Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Default My Screensaver got bugged

Anyone have any idea why my Linux screensaver would stop working? all that happens is the screen goes black as if it had the "blank" screensaver active, regardless what ever screensaver I use.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

That happened to me once, I just removed the screensaver packages and reinstalled them (gotta love apt-get) I didn't have the time to figure out what exactly went wrong, and since it hasn't happened again, I haven't needed to find out.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I had uninstalled most of them, still got a few more to go. These are built in with KDE, and want to remove too much on an uninstall.
I upgraded to Mandriva 2008 (from 2007) and that's when it all started. Upgrading in my distro usually ends up with a disk format, but this time around, it went pretty well, just some small stuff, like my screensaver.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Well, 2 days ago I decided to remove a couple "screensaver related" packages (last two), and it happened - I killed my x-server. Not much of a problem, since I've done this many times before.
Always when I upgrade the distro, it's never "flawless". Probably because a linux machine becomes so customized to your needs, it's very hard to upgrade.
I learned a while back to keep my /home directory on a separate hard disk , so if I need to re-install, i keep everything I had before, just a matter of getting them working again (manual upgrade).
Next time, I won't mess around, better to just install the new distro.