Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:40 AM
Movement
Sarnak

Default Need some help with a quest.

Im running a quest (task). Lets say activity ID 273. The objective in this specific task is on the last step. The objective requires you to kill a specific named mob. I am killing the mob in question but the quest isnt updating. Can someone tell me (in LUA) what the function is for "on mob death update this objective"? This is what I have below:

Code:

function event_death_complete(e)

e.other:UpdateTaskActivity(273,7,1);
end
end

Or give me a perl version?

Edit: I have spent about two days scouring the internet for a very good quest walkthrough but havent come across anything, I am more than willing to try some suggestions if anyone has a good source!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:53 PM
Movement
Sarnak

Bumping this because I really need help with this :(
Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 AM
Movement
Sarnak

I'm gonna keep bumping this until I can figure it out. I like to think we are a community of people who help one another, for the sake of the community. I am building a server so that my wife and I can play and enjoy. Not compete with anyone else. One day (not any time soon) I will open it for people to play on publicly, but I certainly wont be "competing" with anyone else. I hope no one is choosing to "not help me" simply because they are afraid of me competing with them. And I like to think that there has been at least one person that has read this thread that can help me. Likewise I am still working on this issue, simply because I dont know shit about LUA or Perl or scripting language with regard to EQ and I am learning every day. But that doesnt mean I know everything even though I am smart enough to usually figure it out and move on. But until this gets resolved development of my server is effectively halted. Now, some of you might be saying; "well good! I had to learn on my own, and so do you!", but thats a really shitty attitude to have. And to be honest if someone else on here was asking for help and I knew I could help, i'd certainly try (as I have in the past!). I will keep working on this and checking this post every day, and if I figure out a resolution I will respond with an update so this post can then be ignored. I just hope someone who reads this is compelled to do what we as humans should do when someone asks for help and you know, help them!

(for the record Akkadius did respond to me on another semi-unrelated post and posted some links with some info, so I am going to read those and see if I can figure it out.)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

There is a plugin for perl that can handle this.

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Perl_Pl...rence&frm=Main

Check there for the Tasks_utilis.pl. It may already be in your build just check for it.

Below is an example of how it should work with what you want.

Code:
sub EVENT_DEATH_COMPLETE
{
plugin::UpdateTaskActivity(UpdateType [solo, group, raid], TaskID, ActivityID, Count);
}
Just feel in the fields (solo, group, or raid, the task id etc etc and you should be good to go.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Movement
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrayas View Post
There is a plugin for perl that can handle this.

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Perl_Pl...rence&frm=Main

Check there for the Tasks_utilis.pl. It may already be in your build just check for it.

Below is an example of how it should work with what you want.

Code:
sub EVENT_DEATH_COMPLETE
{
plugin::UpdateTaskActivity(UpdateType [solo, group, raid], TaskID, ActivityID, Count);
}
Just feel in the fields (solo, group, or raid, the task id etc etc and you should be good to go.
Aye, I already tried that. Didn't work. I am going to keep testing and will let everyone know what I find out. Thank you for your reply all the same
Old 11-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Yard Dogg
Sarnak

When looking for "templates" or tasks to learn from, sometimes the obvious is overlooked.
Speak with Guard Rahtiz in Tutorial :P
Old 11-09-2017, 01:34 AM
Movement
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Dogg View Post
When looking for "templates" or tasks to learn from, sometimes the obvious is overlooked.
Speak with Guard Rahtiz in Tutorial :P
I figured out the "issue".. Please see below.

(Quoted from my other post in the other thread.)
Ok... I found the problem and resolved it. And its nothing I was doing wrong. I am actually kind of pissed because I have been working on this crap for 4 days now and yet again I thought it was something on my end but instead it was a PEQ issue.

The problem is, in the mobs name that I am using to trigger the final reward of the "task" he has an apostrophe (') in the middle of his name.

