Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::Packetcollector

Archive::Packetcollector Archive area for Packetcollector's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-29-2003, 09:42 AM
LothanEQ
Fire Beetle

Default Get Error When Trying To Run PacketCollector

Hello,

Followed all the readme and double checked it but still get errors.

I start PacketCollector with this command line:

packetcollector 192.168.1.102

I zone, and look at a few items, alt-enter out of the game and then do a CTRL-C in the cmd window and recieve:

Failed to connect to database: Error: Access denied for user: 'items@dhcpxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.woh.rr.com' (Using password: YES)
Not connected. Cannot upload items.
Not connected. Cannot upload texts.

I xxx'd out the IP address myself. The IP address of my router was there.

Also, I expected to the the collected_items.eqitems file be larger than zero bytes.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:09 PM
sup2069
Hill Giant

Default Re: Get Error When Trying To Run PacketCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LothanEQ
Hello,

I start PacketCollector with this command line:

packetcollector 192.168.1.102
try packetcollector.exe followed by 192.168.1.102
so ie.

packetcollector.exe 192.168.1.102.

Heres mine

E:\pc packetcollector.exe XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Old 09-30-2003, 12:45 AM
LothanEQ
Fire Beetle

Techinally, leaving off the .exe portion off an executable means nothing to a Microsoft based OS, but, I tried it anyway just so that I could say that I did. I still get the same error.

From the error message, it appears that the database is rejecting connection attempts from my host.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:05 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Make sure your using the latest version of packetcollector. The password was changed recently to stop old versions from working. There was a seriously flaw with that version, thats why it wont allow you to use the old version.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:24 AM
LothanEQ
Fire Beetle

I'll double check that because I saw somewhere else it was updated. I've been downloading it from the link provided in the readme sticky thread though. I just tried a version from that link again lastnight but maybe I'm getting the wrong version still or something.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:20 AM
LothanEQ
Fire Beetle

Ok, just downloaded the executable again. The one I just got had a time stamp of 3 hours newer than the one I got lastnight and works like a charm now. I guess I just picked a bad time to start trying it out lastnight. =x
Old 10-02-2003, 05:47 AM
LothanEQ
Fire Beetle

Default One Last Question About PacketCollector

I let the collector run for hours night before last and didn't find anything new to upload. I did have a question though. Should my collected_items.eqitems file be empty? Are only items that are uploaded written to this file? I ask because unless I upload something, I have no way to be sure that the collector is even working properly on my computer. I get no errors but I also get 0 Items upload, 0 Items Updated and so on.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer

it should tell you in the window if it detects the everquest connection. If it doesnt display that then try to change the ip your trying to log from (the one you used on the command line when you ran packetcollector). Switch it with your internal network ip from your external ip (or vice versa). You can determine your internal ip by typing ipconfig at the command line.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:50 PM
LothanEQ
Fire Beetle

Found the problem!!! I knew I couldn't be this stupid on how to get this thing to work.

The problem is a "bug". Maybe the lack of a feature is a better term. I have an Asus P4C800 mobo which has a built-in 1394 firewire. This firewire is another network adapter in the system. Once I finally had the bright idea to search the registry to see what device was assosicated with the code that PacketCollector was saying it was sniffing, I realized it was defaulting to my 1394 network adapter. I went into Computer Management (on WinXP) and disabled the 1394 controller and then PacketCollector worked fine because it was finding the only network adapter left on my system, the one it should have been using.

Since the Lucy itemcollector has a GUI, it prompts the user to select which adapter sniff. I had totally forgotten about his until realizing this PacketCollector was sniffing the 1394.

Another helpful piece of info I learned a month or so back, people need to make sure they are using the latest version of WinCap because the older version doesn't like either the 1394 or the gigabit controller. Not sure which or maybe it's both.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer

Yes the -d option allows you to specify which device you want to collect on.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:48 PM
LothanEQ
Fire Beetle

Yep, figured it out. Sorry for all the hassle. Thanks for putting up with me.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer

heh the way I look at it, the more we support our users the better we help ourselves.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:40 PM
ric0h
Sarnak

Hmm. disabled the firewire, but now packetcollector doesn't show any interfaces.

Doesn't packetcollector support dialup connection sniffing?
I guess there are still lots of EQ players on 56k...

-d just gives a

and bails out.