Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Orsenfelt
Fire Beetle

Default Total Life ; New server on the horizon.

Hi all, Just thought I'd post a little note about a new server I have been working on.

First of all, It should be noted that it is by no means finished. Our idea is quite ambitious and involves a lot of changes.

We will be launching (Date unknown currently) in 'Completed Beta' stages. This means that the majority of the base work will be down, Players will be starting a game that won't change drastically after Beta. During this time we will fix issues, Clean up loose ends. At the end of this stage a character wipe will be done, Beta status removed and everyone starts a-fresh!

The idea of Total Life is to land right in between the majority of servers. We are not a hardcore server (Leveling is sped up, Custom loot has been created etc) however we are also not a quick leveling server.

Some time should be put into your leveling, Along the way we hope to offer a large amount of items, zones, quests and challenges. It's not all about reaching end-game, There is something for everyone, everywhere.

(Note: None of these details are set in stone. The general idea will not change, Things like level restrictions etc might)

Backdrop:
  • It's good versus evil. All classes can chose either and will get benefits accordingly.
  • Level restricted PvP
  • Level 80 (May change..) Max Level
  • 12-Person raid mobs
  • Fairly lengthy epic quests leading to worthwhile rewards.
  • Multiple epic choices per class depending on play style.
  • Customized classes - Essentially, As it stands some classes are generally not needed all that much in the Emulator. To fix this we have fleshed out the classes, Some have minor changes and others have slightly more major changes. All classes will be of equal playability.
  • PvP'ers will get minor benefits for taking part and winning. Nothing too outrageous however, Balance is key.

We would like to stress the Good and Evil portion. A players deity will ultimately decide how they progress throughout the game. 2 Classes of both good and Evil will have different quested end game spells. There will be Good and Evil natured zones, mobs and quests. How this effects a players experience is upto them. A 'Good' player for example could chose only to raid the Evil zones, Thus gaining faction with the good zones, Opening up quests, merchants and other benefits. OR they could raid Good zones, Get friendly with the evil side and eventually switching over. Switching from Good to Evil (Or vica versa..) will grant you access to certain quests that even Evil from birth characters don't have access to. These quests will not be any better.. They are just different.

If you are interested in Total Life, Want to help out on the Dev team or just want to be there when we launch then please head over to http://www.Total-Life.co.uk and sign up.

*Note : We are currently looking for coders, So if you have a talent, E-mail me : Orsenfelt@Gmail.com

Thanks,
Orsenfelt.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:30 AM
supahsen
Sarnak

Default Sounds cool

Sounds fun.. But heres 2 questions is all.

Loot: Is it random off all/most mobs your level? Basically, Can you gear yourself up well enough without needing alot of help to be able to solo or whatever?

And last.. How many zones do you plan on keeping open usually?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Orsenfelt
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahsen View Post
Sounds fun.. But heres 2 questions is all.

Loot: Is it random off all/most mobs your level? Basically, Can you gear yourself up well enough without needing alot of help to be able to solo or whatever?

And last.. How many zones do you plan on keeping open usually?
Loot: A mix of random drops, Boss mobs of varying difficulties and Quested gear. Raid looted gear will of course be better, However we do not want to lock of raids to anyone. No matter what your level, Skill or # of buddies.. There should be something you can kill to improve your gear.

One of our main goals is to provide variety. Not every Raid-equiped end game warrior for example, Should be in the exact same gear. Some might prefer higher damage weapons and STR gear, Some might prefer AC and HP gear.

This will be the same across all classes.

Zones: Assuming you mean locking down zones to keep players in certain areas to encourage PvP.. Yes and no.
We want to keep it as open as possible, essentially. However we will lock players out of zones that are too buggy or too un-predictable for 'safe' PvP-ing. (What's the point in trying to kill someone in a zone where Doors don't open or zonelines are in odd places!?)

One of the biggest problems to overcome is ofcourse playerbase. To sort this, Any high-end raid zone will be non-PvP, Good and Evil players will be encouraged to raid together, group together etc.

Essentially, Total Life will be mainly PvE, Lot's of content, Lot's of groups, Gear, Quests..etc. PvP won't be optional by default, However it won't be the main focus of the server.

If you want to PvP, The majority of zones will allow it and it will bring little benefits here and there. If you don't want to PvP, We might even provide a quest line you can complete to 'opt out'.

We understand that PvP isn't for everyone, We understand that it can get annoying, Especially when you are trying to accomplish something. However it is also alot of fun and adds a lot to the experience.

Basically, It will be there, It will be possible, It will happen in zones with good gear dropping or zones with quest hand ins.. However it won't interfere with you progressing, You won't be forced into PvP-dangerous zones to improve your equipment and in order to allow players to participate equally at the end game, The raid content will be PvP limited so that opposing factions can get together and have fun.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Fridgecritter
Hill Giant

Default Levels

I have an opinion on the level portion of your introduction. I started out with level 75 top level on my server, and quickly realized that most of the 71 - 75 spells don't work. The druid class seems to have all of it's 71 - 75 spells, but classes like wizard have none. This means if you are a caster, your character stops progressing other than stats after 70.

So warriors, Berzerkers, and especially Monks will continue to progress as it pertains to being able to mitigate damage and have effective abilities after 70, but classes like Clerics or Wizards who rely on spells for damage mitigation will be left out.

My question to you is, are you going to be creating the spells and game content for players over level 70?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Orsenfelt
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridgecritter View Post
I have an opinion on the level portion of your introduction. I started out with level 75 top level on my server, and quickly realized that most of the 71 - 75 spells don't work. The druid class seems to have all of it's 71 - 75 spells, but classes like wizard have none. This means if you are a caster, your character stops progressing other than stats after 70.

So warriors, Berzerkers, and especially Monks will continue to progress as it pertains to being able to mitigate damage and have effective abilities after 70, but classes like Clerics or Wizards who rely on spells for damage mitigation will be left out.

My question to you is, are you going to be creating the spells and game content for players over level 70?
If the end level ends up being 70+ then yes, Certainly. We already have plans for custom spells all-throughout various different levels (I won't give too much away...)

Like I say however, We are unsure as to what the max level will be. There are some questions to be answered on that front.

For example your question, If max level is 80.. Are we able to add spells to the classes that need it and keep balance?

It's something that will be decided in the very near future
Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Rathora
Fire Beetle

This server will certainly be worth a try in my opinion, and I'll certainly make my Ranger and Monk, respectively. I'm totally going to try to get every ounce of content that I can in for sure, and for the first time ever, am actually looking FORWARD to raids, which usually doesnt happen for me. Just one question: Will this server stay around, or is it going to be a 7 month drop-and-go thing?