Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 AM
supahsen
Sarnak

Default CoH PVP?...

So.. Today in the server list i noticed a server named "COHPVPDEV"

So... Is CoH pvp server possibly coming back or.. am i being teased x[?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Estrang
Sarnak

I never played there but everything I heard about it was awesome.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:14 PM
supahsen
Sarnak

That's cause it was easily the most fun pvp server I've ever seen on Emu so far.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Dodie
Sarnak

DoH > All for sure ^^
Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 AM
kedra
Sarnak

I'm throwing some ideas around. I might as well use this thread to poll interest, actually.

I'd like to set up a new server with fast-paced, high-stakes PVP. This will be 100% not related to the original COHPVP.

Here are some of the ideas:
  • Max Level: 50
  • Leveling is extremely fast (~1hr to 50)
  • Completely unrestricted PVP
  • Players may create guilds
  • After level 10, a player killed in PVP will be reset (Lose levels, gear, spells, etc). Players under level 10 will incur no penalty. (This only applies to PVP - not PVE)
  • Loot anything off of someone you kill in PVP - whatever you want
  • Spell scribers + Skill trainers
  • Starter gear provided that players can build on by killing / questing
  • Very compact world (About 8 zones) (I'd also like to add that we are doing our best tailor the world so that the zones are all fitting for PVP - Warslik's woods, anyone? What a great zone....)
  • Equipment will go up through about Kunark armor sets / Epic 1.0 (both probably quested)
  • Loot system will be reminiscent of the original COH random loot but not exactly the same.
  • Quests will be quick but still require a little work.

This is designed to be a PVP server that will allow you to jump in and start playing fast. The level loss and equipment looting is why we're calling this 'high stakes.' We want players to have something to lose when they PVP. If you die and lose it all, you're only talking about a few hours of work. It will be a no bitching, strictly PVP server with very little GM interference. If players want to be assholes and go on newbie killing sprees, we feel that this will only add to the excitement of PVP when they get ganked later on.

PVE will be very diverse as it was on COHPVP, so leveling up shouldn't be so mind-numbing and dull. There will be group raid zones and encounters with higher level quests to allow players to advance their characters when they reach 50.

So what are your thoughts?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 AM
miotch
Sarnak

Location: Conveiniently located in your grocers frozen food isle.

if the there is no level to level pvp restrictions post level 10, i'd lower the max level to 36.
In the original CoH there where zones that one side gained access too and farmed for gear upgrades while the other side was not fortunate enough to have access to that. I'd remove that aspect. It made the server very lopsided.

other than that it sounds very fun!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Estrang
Sarnak

I want to argue that highstakes pvp is more valuable if it takes longer to acquire said items, but nonetheless if you can build from your few hours work to get better gear, I'd say this is a great pvp server idea with a nice twist of FAST.

I'd like to recommend Crushbone as one of the 8 zones. It has an indoor castle, lots of moats and rivers for levitation, and great outdoor spots. It's a great arena type zone for all classes and I've always wanted to see it in some high level action pvp.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
polk
Fire Beetle

holy shit, this sounds awesome. the way you've described sound almost perfect,though there would obviously need to be some tweaking once people started playing. Keep the level max to 50 imo. I look forward to seeing more about this.

edit: oh yeah, and NO SAFE ZONES!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Estrang
Sarnak

Another suggestion: increase the skill training rate, like 3x or 4x training speed since leveling is so fast.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 PM
xexllama
Sarnak

Hey Kedra! Man oh man, I'd like to see you bring it back up again, just give me a holler if you need some testing or whatever (<--panda).

Old COH was great but this sounds cool, sounds like the Discord server that was up for awhile on live.

Will the body poof after pvp death btw or will it be loot-able? On the Discord server on live, if you could find your body within say 5 mins, you could grab whatever you had on it. But you were still lv1.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
xexllama
Sarnak

Oh and make ANON actual anon so people have to work to find you. Though you can still /w all zone. Makes it a tad tougher! Oh and to tag on what Miotch said yes some zones were accessed by some <---

But they were no joke and hard...here is an example and this is a warrior in Kunark quality gear:

p.s. It was slowed and crippled.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
supahsen
Sarnak

What level of gear are you planning on having drop for players? Could make abig difference.

Like what would the top hp be on say a level 50's whatever item slot?
And how common would gear dropping be? Like, by the time you hit 50 (If it stays ~1hr like you said). how many item slots might be filled up? everything or just a few slots or what?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:47 PM
kedra
Sarnak

Just to address a few things:

Gear:
Newbies will get a full set of starter gear, at 50, players can get an upgraded set. There will be several ways to acquire additional equipment:
  • Quests
  • Regular drops from standard MOBs
  • Numerous NPCs that drop class specific sets of armor (One piece at a time, similar to Empires).
  • Boss NPCs or other notables will have a chance to drop a random item from a huge pool of random items (The pool will be filtered so there aren't crazy-strong items in it. The pool will have thousands of items in it, so these types of items will be the most unique.)

PvP Looting:
The winner of PVP will be able to take everything off the corpse and let it rot, or leave some things on it as his own discretion. If the defeated player is feeling lucky, he can return to the scene of the crime and see if he can salvage anything (Even if he can't equip it at level one, he can save it).

I think this will be really interesting when unique items (see the 3rd bullet above) begin to circulate. For instance, a great item may appear that nobody else can obtain unless they kill the current owner.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 PM
unknownhost
Sarnak

i think you guys are being extremely optomistic to the "no bitching" aspect of ANY pvp server but that will tell in time.

anyways it does sound interesting! might want to considering a few more core rules though like restricting accounts allowed per player as well as heavy mq2 policing, mainly to prevent JoeBlow from loading 6-30 accounts, bot'ing up with mq2 and ninja leveling to go steamrolling.

will 1 death at any level above 10 be insta revert to level 1 or are we talking lose_1_level_per_death or what? sounding like the first one i think?

also only 8 zones, i can easily see small guild shutting down serverwide leveling activity for as long as they desire if they manage to get up high with no one else online(or possibly even existing, especially at server up). i would allow for at least the slight chance of people "sneaking off" and leveling quickly before the server-owning ganksquad can find them. maybe up the number to 16zones or so be a big help? though even then should make them large and spread out. mean assuming players still have to move from "roughlevel" monster camp to monster camp to go from 1 to 50, with 8 zones theres not going to be "that" many various camps for each level range set.

im guessing you guys have already added on spellscribes? with that leveling speed i would think this would be a requirement, unless of course casters never lose there spells then other than first time through it wouldnt be an issue.

will players retain there level50 skills when they revert to level 1?

lot of work to balance her right but definately be somthing new for the server list!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:36 AM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

If youre going to have so few zones, you should change /who so it only shows whos on world wide(no 20 person limit), but wont even show only those in your current zone so if you want to find people, you actually have to find them by searching all the zones and not just doing whos until you find the zone theyre in and then searching.