Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 01-24-2002, 05:59 AM
Draugr
Hill Giant

Default EQEMu Mods? Anyone planning any?

Just curious any programmers out there who are not part of the team, planning on taking the open source and making modifications to it? I'm hoping to create a EQEmu mod called EZEQ. I'd like to use the original D&D like rulebase to make the mod. My whole thing is that EQs ruleset is geared for teams and large amounts of people. If one runs a small server it will be impossible to solo certain things or visit certain zones due to difficulty, so I'm planning on making an alternate version of EQEmu that will use a much more simplistic rulebase. I'm in the planning stages just trying to see what changes will have to be made. Then I'll be talking with a friend who is a prgorammer in C++ and he will try to help implement my ideas. I myself am a basic C++ programmer at best. Anyhow, is anyone else planning on doing a modified EQEMu server? I'm just curious.

P.S: If anyone else is interested in my above ideas and would like to either help or talk aobut it, you can email me at johndraugr@hotmail.com or find me on MSN Instant Messenger.

Take Care All
Draugr

P.S.S: Love the work this team has done! Great work guys!
Old 01-24-2002, 08:19 AM
Bunga
Sarnak

This can't be that complex can it? I mean you would just have to change the combat formulas, possibly the hatelist, the factions and some of the skills and spells right?
Old 01-24-2002, 08:34 AM
Draugr
Hill Giant

Thats what I'm anticipating. As I'm going along writing ideas I'm thinking it may be best to make a hybrid type ruleset. Use EQs AC rating, but have items/spells do D&D like damage, have mobs with exp/loot and dam like D&D, change combat formulas to be a bit like D&D and EQ maybe, also change the exp needed for a class to advance and how many HPs are awarded to a player for advancement from one level to the next. Still, working on the paper work. Once I get some solid ideas down I'll look into having it programed in
Old 01-24-2002, 09:04 AM
Bunga
Sarnak

If anyone makes a storywizard, I'd love to write some modules. Im even below the script kiddie level, and almost need guis.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:36 AM
Yodason
Hill Giant

MUCH harder then it sounds IMHO =p
Old 01-24-2002, 09:58 AM
hogger
Sarnak

Default You could actually make it D&D if you wanted.

With the new 3rd edition, and the Open Gaming Lisence, you can in fact use the 'd20 system' in your own products. The whole system (in it's vanilla-non-T$R format) is maintained at: http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html

If you use only the content that has been approved and abide by their rules, you can legally do it. And it has specifically been addressed whether it makes a difference that it is on paper or on the PC - it doesn't. Just so long as the code containing the game mechanics meets the rules. It's all on WoTC's site too.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Ztaar
Fire Beetle

On of my hopes for this project is, that we get some nice custom worlds out there with custom rules.
An EQ server at home is (at least for me) rather useless for playing, since there is no way I am going to be able to do the stuff I do on Verant servers. Imagine me, alone on my server, going to see if Zlandicar is up
I don't know if anyone is working on a utility to actually create new zones, but it would be great to have.
A whole new world for the server is not my primary concern right now. There are a lot of stuff that has to be made fully functional before such things become a real issue
Old 01-25-2002, 02:26 AM
Bunga
Sarnak

It is being worked on, but it is a huge, difficult task.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Rico
Fire Beetle

Default Game mods?

Could you in a sense change the 'rules' of EQ, like they did in starcraft. If you've ever played a custom Magic the Gathering Map for Starcraft you know what im talking about. For Example, could you have the only zones up be, Tox-Erudin-Paineel. The only two classes you can choose would be Erudite/Magician/Paladin(Erudin Start Zone) Or you could choose to be Erudite/Necromancer/Shadowknight(Paineel Startzone) and have almost a Bloodbath scenario. Every time an enemy is killed a Skeleton Spawns outside the Entry zone to Paineel/Erudin,When there are '50 Ghosts of Paineel Citizens' outside Erudin walls,the world broadcasts'The kindhearted Erudites of Erudin have vanquished their heretic brethren,the battle ends for now' the zone crashes and depops the game is over, Erudin Wins.

Im not sure if something like this could be attemped,but I would love to see it possible.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:52 AM
madborg
Banned

Default Re: Game mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico
Could you in a sense change the 'rules' of EQ
Yes, as long as it's server side things. There really isn't much that you can't do on the server once you have all the hooks like scripting mob movement and things like that.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:50 AM
Bunga
Sarnak

You could change client side things too, but then you would have to distribute the changes.

And I am not sure if that is allowed.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:09 PM
Hmm
Discordant

yeah like spell data file. it will be able to be edited later but everyone connecting to altered spells server must have same spells version.

edit: anyone know if spells is editable, will there be ability to have more than 3 effects? ie: -10 hp a tick, invisablity, levitate and -400 hp
Old 01-29-2002, 09:46 PM
Coder?
Fire Beetle

Default Spell effects

If you download my spell viewer in the 3rd party area, you'll notice that spells can have up to 12 effects total.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:00 AM
Rico
Fire Beetle

So , anyone plan on working on something like I posted earlier. If I knew how I would but...when it comes to coding I don't know my elbow from my ass