Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:30 PM
hallsofvallhalla
Fire Beetle

Default New to everquest..yes seriously

hey everyone. First time player of everquest. Yeah 10 years behind I know. Well I actually played it for about 15 minutes a few years back or so.

Anyways I am looking to get into it and was looking for advice. What is a good server to start with? I will most likely be playing solo a lot. I would love a RP type server. Would also love to see a active community as far as things happening in the game and website. Like events.

Any tips or help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM
trevius
Developer

The server list here shows some useful information for picking a server:

http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverlist

That will show you which servers have how many players on them at any given time. Also, if you click the view link for a server, most of them give some details on the server and/or a website link where you can go to read more about the server.

There are 1 or 2 servers out there made specifically for solo play, but many of them are solo friendly at least until you reach higher end content where you may want to either start multi-boxing multiple characters to play with yourself, or you may want to make friends and/or join a guild to take on the harder content.

For someone first getting into EQ, I would recommend you try one of the custom servers. The live-like servers are cool too, but they are probably going to be much more slower paced than you may be used to if you have tried other MMORPGs. Really, I would recommend giving each of the Legend/Preferred servers a try for a while and see which you like best.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Trev is right, if you never played EQ1, you must know that plain vanilla EQ is ULTRA hard core, and unlike today's MMOs like WoW or EQ2, it simply impossible to get anything done without a full group, once you past level 20.

Among the most popular server, Project 1999 and Grand Creation are the 2 vanilla servers (P99 is also classic hard core), so I would suggest to try something from the Green list.

Both Storm Heaven and Hidden Forest, are decent starting ground (custom content servers), where soloing is possible all way to 70, before you will need to either group or box, to progress.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
hallsofvallhalla
Fire Beetle

thanks for the help and advice!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
loglos
Sarnak

I wouldn't say peq or even 1999 is impossible past 20 without a full group. Slower, but easily doable all the way to 65. Trying to get to 65 purely solo (and trying to roleplay the entire way) would be a pretty cool excursion.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Mleh
Fire Beetle

p1999 players may be running off 110 octane nostalgia... but its what got people addicted to the game.

play the original game see if you like it - ez mode discourages grouping/meeting people and has less character development value.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 PM
BuzWeaver
Fire Beetle

Welcome to EQ, though its not like being on live, what you can experience is what it was like when a lot of us first started. I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago about how overwhelmed I felt when EQ first came out. I can only imagine what it must be like for someone just starting for the first time.

Project1999 would probably be your best bet to get the real deal feel. The issues you may run into is researching game aspects. I'm not sure how much time you'd dedicate to forum surfing and research, but there are some great sites you can visit, although elements of the EMU don't necessarily apply to what you may read (in reference to EQ Live Web Sites).