Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM
greldor
Fire Beetle

Default Free MMORPG

http://www.runesofmagic.com/us/index.html

This looks alot like WoW. Anyone have any experience with it? The thought of a free MMO with full support and a large community has its benefits.

Your thoughts. . .
Old 01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
kedra
Sarnak

I've never heard of it, but it looks kind of neat.

I tend to become very bored with a lot of the free MMORPGs. I tried Shaiya for a while but I couldn't stay interested in it. A lot of these free games have zero depth and are all strictly combat-oriented.

I may give this one a shot sometime just to see, though. They just don't make MMORPGs like they used to...
Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by greldor View Post
http://www.runesofmagic.com/us/index.html

This looks alot like WoW. Anyone have any experience with it? The thought of a free MMO with full support and a large community has its benefits.

Your thoughts. . .
My thoughs? The Asian MMO industry is a pile of garbage, with some hidden gems in them that get no respect, and they get tossed away and never seen again because of the behemoth of simplistic, casual games takes over them. (See: Runescape and Maplestory, two games of terrible quality with large playerbases, normally with simpleminded elitists and little to no pvp.)

The other issue with this type of game is that free games only work if 1) They are FPS games, not MMOFPS games though that is what I am hoping one of them sees works, and 2) They have some depth to them OTHER than kill enemy, receive loot.

Most of the free games these days are very simplistic, and are hack'n'slash. If you add a level of complexity but not too complex that you start to lose the depth of the game, that would be a fun game.

An example of a game that does this from launch: EverQuest II

While not being free, there is more to do in the game than kill mob, finish quest, receive loot, and sell loot, turn in quest, go back to game. The game's quests normally are not kill quests, deliver quests, but many of them have an intriguing storyline that goes along with them that ties into the lore. It's the reason I played the game, the quests had more to them that kill or deliver quests.

Why isn't EverQuest II as popular as say, Runescape? The main barrier there is not the content, it is the concept of it being free. I am pretty sure if you added station cash items that make the game not unbalanced but free to play, SOE would lose its core customers and gain about 500,000 more on top of that.

The simple reason? The game would be free, the people that can't handle a 4 gigabyte download are probably going to be stuck playing runescape anyway, and have a terrible connection speed to be even connected to it as well.

I'm just sayin' that yes, the free business model is right, however they're doing it wrong. Yes, charge people for item shop items. No, do not make the game pay to play. No, do not make the item shop items gamebreaking over high-end raid content, Yes, include fluff items with the paying options.

Someday people will get it right.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

I played http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/index.php?sec=0&l=1 for a while, it was alright, better than some others I tried, but none compare to EQ
Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM
bristle
Sarnak

i have played EQ for almost 10 years and i still do. but as for other games, EQ2 and WoW, i have played them but i keep going back to EQ.

in Oct 2007 i started second life. it has it good points and not so good. last year i was doing something things with opensim and realXtend, both are clones to second life. they are serious about what they do so i expect them to be able to supports npcs in the future. i believe right now realXtend does support npcs. i have tried that yet.

in second life itself there is npc support. just havent been done that much yet. i plan to have npcs in "sim" with 50+ and above.

all these thing are free, so it a matter of people trying to do different things with them. i would like to see a EQ-like in opensim. or maybe EQ-like in SL.