Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Vexira
Fire Beetle

Default Sick

http://www.dperry.com/archives/news/...aikai_-_video/
Old 07-07-2009, 06:21 AM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, that is very impressive! I knew something like this would come eventually, but that looks pretty damn smooth already. It would be nice if it could be done using less bandwidth and resources, and I wonder if full-screen is or will be an option. Other than that, I am amazed at how it looks in the demo there.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 AM
jenco420
Banned

Code:
(7) Our bandwidth is mostly sub 1 megabit across all games. (Works with Wifi, works on netbooks with no 3D card etc.)
that's pretty low bandwith already lol~
Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeormom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenco420 View Post
Code:
(7) Our bandwidth is mostly sub 1 megabit across all games. (Works with Wifi, works on netbooks with no 3D card etc.)
that's pretty low bandwith already lol~
Many parts of the world still are not up to 1Mbps yet while others of us are at 20Mbps. For example, the most popular subscriber plan in Australia is 512k/256k.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 AM
jenco420
Banned

I see your point, but it is streaming whole games, more than just audio / video. I'm not saying it could be decreased further, but i don't see it shrinking to 512k.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Shendare
Dragon

Well, technically, it is only streaming the audio / video from the game, while transmitting your mouse and keyboard actions to the server.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 AM
trevius
Developer

I wonder if there will be an option to increase/decrease resolution and/or sound quality. That seems like it would help to allow more range in bandwidth utilization. I think 1Mbit is pretty decent, but constantly streaming that much for hours every day could drive up usage quite a bit. I think some providers have caps on how much total bandwidth they allow per month on average. At the rate of 1Mbit per second, that is 60 per minute and 3.6GBits per hour. If someone is putting in 5 hours of play per day average for a month, that is about 540GBit per month, which is quite a bit, lol. Though, I guess if you are playing something that much, you would be better off to actually install the game and play it instead. I would also think those bandwidth costs would drive the cost of such a service to be very pricey. Could you imagine how much it would cost to have just a few thousand players on at all times using that much bandwidth from their hosted servers? Probably not cheap :P
Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeormom
Discordant

Well ISP's often meter bandwidth in bytes so you get to divide by 8 one time to make that scary number look more friendly.

The biggest justification beyond this software is licensing and the ability for desktop replacement. A person could use a licensed copy of Microsoft Office where they might normally pirate one instead and could also finally play Crysis on potentially enthusiast settings and not have a $2000 desktop or even play these full blown games on their mobile devices, like a Palm Pre.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Vexira
Fire Beetle

I'd use it for my laptop while I travel.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 AM
Davood
Discordant

i wish there was a solution like that for home use (serving up my own aps through a streaming remote interface) pc anywhere and vnc simply don't cut it :(