Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:16 PM
lakelife1998
Fire Beetle

Default Server Looking For A Dev or 2

I own a decent server that I'm looking for a dev or 2 to help further better / Get Zones / Pathing correct. PM me. Must Be a Known Person (100+ posts) or someone who knows what they are doing and wont ghost..
Old 10-18-2014, 12:56 PM
rencro
Hill Giant

In before the self righteousness starts...
Old 10-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Take a look at this thread.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:03 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Also if you are comfortable "hiring" from the forums (not recommended) after reading the information Krab linked, you should at least post what you envision of your server. Your goals, ideas, etc. at least the basics (in case you have unique ideas that you wish to keep to yourself). You'll want to find someone who is truly interested in the "theme" of your server. In that regard, that is why it's best to hire from within, someone who has a nested interest in the success of the server (not to mention the dedication that it takes).
Old 10-19-2014, 02:43 PM
rencro
Hill Giant

You guys crack me up, you remind me of those religious kooks that stand outside an adult book store and when I walk out they start in with the "you are going to hell, you must seek salvation, here take this pamphlet..
Old 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencro View Post
You guys crack me up, you remind me of those religious kooks that stand outside an adult book store and when I walk out they start in with the "you are going to hell, you must seek salvation, here take this pamphlet..
The advice given in the link, I would not consider "gospel" or "the only way", however, it may make her/him aware of possible risks involved.

I believe the good intentions of those such as myself who gave sound advice was at least a worthwhile contribution. If you disagree and have good intentions, then at least make it constructive.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Traul
Hill Giant

Quote:
Lol what. So people advising caution when it comes to trusting other people with your server are akin to religious zealots? Talk about an overreaction.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 PM
rencro
Hill Giant

OP, I think that last video was for you, you see the devs here don't take too kindly too people recruiting devs here and they let you know it.....
Old 10-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
OP, I think that last video was for you, you see the devs here don't take too kindly too people recruiting devs here and they let you know it.....
Not necessarily, it is the first thing I thought of after seeing you guys go back and forth.

Keep in mind a lot of people do not step in the community knowing best practices, pass them to a resource that could help them and that's what I saw appropriately done.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 AM
daerath
Sarnak

Quote:
It isn't paranoia and it isn't an anti-server sentiment. It would be utterly illogical for the community to be anti-server as that would ultimately spell the death of the community.

As for your rejection of common sense advice, lets put it this way. If you need to hire someone to do some work on your house/condo/townhouse/property you own, do you just hire the first person who shows up at your door with a brochure, or do you do some kind of research and then hire someone who may end up being the person who showed up at your door unannounced (they're not all terrible).

Do you get all of your auto body work done by total strangers you meet in gas station parking lots? You know the type. They roll down their window and say, "Hey, you have some body damage, I can fix that for you." No, you find a body shop. Sure. Sometimes those guys aren't useless, but most of the time they do a shitty job and may end up damaging something else in the process.

The OP will end up doing whatever they want. Saying, "Hey, here is some advice you may find helpful." isn't being like a "religious kook". It's the decent thing to do, and if the OP chooses to ignore it and go their own way, then that's their choice.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

rencro = caryatis 2.0 ?

lol
Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 AM
provocating
Demi-God

You also can potentially give someone "the keys to the kingdom", so to speak. It is hard to find someone with the same vision you do.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
rencro = caryatis 2.0 ?

lol
I do not miss that guy one bit. His main thing was making everyone feel inferior.