Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Wolfshead Sky
Fire Beetle

Default Got a Windows server running. Looking for advice on what to do now.

I finally got a Windows server up and running by using the installer and steps outlined here: http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Akkas_P...ctions-windows

Now what can (or should?) I do?

I'd like to change the database username and password for security (helpful tip from someone in another post). Simply changing the values in the eqemu_config.xml and login.ini files made it to where the server wouldn't start. I suspected that would be the case, but I tried it anyway just in case.

I'd like to start tinkering around with creating new content, new NPCs, etc., but I don't know where to begin with it. From what I can tell, the Windows installer gets you the "default" server with all the code compiled and installed for you. How can I get into the code, poke around with it a bit, and then add it to the installer? Or is there a way to update the server?

Very new at this and just feeling my way around. Very appreciative for any advice .
Old 08-24-2016, 05:48 PM
DanCanDo
Discordant

The database user name and password is part of the actual database server. (Like MariaDB)
That's usually set when the database server is installed, then your server (via the config file),
connects to the database. I don't know much about the MariaDB, so you would have to
search and read how to change the user/password for that.
But as for everything else you want to do, you're on a big journey, like the rest of us.
Reading,searching, more reading, learning, more searching and reading. The knowledge I
have now, (which is not everything), has taken me months of reading and learning, etc.
And I am still doing it (chuckle)
It's all a matter how much you want to learn and how far you want to go. I use google
a lot. (advanced searching) when I am looking for something.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Wolfshead Sky
Fire Beetle

Yea, I figure it'll be a heckuva journey. Just the (relatively) small amount of trouble I've had with the easy (yes, easy...the trouble seems to have been on my end) installer definitely gives me an appreciation for the knowledge and effort that went into projects like this.

I've done a few initial searches. Mostly my trouble comes from not knowing what terminology to use to look things up. That means I miss out on a lot here at the beginning and my searches aren't very efficient. If anyone can give me even a general direction I should be looking in, I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:09 PM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

Think you can change the user and password in HeidiSQL:

Under the query tab:

UPDATE mysql.user SET user='newusername',
password=PASSWORD('newpassword') WHERE user='root';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

(Copy/pasted the above).

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Complet...er_Setup_Guide

That guide above is fairly decent as well. (Slightly out-dated) But overall gets you where you need (if you decide you want bots on the server, not sure if you can add them or not using that installer).

Some pretty basic things you can mess with (I would backup your server before messing around).
eqemu_update.pl - Option 1

Open HeidiSql and type in your password. Under (I assume it is called PEQ) you can go through the different tables.

The rule_values is a good one to go through and set your rules. (Keep in mind under the zones table certain zones are set under specific rulesets. (You can set them all to the same ruleset or change them by zone).

The items table is fairly self explanatory. (Google eqemu items) if you need help figuring out what each column is.

level_exp_mods is another one that is not too difficult to figure out what you are changing.

Some of the tables such as AA's and spells can be fairly easy to update, but are a bit more complicated as it may require you update files in your client).
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Wolfshead Sky
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the info! This should get me started...and know enough to be dangerous .