Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::General Support

Archive::General Support Archive area for General Support's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 05-07-2004, 01:12 PM
UncleFester
Fire Beetle

Default Patching Idea

I know this has been brought up in the past (I just got back from taking a few months off). But I can't believe that we have not simply kept the pre-patch files on an ftp server so that people with brand-new installs could patch to that version without going with the latest.

First off, we know what files are patched from the log. We know which ones to roll back to if the patch occurs. Second, the patch files themselves are usually not in large numbers so bandwidth usage should not be huge for the few people who need the updated, but still pre-patch files.

I can do this on my own if no one else wants to help, but I would still need a place to put these files so other could download and manually patch their installs.

Fester
Old 05-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Charmy
Discordant

One word. Warez. Personally i think its a great idea to have the older files available, hell you could actually get an eq classic server up and running, that would be fun! but problem is that you can get in deep for hosting warez, my suggestion if you want to do it, use some free internet service that doesn't mind off site linking, least you won't be hosting the files yourself, and you don't run much of the risk, not that there is a huge one to start with, but eh... anyway, with all that aside, i sure would love to see some of the older eq files, a few things i have been trying to get to work on my LAN server that you used to be able to do on the older versions before they were patched. Btw i know there was a group of people who used to host the old eqgame.exe files, but they changed their website, or they shutdown i dunno, was called forever hack or forever hackers or somthing, anyhoo good luck and i will look with it =)
Old 05-08-2004, 04:39 AM
mikenune
Discordant

My suggestion: Completely ignore Charmy's suggestion!

Not only will hosting EQ files get you banned from these forums (and from EQEMu) permanently, it could get you thrown in prison!

Hosting warez is both illegal and amoral. Companies take their intellectual property rights very seriously!
Furthermore THE POSTER assumes no responsibility and makes no warranty, guarantee,
or representation for the content of any web or FTP sites linked to or from this
post.

THE POSTER reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under
which THE POSTER presents information. It is the responsibility of THE READER to
regularly review these terms, conditions, and notices. THE READER understands that
the reading of any content including or covered by this disclaimer constitutes THE
READER's acceptance of and agreement to such changes.

THE POSTER retains the right to in any way alter the content of this post at any
time with or without prior notice to THE READER.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:23 AM
UncleFester
Fire Beetle

Default Patching Idea

Look Kiddo. I'm 43 years old. Before you were born I was fighting legal battles over my business (real estate), so I know a little bit about the situation.

The patch files are files already given to us. There is nothing morally wrong about holding those patched files since the person who was going to use those files MUST already have paid for the full install to even have any use for them.

And as far as banning, go ahead, you'll just lose a supporter and contributor who has been halping this project for years.

Fester
Old 05-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Shaun11
Fire Beetle

I would have to agree with UncleFester on this. Though i dont know a lot about the legal system his argument is very true. They give us these patch files willingly and for free. Excluding the major patches like LDoN, GoD, and other expansions. But those we pay for. As long as no one redistibutes the expansion files (which we payed for), just the patch files (for free) there should be no legal penalties. As I said I don't know a lot about the legal system but that is my opinion.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Jezebell
Discordant

The main point against this is that the Developers of EQEmu do not want to draw Sony's attention to their project. Hosting Everquest files could possibly lead to that. I don't think it is so much the legalities of doing so as the unwanted attention that it could draw here. Like has been posted many times before....if Sony sued EQEmu or the people that run it, they do not have the finances to support paying lawyers to defend them in the lawsuit and Sony does. I'm pretty sure thats what it comes down to.
The First Age Website

Running on: Asus A7N8X-Deluxe, AMD Athlon XP 2100+, Geil 1024MB PC3200 Ultra DDR RAM,
WD 40GB 7200rpm ATA-100 HDD, Visiontek 128MB Geforce4 TI 4400, Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 05-08-2004, 07:35 AM
UncleFester
Fire Beetle

Default Patching

I'm not talking about saving those files and letting people downloading them as much as I am simply making a patch system that patches to those files, even if the person patched to the latest live patch. No one would even know they were getting pre-live patch files unless of they read this message = )

Same patch system of the commercial servers, just that we are patching to what we know works.

Fester
Old 05-08-2004, 09:09 AM
mikenune
Discordant

Default Re: Patching Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester
Look Kiddo. I'm 43 years old. Before you were born I was fighting legal battles over my business (real estate), so I know a little bit about the situation.

The patch files are files already given to us. There is nothing morally wrong about holding those patched files since the person who was going to use those files MUST already have paid for the full install to even have any use for them.

And as far as banning, go ahead, you'll just lose a supporter and contributor who has been halping this project for years.

Fester
So what? They're still EQ game files and, as such, the property of SoE and Verant.

The thing you're so blatantly ignoring is that you, in fact, DIDN'T get those files for free. You payed for them when you bought the EQ CDs.

But let's ignore that fact for a second. In fact, let's use an example like MySQL which DOES give their software away for free.

What do you think MySQL Inc. would do if you were providing their software without their permission?

You're still attempting to privide software and program files created and actively supported by another company WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT. That's still illegal no matter how you try to justify it to yourself.

And, while we're on the subject of legal battles, I also would like to point out that intellectual property (like software) is completely different than physical property (like real estate). I, as someone who manages data warehousing for a fast food chain, can guarantee that I am significantly more qualified to talk about the legalities of software distribution than you are. Just like you are, without a doubt, more qualified to talk about the legal aspects of your job.

