Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:12 PM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

Default Question to Devs about waypoint commands

Is the random setting for pause (2) supposed to use a random pause based from the initial assigned pause , or is it just a random pause in general?
My npcs seem to do fine most of the time , but when I start getting the larger zones closer to finished , the npcs seem to randomly stop running thier waypoints like they are on an indefinite pause.
Any info on this will help me alot.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 05:14 PM

Default Zone capacities...

I am having the same problem. I was under the impression that it was due to the fact that I'm running the server software and the terminal all on the same computer (only a piii 450, LoL).

None of my NPC's would follow waypoints with a full spawn2 database. However, due to my storyline, I am having to ace everything (including factions) and starting from scratch. I now have no problems with waypoint programming and am currently testing my capacity for each zone I've included.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:36 PM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

I run the server on a seperate machine.
1.3 ghz athalon with 512mb DDR ram, so shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:24 AM

Default I figured...

I knew you were right. I suppose this limitation is pointing it's finger at the programming. I wonder if it is a limitation of the mysql database (as a free program)?
Old 07-17-2003, 06:30 AM
cannonalldex
Sarnak

im not for sure on how the pause is implemented, but from what i seen doing grids and waypoints, either the mobs are using a random pause in general, or the more mobs you get on grids in the zone seems like they are all taking turns moving, but then again i have 7 mobs in crystal caverns that are all assigned to thier own grid, they all follow thier waypoints ( each having approximatly 5 waypoints) all up and down through the caves. just marvelous if i do say so myself

Note i put a way point at each turn in the cave for them to avoid hitting the walls.

i am as well baffled at how the pause works, especially when you random pause for 5 seconds and the mob stands there for 30 and then goes to next point.

one more thing, TCS, i noticed your asking for help on setting up mobs ect. stop in to my server sometime and check out my work. im willing to work something out with you. thanks

cannon's fury
Old 07-17-2003, 06:49 AM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

What's your servers name?
Old 07-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Bigpull
Discordant

It's not your imagination, first in first out. All entities take turns in the main proccess loop executing thier ::Proccess() function

Now you may be thinking well thats f**ked up, why don't you just thread those off. Well because I for one know my machine can't handle spawning 100+ threads every couple of seconds, some zones have way over 100 npc (Haven for instance has over 350)
Old 07-17-2003, 07:29 AM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

So.... , If I shorten the pause times , they should all get thier turn alittle quicker ?
Only one grid at a time kinda defeats the purpose of moving "NPC's".
I also now have been having trouble with none of the pathing functioning on zone-in, I have to actually do a #repop to even get any of the npc's to move.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:00 PM
used_pawn
Sarnak

Actually, I fixed this on my server...
The problem is (sorry Im not looking at my code, bear with the abstracts) a variable used as a flag to mark whether or not the timer has expired. All NPCs were using the SAME FLAG.
So, simple fix was to add the flag definition in the header for the NPCs (Mob.h i believe) and take the def. out of the main thread.
Voila, worked like a dream. Hunt through the code, you will see what I mean.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:55 AM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

Ok , I'm not a coder , but I think I found what you're talking about.
Is this correct??
Remove the line in MobAi.cpp -
under void Mob: :AI_Init() {

AImovement_timer = 0;

and move it into the Mob.h under the defines?
Old 07-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Bigpull
Discordant

bool timercompleted=true;

Near the top of the file.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:26 PM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

used_pawn> Could you post your changes for me?
Would help me a bunch with moving npc DB.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:49 AM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

Can anybody help me out here?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:08 AM
krich
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsmyworld
Can anybody help me out here?
Alright, I'm not a Mob expert by any stretch, but I think this is what you need to do based on the above posts...try it and let me know what happens.

Back up MobAI.cpp and mob.h because I've been known to be frequently and catastrophically wrong
MobAI.cpp, Line 32, select, copy, delete the line
mob.h, Line 103, insert a blank line and paste
recompile

This removes the variable with global scope and makes it part of the Mob object, giving it one instance of this variable for each Mob. Don't know enough about what this variable does to determine if this variable should be public or private, but public will work for now.

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm totally wrong...I might be...but I thought I would try to help.

Regards,

krich
Old 07-23-2003, 11:49 AM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

returns 47 errors -

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Source\Zone\mob.h(65 : error C2258: illegal pure syntax, must be '= 0'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Source\Zone\mob.h(65 : error C2252: 'timercompleted' : pure specifier can only be specified for functions

23 of each of those as it compiles , triggered from mob.h

and this one in MobAI.cpp

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Source\Zone\MobAI.cpp(715) : error C2065: 'timercompleted' : undeclared identifier

any ideas?