Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Solter
Fire Beetle

Default For real?

Hey guys,
Believe it or not this is the first time I've even heard of playing eqemu or project 1999 etc. (still not sure how it all works) I stumbled across this site on a random search. I've played eq nearly from the beginning and quit about 3 years ago for the very reasons someone came up with eqemu. 2 months ago I paid monthly dues to Sony to try and recapture the "magic." I have been unsuccessful.
I tried to download the "Titaniuim" version from several different places but didn't get any actual downloads. Before I go out and purchase Titanium I must ask if this is the real deal. Sony doesn't care about the fact they aren't getting subscription fees on their game? The platform is stable? Not buggy with frequent, ill-timed crashes? I'm just trying to understand what's going on. My ol' mama used to say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..."

PS
Lots of members on this forum. What are the chances someone could be from the original Vazaelle (sp) server or the combined Maelin Starpyre server and remember the name "Solter."
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
daerath
Sarnak

Yes, it's the real deal. The Emu is not 100% current with live EQ. The server I spend my time on (Irreverent Server) is only up to Gates of Discord, but that's around the time I quit so it feels like "home". That said, I'm not sure what the exact state of the Emu is with respect to Omens of War and the later expansions and features, so it could be that GoD or OoW is as far as things have progressed.

Sony doesn't seem to care much, probably because all Emu servers are free and it's not like everyone here would go back to live EQ if their servers shut down. It's just not worth their time.

Servers are stable, instances work, etc. There are some bugs, but they get fixed over time.

It's possible someone here remembers that name, but I have yet to run across anyone I knew from live. That said, if Lymm, Metabolics, Aandien, Velamon, and a host of other folks from Clan of Unity, Sign of One, Night Eternal, Nightbane, Paralax, or Elemental Dawn are kicking it around on here I'd be happy to see them again. =)
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Expletus
Hill Giant

It's real. You have two types of servers (for the most part), Live and custom. They are clearly defined in their title and most have a website you can look up their rule set at.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

Yep, it's definitely for real. Free and all.

Lotta good folks in the community, too.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Steam has Underfoot expansion (as of today) for $19.99
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24180/
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Solter
Fire Beetle

Man this is super "cool." I'll spend some time reading up on this but there's a lot of info to cover. The worst part about EQ when I quit wasn't so much the program or code, it was finding a freaking group. Soloing sucks. It's a great game but ya' need other peeps to play with.
I've seen 3 different versions of EQ that are acceptable to play on these servers. Titanium, SoF and one other I forget. Is any obne of these better overall? Or maybe one may be better for a particular server. I'm not sure how this is set up so maybe one person set up a server to work with Titanium and another server works best with SoF etc. I'm just trying to figure out which program I should spend time and money trying to acquire.
Thanks for the replies to my post. Hope to see you "in-game" soon....
Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
daerath
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solter View Post
Man this is super "cool." I'll spend some time reading up on this but there's a lot of info to cover. The worst part about EQ when I quit wasn't so much the program or code, it was finding a freaking group. Soloing sucks. It's a great game but ya' need other peeps to play with.
I've seen 3 different versions of EQ that are acceptable to play on these servers. Titanium, SoF and one other I forget. Is any obne of these better overall? Or maybe one may be better for a particular server. I'm not sure how this is set up so maybe one person set up a server to work with Titanium and another server works best with SoF etc. I'm just trying to figure out which program I should spend time and money trying to acquire.
Thanks for the replies to my post. Hope to see you "in-game" soon....
Some use the SoD client, and many use Titanium. I think Titanium works on all of them, but the server's description will tell you if you should be on a specific version or not.

For example, on Irreverent, Titanium is the preferred client. You can use other versions, but there are some incompatibilities depending on the zone (e.g. Plane of Sky, East & West Commonlands vs. The Commonlands, etc.)

If you're looking to buy one, I'd go with Titanium.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 AM
trevius
Developer

Titanium is the best client to use if you plan to play on servers like Project 1999 that don't support the newer clients, but most servers do support them. I would not recommend the SoF client, as it is a little unstable. Personally, my favorite client is the SoD one from Steam (or Underfoot if you can get the needed files to copy over for it). For servers that support them, the SoD client is really great. It has tons of extra features and supports far more content than Titanium does. Plus, SoD is more compatible with newer multi-core CPUs, which makes the setup easier if you have a multi-core CPU.

Some servers have SoD content available (like my server, Storm Haven), and without SoD, you will not be able to experience that content. You can still progress well enough on Titanium, but you will be missing out on a lot of cool content for SoF+ clients.

The getting started guide here has more information on the supported clients:

http://www.eqemulator.org/wiki/wikka...akka=PlayGuide

And you can click the View links on the server list page here for details on each server:

http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverlist
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Solter
Fire Beetle

Thanks. That's good info. (I had already found a new boxed Titanium for a good price. Think I'll hold off)

I'm not a computer expert so I don't feel bad asking a stupid question. I don't suppose there is any way to bring my character with me is there? I guess he's not actually saved on my computer but on a Sony server. Stupid question....but ya' never know. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solter View Post
Thanks. That's good info. (I had already found a new boxed Titanium for a good price. Think I'll hold off)

I'm not a computer expert so I don't feel bad asking a stupid question. I don't suppose there is any way to bring my character with me is there? I guess he's not actually saved on my computer but on a Sony server. Stupid question....but ya' never know. Doesn't hurt to ask.
No, you can't, and its the same with these servers here. Whatever characters you have on one eqemu server, stay on that server, as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:23 AM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
No, you can't, and its the same with these servers here. Whatever characters you have on one eqemu server, stay on that server, as well.
Well not really true. The guys on the EQTitan server have a script that reads the PEQ Magelo and will duplicate your PEQ character onto Titan with a few restrictions.

Account validation is putting a specific random item in a random inventory slot. so validation would require having a live account active.. other than that I am sure someone with the will could write a parser for live magelo data. but the demand would be def not worth the time.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Solter
Fire Beetle

I know it seems silly. Solter is just an imaginary character made up of code and stored on a server. But he and I have logged quite a few hours together. It doesn't seem right that SOE should keep him, even if I could just save him on my pc and use him as some type of screen saver. :p
Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Solter
Fire Beetle

So if I did have any interest in "saving" my digital alter ego, I should get a Magelo account before my EQ subscription runs out and then I'll have all the info I need if I do indeed attempt to resurrect Solter on another server?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Solter
Fire Beetle

But I'd then be required to set up an account on a server that allows levels up to 80 I suppose....
Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

Keeping data of any sort that's important to you is never a bad idea. Even if it doesn't provide immediate benefits, you'll never know what will come 'down the pike' next when someone is struck with an inspiration.

Heck, I kinda wish I'd done the same with my characters in their heyday's on the 'ol Erollisi Marr server.