Oh, one last thing. Don't call me "kiddo," old man.
Furthermore THE POSTER assumes no responsibility and makes no warranty, guarantee,
or representation for the content of any web or FTP sites linked to or from this
post.

THE POSTER reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under
which THE POSTER presents information. It is the responsibility of THE READER to
regularly review these terms, conditions, and notices. THE READER understands that
the reading of any content including or covered by this disclaimer constitutes THE
READER's acceptance of and agreement to such changes.

THE POSTER retains the right to in any way alter the content of this post at any
time with or without prior notice to THE READER.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Jezebell
Discordant

Hosting the files so people can download them or creating a patcher that downloads them to peoples computers is the exact same thing. Either way, if you are somehow providing the files to people who may not have purchased those files retail from Sony, that is what is looked down upon.

EQEMulator Forum Rules!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by image
1) No Warez (No Discussion or Providing of Warez). Warez is any file that has been obtained without purchase from the company or a "legit" vendor, or without the sole permission of the owner, or company is considered illegal and is not permitted on these forums. This also includes all EQ files and also means do NOT ask, give out, host, or in some other way promote the giving out of these files. This includes but is not limited to: The EQ Patcher, eqgame.exe, eqmain.dll, spdat.eff, cshome.s3d, cshome_chr.s3d, or ANY file downloaded with the Verant EQ Patcher (aka Everquest.exe) with the exeption of files that can be re-created within 10 seconds by hand (this means eqhost.txt is okay).
The First Age Website

Running on: Asus A7N8X-Deluxe, AMD Athlon XP 2100+, Geil 1024MB PC3200 Ultra DDR RAM,
WD 40GB 7200rpm ATA-100 HDD, Visiontek 128MB Geforce4 TI 4400, Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 05-08-2004, 09:30 AM
UncleFester
Fire Beetle

Default Patching

No one would be the wiser is what I am saying. Even if they could sue, so what? Anyone can sue anyone else over anything. The point is they most likely would never sue anyone over making their own patch system. They would have to prove that the patch system was providing files that originated from their corporation in the first place.

All those things being said, there would be very little if any chance they would sue anyone. And even if they did, some of us have attorney's we keep a retainer on we would be happy to put to good use..........

Oh, and sorry about the Kiddo thing if you take offense to that. At my age I now know I didn't know crap at 20 even though I thought I knew everything. So I understand your mindset fully. If you however would like to trade places, I would be happy to be 20 again.

Fester
Old 05-08-2004, 09:30 AM
freak88
Fire Beetle

enuff about creating a "patch server and patch client" it has been done, there was a reason it was stopped. as for distributing sony`s property to other people, it is illegal. while installing you accept the agreement that says you will not modify or redistribute files obtained from the instilation or from files downloaded from soe. accepting that licence agreement is like accpeting the property contract from realistate, once you sign/click accept, you must follow it. the only thing sony has on this project. is money, and without a valid case that wont get them very far. which is prolly why they havent touched it yet. as long as the devs arnt using any of the functions from the game or live servers(which they arnt) soe cant touch eqemu. but what they can do is say that the dev`s disassembled there property, get a huge legal team togather, and start throwing money at a case, and like the dev`s have said many times they do not have the cash to throw back at sony, and will be stuck with a legal system provided lawer. which will still take all the cash the dev`s have obtained.
so basicly its.

Lay low keep soe off our shit
or
renegate against sony and be shut down
they chose to lay low, giving you guys an alternate reality to play in.

so shut the fuck up, follow the guides RTFM. and quit asking questions like this
Old 05-08-2004, 09:43 AM
UncleFester
Fire Beetle

Default Patching

If they are really that paranoid and worried about it, then it's best just to make a new game. Screw messing with old broken borrowed stuff using an old graphics engine simply so a few teenagers can play for free. It just ends up always being a half working project slowly running out of time, and with no patcher.

Fester
Old 05-08-2004, 09:54 AM
freak88
Fire Beetle

Default Re: Patching

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester
If they are really that paranoid and worried about it, then it's best just to make a new game. Screw messing with old broken borrowed stuff using an old graphics engine simply so a few teenagers can play for free. It just ends up always being a half working project slowly running out of time, and with no patcher.

Fester
ok... obviusly you dont know what your talking about. none of the shit is "borowed" they arnt using the grafix engine. the code is 100% writen by them, and if you have looked at it and knew anything about coding you would notice it isnt exactly some small project,\. as for the comment about half working, you obviusly have not been in the opensource scene to long. if people here that are capable of coding would contribute to this(oh yea people this is open source), then we will have some decent software, this project is hosted at sourceforge, dev changes can be submited via cvs and then the actual dev`s can look at it and aprove it for inclusion or whatever. that is the beuty of open source, never ending upgrades, evin without the core devteam someone else could pick this project back up at any time.

ok and now on to faster who thinks this project will fail cause there is no patcher to make his life easyer. why dont you take your 35 dollars and pay for sony`s live access if you dont like ours? why can you not read the manual`s and follow the fucking guides? if you did you would realise that a patcher is not needed. i bet your one of those people who buys a model car and puts it togather without directs. if you are... you dont belong in the opensource world.

this is our world... so get the fuck out
Old 05-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Derision
Developer

freak88:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96

Rule 2. No flames. If you disagree with UncleFester, be polite and argue your case. There is no no need to resort to swearing at him.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:08 AM
volcom
Sarnak

<3