Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Elkay
Hill Giant

Default Is the current git source buildable?

I've build this before, but having trouble with even the first few steps succeeding at the moment. The first steps are pretty straight-forward, so not really prone to error.

1) Get (Git) the source code
Done. All files pulled successfully to \Source folder.

2) Add build folder in root of Source.
Done. Durrrr.

3) Add x86 dependencies to the dependencies folder.
Done. Pulled latest referenced copy.

4) Install and launch CMake-gui.
Done. Latest version is 3.10.1.

5) Set source folder.
Done. Set to C:/Users/xxx/Temp/EQ/Source

6) Set build folder.
Done. C:/Users/xxx/Temp/EQ/Source/Build

7) Click Configure.
Done. Selected Visual Studio 15 2017. I have full Enterprise version installed because I use it daily for work. No special configuration at all beyond show line numbers in all file types.

8 ) Click Finish.
Kaboom. Whole list turns red. Dialog "Error in configuration process, project files may be invalid". Clicking this repeatedly changes nothing.

Any ideas? I did this process a few years ago with no issues. Also not at all new to programming. Little confused since there's little room for error here.

SIDE NOTE: My goal is to compile this eventually as x64. That is possible using the x64 dependencies and x64 ActivePerl, right?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Elkay
Hill Giant

Got it working. Built it on my actual server box rather than my laptop I normally work on. Likely cause was I don't have MySQL or Perl installed on the laptop, but I didn't want to install them there so just downloaded VS Community onto the server.

One question remaining though - is it possible to build the current code on git as an x64 executable?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:34 PM
Uleat
Developer

I'm pretty sure it's still possible to build x64 (people have done it in the past.) Not sure if I've heard any updates since win 10, though.

I don't know if the login server is x64 buildable..someone else may know.

Also, not quite sure why you would want to compile x64 as the current binary memory requirements are nowhere near 4GB and 8-byte pointers would only increase that footprint.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Elkay
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Also, not quite sure why you would want to compile x64 as the current binary memory requirements are nowhere near 4GB and 8-byte pointers would only increase that footprint.
No increase in performance at all by running native x64 instead of WoW64? Not that I'm hurting for CPU cycles, more a "why not" thing. Memory isn't a concern. I'm running on a dedicated game server box with just a few other emulators and the box has 32GB of RAM. My other emu servers are all running native x64.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Uleat
Developer

Akkadius may have more input concerning build performance than I can provide.

It would be interesting to see an actual comparison between the different modes.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Your original question answer: Did you start up visual studio, start a new blank C++ project, and close out? When you install the community edition of Visual Studio it never actually installs C++, just the core IDE and the langauges that don't support modular installs. Cmake won't detect your C++ compiler if you JUST install visual studio, open it up follow my steps above and it should start a larger download the moment you hit new c++ project. You can exit out and not save the project, and try running cmake again.

--- 64 bit question
I compile source on 64bit due to some 3rd party libs I added in moving me to it. I did not see any real performance or ram difference, though I did not compare it.

Due to how eqemu is designed with the split of world and zones, the zones never really occupy enough memory or usage, there's more performance boost limiting the number of packets and cycles being spent per player (which was recently optimized) than adjusting the processor type and boosting memory limitations. We're talking the largest zones lay at maybe 200mb max, no where near the 32bit limitations

That's my 2 cents at least.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 01-09-2018, 08:57 PM
kokey98
Hill Giant

not so long form now 32 bit apps will die. somethign required for or during the installation process will inevitably force a change.

a 32 bit compile is clearly the way to go at the moment without any special needs. easier access to files, more documentation etc etc