Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:57 PM
InfiniteHashbrowns
Fire Beetle

Default Drak

Where's Drak?

#releasethedrakcut

We need custom classes and a server with a unique vision. C'mon Drak, you know you wanna do it. I need me that Thane life.

/pours_one_out for a simpler time

I'd even play if Kosmik was there demanding you buff his MQ botted mage so he could warp to bosses and afk progress through your custom zones.

Point is, just make a server with thane and pooping ifrits and i'll be there.

WHERE YOU @ DRAK
Old 11-25-2020, 08:35 PM
Chrysocome
Fire Beetle

do we really need another drak drama fest that ends in a tantrum where the server abruptly goes down one day? we've already weathered three or four of them.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:30 AM
lgsource1
Fire Beetle

I love drak's servers but i wont play if he comes back, investing time in a server that doesn't last is disappointing.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:37 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgsource1 View Post
investing time in a server that doesn't last is disappointing.
Don't get me wrong with this reply, I'm not sticking up for "Drak", or condoning his past behaviour, it's just a reality check, more than anything.

Emu servers come and go all the time. Hundreds of them over the years. I realize how frustrating it can be, but this is all mostly a personal hobby for everyone in the community. Server development is not their job, there is no paycheque, so they can choose to play with it for a few days, a few months, or a few years and drop it anytime, without notice, and/or maybe go back to it some other day and do it all over again.

If one was to imply an "unspoken disclaimer", none of them have any obligations to keep that server up and running for anyone, for any length of time. Even if you donated to the server dev, there is no "EULA" between the Emu players and the servers they play on. If you choose to bring out your credit card, it all boils down to one thing - Sometimes you're the bird. Sometimes you're the statue.

It really is a judgement call, you have to make early when donating to a new server. You already know there is fully legit and reliable servers on that list and you know which ones they are. But the last thing you want to do is take that "Green list" for granted. Varlyndria was on that list at one time, as well as others that have come and gone.

For any legitimate production servers out there, it does cost money to run them. even one from home, using a dedicated box, the hardware/maintenance costs money. Using a dedicated host in a data center is a minimum $150/month for a decent host/connection. (price varies between hosting companies) Those who look for donations to help cover that cost, helps them with their hobby and it gives you something in return. The entertainment of playing on it.

But as for those servers you see coming and going, it doesn't necessarily mean they had bad intentions when they started it up. many things can go wrong, that the person didn't anticipate. So when an unforgiving, toxic player base logs on with unreasonable expectations, that new guy can easily become frustrated enough to bail out on his goals, before he barely got started. He did all that work for free. he owes nothing.

As for Drak, he pretty much found himself, when Valyndria was removed from the Green list.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:46 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Imagine the Drak fiasco if Caryatis was still around
Old 12-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Splose
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteHashbrowns View Post
Where's Drak?

#releasethedrakcut

We need custom classes and a server with a unique vision. C'mon Drak, you know you wanna do it. I need me that Thane life.

I'd even play if Kosmik was there demanding you buff his MQ botted mage so he could warp to bosses and afk progress through your custom zones.

WHERE YOU @ DRAK
Old 12-09-2020, 08:13 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. He was like the Joe Pesci of the Emu "Goodfellas". ;P
Old 12-16-2020, 12:33 AM
adverture001
Fire Beetle

Mah fuckas out here tryn to summon the devil n shit
Old 03-27-2021, 04:11 PM
lupisnoctum
Sarnak

Quote:
I'd even play if Kosmik was there
How many years has it been since Drak's last cash grab imploded? You're still on about me? Yikes. You incels really are scary. Interestingly enough, reading an article on the Atlanta massage parlor killer reminded me of emuland's existence. Third thread I peek at and here you are.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:37 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Where's Drak?

#releasethedrakcut

WHERE YOU @ DRAK

Let's not call anybody by name on the forums. There is enough drama in the world with the pandemic.

To let this end and give some hope to the community here is a list off the top of my head:

#1: Tidefall is in development and it will be a gift from me and my team to everybody on EQemu and those that have helped out in the past. This server is not coming out for a long time. We are taking our time with it and making sure it will be green server status worthy at launch. Nothing rushed here.

#2: Tidefall will never have a donation system of any kind. Around Feb of this year I decided to axe it. Donations won't even be mentioned inside the server when you play. There will be a small area on our discord that will have options to send money and help out. That's it. Forever.

#3: I have a kid now IRL and becoming a father has changed how I feel about pretty much everything now. I see things differently. Hell, I even shared a pretty big project with the community recently to help devs with their spell animations.

#4: I am not proud of my past work, (besides the original varlyndria before donation systems ruined it) and I know for damn sure I can deliver a much better experience to this community. You guys deserve that.

#5: The current Varlyndria servers you see are not by my team and I. They are mainly from people who got the old files that I shared a long time ago. Be cautious with some of these servers. The one up now is from a server hacker who likes to go by Johnny and various other names in Discord. I advise all devs to increase your security to max on your discords.

#6: If you want to learn more about the Tidefall project click my sig. All are welcome to join but it does have high security right now so you need a phone. Here is to a new future going forward with a drama free and fun experience for all.

EDITED:
#7: I just added the entire list of Varlyndria 2019 donators to the Tidefall Discord with a big special thank you. We are making Tidefall for everybody, but especially for the people who have been there for a long time helping out.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:28 AM
valroth78
Fire Beetle

Tidefall's in progress, I've been coding a whole lot of custom stuff for the classes and some features on the server.

I myself never played previous to Varlyndria 2019 I believe it's referred to, I played up to the current tier when it shut down. I never donated myself, but some of the donator items definitely got out of hand (cough Sappy's Bracer).

Hopefully we'll all be pooping ifrits surrounded by lightning graphics soon

-Ceyx
Old 03-28-2021, 11:28 PM
Splose
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiyth View Post
#2: Tidefall will never have a donation system of any kind. Around Feb of this year I decided to axe it. Donations won't even be mentioned inside the server when you play. There will be a small area on our discord that will have options to send money and help out. That's it. Forever.
"We won't have donations, but here's where you can donate"
Old 03-29-2021, 09:25 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splose View Post
"We won't have donations, but here's where you can donate"
From what it sounds like he'll have donations that are actually donations for nothing in return - as they should be, not 'donations' for items or preferential treatment.

I'm cool with that - and I am sure your community will hold you to your word.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
I miss my best friend Caryatis.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:08 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
From what it sounds like he'll have donations that are actually donations for nothing in return - as they should be, not 'donations' for items or preferential treatment.

I'm cool with that - and I am sure your community will hold you to your word.

This is 100% correct. Thank you, Secrets.

DONATION SYSTEM
Donate to the server and you'll get items in the game for your help. However, these could be classified as Pay2Win or just make somebody feel like crap because they can't get the same item or buff npc because they are tight on money. It's a little uncouth and I finally agree with players who feel that way.

NO DONATION SYSTEM BUT DONATION OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE
There is no incentive or reward in the game to donate. There isn't even an NPC that says donate and help in the server. Donating is completely optional and something a player can seek out on the discord if they wish to do so. Donating in this way is mainly to help with server costs or just to be nice because you enjoy the server. Nothing else.