool things. Also less 'Hulp! It's broken!' posts heh
Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Just FYI, my old start script redirects the output of all the binaries (world, zone, etc) to a logfile. Turns out when this starts, it prompts for user input if there are updates.... and continues to prompt. 16GB logfile later I discovered this and killed it.

So anyone who redirects output to a logfile, beware.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfyon View Post
Just FYI, my old start script redirects the output of all the binaries (world, zone, etc) to a logfile. Turns out when this starts, it prompts for user input if there are updates.... and continues to prompt. 16GB logfile later I discovered this and killed it.

These are the sorts of things that I need to fix and be brought to attention.

I'm assuming this is Linux.

If your database is up to date you won't have that issue since it will not wait for a prompt.

Can you reproduce to me what the contents of the log is? I'm going to guess its reprinting the menu because the start script is sending characters.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:04 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:

Had this same issue, so Akkadius was already aware and it will be resolved. Until it is fixed, you can get around this by starting world manually the first time after you update by doing the following:

./world

Then you can respond to the prompts, update your db and CTRL+C to end the process. Finally, use your startup script again as normal and you will be running without issues (at least until the next update).
Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Had this same issue, so Akkadius was already aware and it will be resolved. Until it is fixed, you can get around this by starting world manually the first time after you update by doing the following:

./world

Then you can respond to the prompts, update your db and CTRL+C to end the process. Finally, use your startup script again as normal and you will be running without issues (at least until the next update).
Yeah, I realized the issue after waiting about half an hour and doing a df -h. And yes, linux.

Ultimately, I was bringing my source up to date and my database is all screwed up because I guess bots are screwed up right now? So it was never able to run all the updates properly.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:17 PM
knowom
Discordant

Is this a bit like WSUS offline slipstream updates applied to EQemu? Basically take for example EQemu repack and ensure it stays up to date automatically as the peqDB changes in the future?

Another words combined together a slipstream installation and patching system. I kind of assume it was partly made both to update old DB's easily, but also to ensure your repack stays up to date and doesn't require constant maintenance for users?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
Is this a bit like WSUS offline slipstream updates applied to EQemu? Basically take for example EQemu repack and ensure it stays up to date automatically as the peqDB changes in the future?

Another words combined together a slipstream installation and patching system. I kind of assume it was partly made both to update old DB's easily, but also to ensure your repack stays up to date and doesn't require constant maintenance for users?
No, its not supposed to be a WSUS type of setup. Most people upgrading a server are connected to the internet at the time because they need to pull down new source files to even compile and this script runs no differently.

This is for everyone, to keep databases consistent and also provide us a graceful medium to apply updates effectively.

Yeah sure its being but right in the middle of normal workflow, but if you're up to date you don't notice anything.

At its core its meant to keep a database update with the binary you are running, it fetches updates from github and runs whatever is appropriate.

With it, we also can start providing pre-patch options in it too. Like for example enabling bots at the database level or enabling mercenaries, turning on and off rules and such can be made plug and play with this as well. Lots to evolve with.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, I realized the issue after waiting about half an hour and doing a df -h. And yes, linux.

Ultimately, I was bringing my source up to date and my database is all screwed up because I guess bots are screwed up right now? So it was never able to run all the updates properly.
Are you running bots currently?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:02 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Are you running bots currently?
I was, but that was around 6 months ago. I had to rebuild my vps and am just getting around to getting eqemu back up now.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Here is a fix for linux users. Replace your start script as such:

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?Module=...Paste=xRJzfmq2

It will run the update routine before ever triggering world, which will all the user take care of updates, exit the program and then everything will continue to flow and start the server up every single time until you decide to upgrade.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:31 PM
ionhsmith
Discordant

Hmm I must be missing something ... how do I go about installing this?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionhsmith View Post
Hmm I must be missing something ... how do I go about installing this?
What do you mean? Are you running Linux? Or are you talking about the system itself?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:29 PM
ionhsmith
Discordant

No I do not run linux ... I was talking about the system itself ... I like the idea of being able to quickly install updates .... Is this only for linux?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

No being on Linux just means you have to change a little bit of your scripts to make it more friendly.

This explains how it works here, in the end its part of the binary and I've put a lot of effort in making it seamless.

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Automat...-process-works