I was totally bewildered as to why this wasnt working. So I made a NEW npc and set him as the quest objective. I made the new NPC's name as "TestMobOne". In the DB, in the perl script file.. everywhere.

I zoned in and got the quest, got to the last part where I had to "kill" my named to complete the task/activity. I spawned my newly created NPC and I got the activity complete dialogue and finished the quest as well as getting the reward like I normally should.

I was even more bewildered but at least since it worked for the very first time I had a glimmer of hope. After some more testing I found out the "bug" was in the mobs name!

As soon as I remove the apostrophe (') from my mobs name it worked with no issues!!!!!

I can have a hashtag in front of his name, underscores to signify "spaces" in the name (if you have a mob like Van Der Horff or something like that.. ie. Decaying_Skeleton>.etc) but as soon as you put that fucking apostrophe, everything comes to a screeching halt!

I had a similar issue like this with a quest in rivervale... The quest would "BUG" out if you put a hyphen (-) in the word Cazic-Thule as a link/keyword. as soon as I removed that fucking hyphen it worked perfectly!

So there seems to be an issue in PEQ with regard to having special characters (apostrophe's and hyphens) in mobs names or in quest links/keywords...

Can we please have a dev look into this because I dont want anyone else to waste their time chasing their tail like I did.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 AM
atrayas
Hill Giant

You can also use the npc id as the name. For example 123456.pl
Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Thalix
Sarnak

Spaces in Names -> Underline "_"
Apostrophe in Names -> Hypgen "-"
Old 11-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Movement
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrayas View Post
You can also use the npc id as the name. For example 123456.pl
Wow thank you, I did not know that! I will probably do this from now on for all my NPCs lol
Old 11-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Movement
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalix View Post
Spaces in Names -> Underline "_"
Apostrophe in Names -> Hypgen "-"
Also did not know this, if the above is correct how do you make a hyphen in a name if a hyphen resorts to an apostrophe? For mob names like Cazic-Thule? And some entries have a 'hashtag' (#) before the name, what does that mean?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Yard Dogg
Sarnak

When naming NPC's, using something like a hashtag "#" in front of a name
simply gives you options of having two seperate NPC id's showing the same
name. The underscore "_", can be included to show a space between, (what
would appear like someone's first and last name).
Examples :

John_Doe and #John_Doe would be two different NPC's but show the same name
in a client window. You can use ###John_Doe for another one as well.
You can have single names, (like Shadowhunter), or you can name it with
underscores A_Shadowhunter, or The_Shadowhunter. The most common use for
the "_" underscore is seperating more than one word in the NPC names.

When creating an NPC and giving it a name, (ingame with GM) using commands
like #npcedit name or npcedit lastname, when giving the NPC a first name, you
can, for example #npcedit name John_Doe but if you use #npcedit lastname,
like #npcedit lastname Spell Merchant, will show up as (Spell Merchant) below
the NPC's main name. (You don't need underscores in lastname use)
Old 11-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Movement
Sarnak

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Dogg View Post
When naming NPC's, using something like a hashtag "#" in front of a name
simply gives you options of having two seperate NPC id's showing the same
name. The underscore "_", can be included to show a space between, (what
would appear like someone's first and last name).
Examples :

John_Doe and #John_Doe would be two different NPC's but show the same name
in a client window. You can use ###John_Doe for another one as well.
You can have single names, (like Shadowhunter), or you can name it with
underscores A_Shadowhunter, or The_Shadowhunter. The most common use for
the "_" underscore is seperating more than one word in the NPC names.

When creating an NPC and giving it a name, (ingame with GM) using commands
like #npcedit name or npcedit lastname, when giving the NPC a first name, you
can, for example #npcedit name John_Doe but if you use #npcedit lastname,
like #npcedit lastname Spell Merchant, will show up as (Spell Merchant) below
the NPC's main name. (You don't need underscores in lastname use)
Thanks for the explanation chief!<3